205 wont start
  • Help

Thread: 205 wont start

Default 205 wont start

My 205 wont start, it has spark but no there is no fuel at the fuel rail or before the filter. Has power to the fuel pump according to test lamp. Is there something elses that will stop fuel pump from working? Like a sticky check valve or a faulty fuel pressure reg, Tachymetric relay? Im not sure how it all works.

Advertisement

I would have thought that if it has power to the pump and your turn ignition on that the pump would pump?

Can fuel pump be tested by pulling it out and running 12 volts through it? Or as mentioned above is there something else that would stop it from working? I thought some sort of cut off switch but it seems to have power, so maybe a pressure related mechanical thing or something?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

try crimping the return line on the pressure reg while trying to start it and see if that works

how much fuel is in the tank as the pickup might not be getting enough fuel
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Fuel pump power

Does the pump have a negative power? Is it earthed? It's a common mistake to check to see if a electrical devise has a positive supply pressuming the negatve is just always there.

Put a good wattage light globe across the terminals if the fuel pump (not the positive wire only and earth elswhere).

Sounds like there is a resistance in the supply somewhere. This will give a reading on a meter to say power is there but no good current to run the pump.

Have a look at the tach relay up under the dash near your right knee (usually purple or green). Mine used to get that hot it was also half black! There is a way to test the circuit by shorting the main cable (at the relay) to get the pump running. If thats ok, then go to the pump.

Can you hear the pump run?

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

cant hear pump. i think its a earth problem after having a play in the snow outside tonight. originally i only checked to see if power was coming through 1 wire but i used the body as the earth not the loom it only shows power when turning starter over, i guess this is right? there is no power when ignition is at run.

i checked with multimeter through the plug and when cranked over it shows no current flow unless i earth to body of car. need to find where that fuel pump wire earths. and hopefully thats the fix. could go back to tach relay? electrical not my strong point

1000+ Posts

Default pump

dont know about 205 but 405 has lift pump in the tank and a pressure pump underneath ,the circuit goes to the tank pump and then to the pressure pump, tank pump accesible under back seat on 405 ,pressure pump may have power and even running but no fuel supply from tank ,just a thaught .PUGS

The easy fix there would be just to give it a new earth near the pump. Tracking earths are a pain in the bum. Undo some tape, slice the earth lead and screw it to an unpainted surface to get a good earth near the pump.

See how you go with that. The positive is switched from the tach relay so a new earth should solve the problem. From memory, I think the earth leads back to a earthing connector behind the rear LHS tail light although if this were the problem, your fuel gauge would be playing up aswell..

...and for the snow ??? Mate I feel for ya!

Moo

funny you mention the fuel gauge it hasnt moved much regardless of the 20ltrs of fresh fuel i have put in it! will be checking that rear taillight area out.

From inside the hatch, behind the LHS tail light, in a panel opening there is a multi pin plug that is full of earths (green wire with yellow trace). On mine this was very loose and dirty. A good clean and tighten of everything solved lots of problems...... Still don't know if the fuel pump earth belongs to it but never the less, It was causing my gauge to re-inact my wedding night dance!

Moo

checked earth near lhs taillight and although it seemed ok i cleaned it and tested pump again. still no pumping? it seems to be better when i tested the plug that plugs into fuel pump im gettin full current through the loom but when i plug it into the pump and test on the earth side out of the pump when turning over there is a very weak current. also fuel guage is not working but it has fuel. does anyone know where the fuel sender unit is?

anyone got a spare fuel pump they want to sell?

the tach reley seems to be doing some click on and off with the ignition key also so i cant rule that out either

The fuel sender is right beside the fuel pump .. well in the same area on top of the tank.

Might be time to pull the pump out and have a look for damage. It can be removed from the top of the tank easily.

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    anyone got a spare fuel pump they want to sell?
    You should find who bought that Blue 205 off eBay.... they'll probably sell the fuel pump out of it.....

Chris

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    You should find who bought that Blue 205 off eBay.... they'll probably sell the fuel pump out of it.....

Chris
    would it be any good though ? apparently everything that could possibly be wrong with a car was wrong with that one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    would it be any good though ? apparently everything that could possibly be wrong with a car was wrong with that one
    thats what i thought, but after looking at it in the flesh it wasnt that bad just had the same problems as every other 205 out there plus it was a non runner. body was better than everyone made out. all i can say is i hope they didnt pay too much for it it certainly stirred up the forum and had loads of potential, so its got something going for it i spose
    Last edited by djvu205; 9th June 2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

will be pulling pump out of my miami red gti today and having a look. also might try replacing the pressure regulator with a spare i have. also need to get hold of a good tach relay to eliminate that.

before you do all of that, disconnect the normal supply to the pump and stick a direct line from the battery to it. This will soon tell you if the pump is at fault.

moo

all sorted it was the pump swapped it for the fuel pump out of the si and it now gets fuel and starts but wont run too good. are si and gti pumps different? where does one by a new pump?

EAI? ebay?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information