info about VIV's
  • Help

Default info about VIV's

I'm thinking of buying a vehicle that is bent, and it will need a viv, so just after some info
    I know nothing about getting a VIV in victoria or any other state for that matter.

What happens if a vehicle fails? Can it be presented again?
    Do they provide you with info about what/why it failed?

Advertisement

It says you need to document your repairs?
    To what extent, how etc?

Any information would be more than I have now.

Thanks in advance

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...inspection.htm

It's pretty well covered here.

If it fails the first time, they slug you for future inspections. I was with the inspector at the time of check.

FWIW I've found them more accommodating when inspecting older vehicles. The young dudes haven't got a clue about the vehicle and the older guys, who have nothing to prove take over. In fact I've had some interesting chats.

Beware of rust - they have "chassis cams" which are inserted into the drain holes and can look for rust deep inside the chassis!

Thanks for the link robmac, however it would appear the whole of the vicroads website is down, since last night, pretty poor form.

I'll check out the link when the site comes back up, but does anyone have any more info.
    Reason: I sort of need to make the decision in a few hours time.
    It's a motorbike, but not a HD so chassis rust shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
    L

Quote Originally Posted by gsmack View Post
    Thanks for the link robmac, however it would appear the whole of the vicroads website is down, since last night, pretty poor form.
    Could be your browser, my father in law had the same problem all last week. An update to Internet Exploder fixed the problem.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

DONT use the inspector in Altona... They are one of those "I know more about your car than you" arrogant places with the little man syndrome.

Made a huge deal out of inspecting my light hail damaged Xsara (that had an exemption anyway...). I joked that Vicroads must be makign a fortune from that hailstorm, and they launched into a tirade about ignarant people like me who didnt understand the process and i didnt know hwat I was talkign about etc etc.... Very weird.

They still wanted to remove splash gaurds etc to inspect for accident repairs and wanted me to waive them of liability if any damage was incurred in the process!!

No chance of being anywhere near the car when they looked at it.

Anyway, short version is that it really has to be worth the hassle, and any car needing a VIV is best avoided....

Thread Information