Lowering 205gti rear beam :|
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Lowering 205gti rear beam :|

G'day,
    Today my rear beam bearing kit came in and tomorrow I should hopefully be installing that and lowering it. I read a thread about it before AF was reset and its seemed a bit confusing. Any important directions or tips before I start ripping it apart?

Cheers
    Lewis

Advertisement

Hi Lewis,

I am doing my beam in the next month aswell. I got these two documents from 205gti drivers - Author is Wurzel

Can I ask what kit you purchased ?

Edit - Im having problems adding an attachment here. Go to http://www.205gtidrivers.com and look in the column to the left "rear beam refurb guide"
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 8th June 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Monkey, I just got one off ebay, it was about $100 shipped. It's genuine peugeot part so im happy. I wasn't too fussed beacuse mine isn't in a bad state, I mainly got it because it was highly recommended if you're going to to go to the effort of lowering it.

Oohh geezz if you paid $100.00 then it sounds like you only purchased one kit (for one side). You actually need two kits for both sides.

There is about 5 - 6 bearings / seals per side. Maybe worth a check befor you start pulling it apart.

...also - watch the youtube video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0530521732096#

It's in about 2 episodes and shows the adjusting of the rear beam ride height.

Regards,
    Moo
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 8th June 2011 at 12:28 PM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Banned

i know this is a rather gratuitous thing to say in this thread, and spoken out of ignorance about the 205, but what an utterly brilliant rear suspension unit! it is remarkable that it hasnt been copied in lots of other cars.

one thing i note, however, is that in the wheeler dealers video they are raising the rear suspension height back to spec to improve handling, but i see lewis you intend lowering it. i cant help thinking of Bigrr's comments in another thread about how well the stock setup works for him in autocrossing.

If your doing the beam properly you need new trailing arm shafts too. They are the expensive parts. There are 2 bearings per side. Lowering wont hurt as long as its not too low. 30mm Max.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information