504 (TI) Tyre Decisions - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 504 (TI) Tyre Decisions

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nickc View Post
    would i be righ tin saying that 195/65 is 126.75mm & the extra inch on the alloys being 24.5mm make that 150.25mm whereas the original at 175/80 were 140mm?
    NC
    If you are going to compare wheel sizes you need to consider the diameter, which is 2 x sidewall height + wheel size.

195x65x15

2 x (195x0.65) + (15x25.4) = 634.5mm (overall diameter)

Advertisement

175x80x14

2 x (175x0.8) + (14x25.4) = 635.6mm
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

thx PurJohn

I'm leaning towards the originals (175/80/14s Continenetal ContactEco 3s 4x$160 +$60 (WhlAlgn) =$700) so i can keep the wheels i have experience with.
    While I like the idea of alloys & having more stability on the road with 195 tyres, I'm concerned I might be buying into trouble & having even harder steering around car parks. ($500 alloys + $600+$60 = $1160) Any thoughts? Nickc

I'm leaning towards the originals (175/80/14s Continenetal ContactEco 3s 4x$160 +$60 (WhlAlgn) =$700) so i can keep the wheels i have experience with.
    While I like the idea of alloys & having more stability on the road with 195 tyres, I'm concerned I might be buying into trouble & having even harder steering around car parks. ($500 alloys + $600+$60 = $1160) Any thoughts? Nickc
    Do a power steer conversion. That definitely will make a difference. Get the 505 wheels at the same time as the steer parts.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

VIP Sponsor

Thx Graham. Do you mean G-Force Sport?
    Nothing coming up for GTs from Goodrich
    G-Force don't seem to come in 185/75 R14s
    NC
    Sorry, Sport T/A. 195 70 14s available. There is a set of 6 by 14 alloys for sale on Ebay at the moment, you would get them for around $100 I would think.
    http://www.tyreshop.com.au/shop/inde...&product_id=62

The G-Force are a fantastic tyre but higher performance so not available in the older sizes.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 20th May 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Thx Graham
    Looks interesting indeed
    Nickc

do you know what conti's they are?
    N
    Probably the Eco Contact 3

is 175/80 a rare & expensive size these days?
    N
    This size fits 3 cars that I know of, 504, 505 & Merc W123.

Check this website, it should give an idea which tire makers have the size you want
    http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

Choosing 185/75 returns very few tires and they are all van tires but 175/80 shows a lot more.
    Hope it helps.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Thx Chadi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Doush_504 View Post
    Probably the Eco Contact 3

This size fits 3 cars that I know of, 504, 505 & Merc W123.

Check this website, it should give an idea which tire makers have the size you want
    http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

Choosing 185/75 returns very few tires and they are all van tires but 175/80 shows a lot more.
    Hope it helps.
    A few years back, VW Golfs used 175 80 14s.
    The owners didn't like this and replaced them with more fashionable wheels and tyres.
    The upshot was that for a while top quality near new European made Michelin and Firestone tyres were available for 504 owners at $30 each.
    Graham

Thanks Froggers, I went with the Goodrich Sports as I managed to get some 6x14" alloys off ebay
    The total cost was the same as getting the Continentals
    Pretty happy with that
    Thanks again
    Nickc

Photos in the "Seeking nuts" thread in the Parts (Wanted) Section
    NC

Fellow Frogger!

I've settled on the originals 175/80 for lighter steering having some time ago moved away from the 185/75s although I may have to try those again if the 80 profiles fully disappear.

I have Continentals (most recent purchase a few months ago) having been steered away from the Michelin equivalents a few years ago. Very happy with the Continentals.

1000+ Posts

is 175/80 a rare & expensive size these days?
    N
    Hello Nick, yes it is. A bit late for you but I would have gone for Continental Ecocontact3 tyres in 185/70-14 on a 5" rim. Yes it will be a bit low-geared (it roughly equates to a 165/180-14 in diameter) but you will soon adjust. Any Michelin "Energy" tyres - XM1 included - have poor wet grip compared to the Eco3. A good site for tyre size comparisons is the tire size calculator at www.1010tires.com. The bfgs are ok (nicely crisp in the dry) but watch out for rather less grip in the wet.

cheers! Peter

I know this is an old thread, but as it's time for me to buy tyres for my 504, I thought it might be a good time to revisit this topic a few years down the track. Has anyone had any recent experience fitting a modern (i.e not antique or classic) tyre to a standard 504 rim? I'm aware of the supplication of 185/75's in recent times (in fact the car currently has Bridgestone B249's in that size), but in the interest of drivability and originality I have my heart set on a 175/80 tyre. The Conti Eco contact 3 (mentioned above) was my first choice, but even it is proving hard to find. Interestingly, Dunlop has a listing for a 175/80 SP sport 200E which I may enquire about over the phone....but no other manufacturer that supplies locally seem to have anything close these days.

The Black circles UK website has some terrific stuff, but it looks as if none of those are available locally.

I'm not interested in swapping to 505 wheels, (valid idea though it is) so let's keep that one for another discussion. I'm afraid for me, a 504 is not quite right without the steel rims with the eight little oval slots...I just love them!!

Can anyone recommend a good tyre retailer that doesn't mind going the extra mile and/or thinking outside the box? I'm willing to travel.

Does anyone have any other tyre suggestions?

Also, if any of the guys who wrote above are still running around on tyres purchased around the time above, how are they going?

thanks!
    Brett

1976 504 Ti (Avocado green)
    1997 106 GTi (Diablo Red NZ daily driver)
    2000 306 XT (soon to be NZ daily driver)
    1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Quote Originally Posted by Cruise504 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but as it's time for me to buy tyres for my 504, I thought it might be a good time to revisit this topic a few years down the track. Has anyone had any recent experience fitting a modern (i.e not antique or classic) tyre to a standard 504 rim? I'm aware of the supplication of 185/75's in recent times (in fact the car currently has Bridgestone B249's in that size), but in the interest of drivability and originality I have my heart set on a 175/80 tyre. The Conti Eco contact 3 (mentioned above) was my first choice, but even it is proving hard to find. Interestingly, Dunlop has a listing for a 175/80 SP sport 200E which I may enquire about over the phone....but no other manufacturer that supplies locally seem to have anything close these days.

The Black circles UK website has some terrific stuff, but it looks as if none of those are available locally.

I'm not interested in swapping to 505 wheels, (valid idea though it is) so let's keep that one for another discussion. I'm afraid for me, a 504 is not quite right without the steel rims with the eight little oval slots...I just love them!!

Can anyone recommend a good tyre retailer that doesn't mind going the extra mile and/or thinking outside the box? I'm willing to travel.

Does anyone have any other tyre suggestions?

Also, if any of the guys who wrote above are still running around on tyres purchased around the time above, how are they going?

thanks!
    Brett
    Hi mate,

Most tyres with an 80 profile these days are sized without the profile. By this I mean that instead of 175/80R14, they are sized as 175R14. Any tyre size listed without a profile will be an 80 series.
    You should find that a search for 175R14 will give you a couple more options, however the vast majority of these will be LT tyres. This may not necessarily be a bad thing though.
    Good luck with your search, sorry I can't give you any recommendations, even though I am in the tyre industry I very rarely see this size anymore and I'm not currently in a position to check what is out there (working in a dealership workshop rather than a tyre store at the moment).
    As I'm sure you're aware, 185/75R14 was always a much more common size, which is why there is still more available, and why almost all the 504s out there have been changed to that size at some stage.

Cheers, Lee

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    BIGRR likes this.

Thanks Lee, I didn't know that, and you're right, it did make a difference to the search results. There are actually a few choices, see below

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy69 View Post
    Hi mate,

Most tyres with an 80 profile these days are sized without the profile. By this I mean that instead of 175/80R14, they are sized as 175R14. Any tyre size listed without a profile will be an 80 series.
    You should find that a search for 175R14 will give you a couple more options, however the vast majority of these will be LT tyres. This may not necessarily be a bad thing though.
    Good luck with your search, sorry I can't give you any recommendations, even though I am in the tyre industry I very rarely see this size anymore and I'm not currently in a position to check what is out there (working in a dealership workshop rather than a tyre store at the moment).
    As I'm sure you're aware, 185/75R14 was always a much more common size, which is why there is still more available, and why almost all the 504s out there have been changed to that size at some stage.

Cheers, Lee

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

This is what is out there for me at present, according to my friendly tyre retailer. By no means definitive.

in 175/80 -

Dunlop Eco contact (i suspect this may be a Fulda tyre). Both Dunlop and Fulda are owned by Goodyear. Made in Poland.

in 185/75 -

Kumho Solus KR21
    Maxxis MA1 (available with or without whitewall)
    Nexen CP661
    Nankang N605
    Hankook K715

still weighing up the choices. Any comment welcome!!

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Hmm, tyre choice can be a tough one. It all comes down to what you want to spend and how you use the car. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dunlop, they are usually overpriced and tend to go lumpy and noisy. The other options you listed are all at the budget end of the scale and will all do a very similar (and decent) job. In saying that, you won't find anything performance oriented in that size. Another coupla options that are still available are Bridgestone's b249 and Bob Jane All Rounder. The Bridgestone is probably not worth the extra $, however it could be worth speaking to a Bridgestone store and asking about Supercat tyres. These are B/stone's budget brand, only available at their stores. I've fitted many over the years and have run them myself, and found them to be quite reasonable.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cruise504 View Post
    This is what is out there for me at present, according to my friendly tyre retailer. By no means definitive.

in 175/80 -

Dunlop Eco contact (i suspect this may be a Fulda tyre). Both Dunlop and Fulda are owned by Goodyear. Made in Poland.

in 185/75 -

Kumho Solus KR21
    Maxxis MA1 (available with or without whitewall)
    Nexen CP661
    Nankang N605
    Hankook K715

still weighing up the choices. Any comment welcome!!
    As you realise, you have limited choice. Much depends on what qualities you prioritise & no tyre excels on every parameter of appraisal as these conflict.

So, for instance, the N605 priorities longevity & the compounding qualities associated with this militate against wet grip. I suggest that for a relatively low use classic car, tyres will expire of old age (5 to 10 years old) before being worn out & wet grip is a more important quality.

If this is accepted, then most of the available candidates get culled.

Dunlop Australia does not show the 175/80 type you mentioned & I suggest that if you found it somewhere then it would be a grey import & to be distrusted on stock age grounds. Best to stick with a mainstream availability type.

However Dunlop Australia does, as you realise, list the 200E in 175/80 (not in 185/75). My qualm with the 200E is again wet grip deficiencies.

From the 185/75 list, there is only one type which I could recommend (a pity the Conti EC3 is no more in this size). It's an oldish type now (although no doubt upgraded in compound & wet grip seems to still be prioritised) but it's what I'd choose. Not a class leader but a good tyre & by far the best type available in 175/80 or 185/75 (which is near enough the same gearing as 175/80) if wet grip is prioritised. Hop onto Hankook's site & read their propaganda blurb on it & have a look at the following test - the only one I know of:

Hankook OPTIMO K715 - Tyre Reviews

I'd fit it with confidence but for some 404 owners' comments, look at the Peugeot forum.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

One post scriptum:

According to Jax's online published prices, the K715 will cost you $99 each.

1000+ Posts

Another thought:

185/70 undergears by a trifling 3.2% but gives you access to a range of tyres superior to the "best-so-far" 185/75 K715. If you would entertain the option, then I'll go further; if not, then not.

Thanks guys, and particularly 4cvg. I would entertain the option of going 185/70 so please go on.

The fact that mine is a Ti and has a slightly taller diff ratio - plus a 5 speed conversion - means there is scope to change the overall gearing without compromising cruising ability. So, good point on the 185/70.

Another option is to import via ebay (at considerable cost) something like the Conti EcoContact off "black circles" or ebay.

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

1000+ Posts

I recommend buying a readily available in Oz type from a mainstream retailer. Reasons? Stock age & after sales complaint avenues.

I suggest a short list of 2, 1 "wild card" & a medium list of 2 more.

Short listed are the Conti EcoContact 5 (replacing the EC3) & Bridgestone's Ecopia EP150. Each are good wet tyres without being wonderful. Best available in your sizes anyway. On handling crispness: each seems to have stable shoulder tread design & any structural sloppiness would be able to be ameliorated by tyre pressure tuning. For test results: try choosing the 'all tests' tab & browsing.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 - Tyre Reviews

Continental Eco Contact 5 - Tyre Reviews

Of particular interest is the 2014 ADAC test with each in it.

EC5 is listed by Jax at 139 & EP150 at 129.

Personally, I'd get the EC5.

The wild card is B.F. Goodrich's newish T/A Drive. As a tyre, my judgement from the only test I've seen (in Choice; it's a regional line & there are no European tests) is that it's a step down in wet performance from the above but it isn't total rubbish & seems crisp in handling. My reason for mentioning it is that, although at 109 the saving is probably not one warranting a purchase, at the moment, one of those lovely "4 for the price of 3" deals is operating (until 28 Feb). Worth a thought.

The medium list in populated by two tyres with interestingly mixed test results: Yokohama's BlueEarth AE01 & Kumho's EcoWing ES01. Patchy wet results & probably not worth buying unless you get some splendid deal or are preferred-retailer limited in what you can get. Browse tests at:

Yokohama BluEarth AE01 - Tyre Reviews

Kumho Ecowing ES01 KH27 - Tyre Reviews

cheers! Peter

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information