LED bulbs for brakelight/indicator....why use em ?
  • Help

Default LED bulbs for brakelight/indicator....why use em ?

I am overseas at the moment and on a hot day when my brain was only working at 50%, I bought a pair of LED bayonet-type bulbs suitable for brake / indicator lights, with 9 LEDs in each. They were much cheaper than in Oz, so I bought em.
    But later, I realized that it would be pointless using them as they only give out light in one direction.....straight ahead.....whereas incandescent bulbs give out light almost spherically, so that the reflector beside and even behind them can catch the light and channel it through the plastic lens.

Advertisement

So why do some people use them ???

( Sigh )....maybe I'll take them apart and use both units in my interior light.....they will definitely give more light than the incandescent bulb, and the plastic lens will heat up less.

There are a few reasons to use LED's.

Firstly as they use less power they reduce the load on the alternator thus improving fuel economy. The lower power drain also reduces the current going through the light switch and wiring prolonging it's life and maybe reducing the chance of fire... especially useful in an old car.

LED's also produce less heat that an incandescent and so are less likely to cook the tail light lens, again a good idea in an older car.

Road safety researchers say that the LEDs in brake lights improve safety as they illuminate quicker when turned on giving drivers behind a fraction of a second more warning.

It seems though that you have the wrong style of LED. There is a dual filament globe that has the multiple diodes in an array that mimics an incandescent globe and so are more suitable for retro fit in lamps designed before LEDs. The ones you described are pretty useless in a parabolic reflector.

These would work:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED bulbs for brakelight/indicator....why use em ?-led-stop-tail.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

WLB

I'm a big fan of LEDs and have been since they first appeared in the '60s. I use LED festoons in car interior lights because they are brighter and don't cook the lens. They are also very good in trailer light assemblies as they are more durable and the lamp assembly can be sealed.

But some of the reasons given for their use in cars are a bit theoretical. When they eventually get affordable LED headlights into cars, that will make a difference to alternator load and fuel efficiency, but stop, park and taillights are such a small part of the electrical load on a modern car that you would be hard pressed to notice any fuel savings using LEDs.

They do light instantly and will beat an incandescent bulb to full brightness by fractions of a second, but if that makes a useful difference to braking response times, then you would be driving too close to the car in front anyway.

if you sand the individual led lights with a fine sand paper they will get a mat finish and that will let them shine in every direction. Done it already several times and works like a charm.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Banned

all that aside, the reason people put them in is because they are new, and people love new things.

And no evidence is left for the crash investigators. By looking at the old style brake filaments, you can tell if the brake lights were on when rear ended. I guess in the future, it will be inevitable all cars will be fitted with black boxes.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    And no evidence is left for the crash investigators. By looking at the old style brake filaments, you can tell if the brake lights were on when rear ended. I guess in the future, it will be inevitable all cars will be fitted with black boxes.

David.
    They also measured the skid marks and a lack of them generally indicated that the person didn't brake. Now with ABS, these are eliminated too.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen_s View Post
    if you sand the individual led lights with a fine sand paper they will get a mat finish and that will let them shine in every direction. Done it already several times and works like a charm.
    Now that is a good idea - I must try it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    all that aside, the reason people put them in is because they are new, and people love new things.
    That's the basis of a lot of it. It's funny, but if I use LEDs on a car I prefer to use them for their durability and low heat qualities, and where they aren't necessarily obviously LEDs. I first used them in the late '60s when I modified the instrument panel on my FJ to take oil pressure and temperature gauges, and an ammeter. I fitted a red LED adjacent to each gauge so that the warning lights were retained. Ever since then I've sort of viewed LEDs as DIY things. As a consequence to my eye, cars such as Audis that have rows of "eyebrow" LEDs look cheap and tacky. It's the same with the aftermarket Commodore white eyebrow LEDs and any car where the LEDs can be seen as individual dots behind the rear light lenses.
    Last edited by WLB; 17th June 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Incidentally, re black boxes, looks like they are going to push to mandate them in all vehicles in the US. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...s-common-cars/

David.