205 GTI timing belt question
  • Help

Default 205 GTI timing belt question

Pulled apart the timing gear off a S/H engine and found the belt was riding off to the engine side (scraped the platics a bit). About 3-4mm.

Does anyone know why and how to correct it?

Advertisement

I don't find this normal, so I am looking into some sort of fix. The only bit that has a guard/guide to it is the crankshaft sprocket so I guess that will determine where the belt rides. I was thinking of using some sort of spacer behind it to make sure the belt rides centered on all other ancillaries. The sprocket is wider than the belt though, so not sure how much it can help.

This may not fix the problem, but hope it will alleviate the effects.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Maybe buy a new tensioner??

Not sure. Is the cam wheel in good nick? I couldn't imagine how it could sustain any serious wear though. Unless the belt was put on incorrectly to begin with.

Strange one....

Chris

Everything is good order. I took everything apart because I want to do the cambelt (waterpump, tensioner, crank and camshaft seal, etc.).

Not sure why the belt is running to one side. Nothing to worry about, but I thought I would just throw the question here. In my experience, very few belts run dead center (except for when there is some serious problem like a misaligned tensioner, etc). One exception is a Honda I passed on to my son whose cambelt run dead center but in this case, the sprocket with the guides was exactly the same width as the belt, so there was very good side control there.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

2 of my old 205 gti's suffered with this so it would be intersting to see what causes it???...

From what I can see it's the timing belt being too narrow (or the pulleys/sprockets too wide if you will) which allows it to "choose" which side it will run on. I will look into some sort of guides on the crank or cam pulley. Maybe machine down the crank pulley so the side guides come closer together. We'll see.

A really elegant solution would be to find a belt exactly the width of the crank pulley which would make the guides effective.

Thread Information