Call For Thread Suggestions
  • Help
    mlb

Default Call For Thread Suggestions

Now that I've got a bit more time to sit and type stuff that doesn't relate to work, I figured it's time to put up a few threads I've intended to do for a while. I'm also asking for suggestions on threads others might like included here. I'm not looking for brand/model specific ideas, but general ones that could be a benefit of all.

Advertisement

The ones I have in mind already:
    - What's required for cars to compete in CAMS events, as well as hints and tips
    - A list of suggested books for others wishing to study further on particular technical subjects
    - A thread containing links to other technical pages on a variety of subjects.

If anyone else has any suggestions on what they would like included in this forum let me know and I'll see what I can do. Technical subjects obviously - don't assume everyone shares your interest in the gestation period of Argentinean moles

Mat
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Looking forward to the words of wisdom.

Along with the car requirements, you could include clues on the PPE to be worn for the various classes of CAMS events. And for both, the minimum you can get away with for a one off, versus what would make sense for regular participants.

I expect once you start publishing, the feedback will lead to ideas for more threads.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Fellow Frogger!

Matt,

might I suggest that anyone contemplating CAMS events who has neither the wit nor the funds to shell out for a CAMS manual is taking the piss. It's all in there, as you know. As you also know, I don't believe in spoon feeding the grasshoppers. Hints & tips? Certainly.

Tim

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post
    Looking forward to the words of wisdom.

Along with the car requirements, you could include clues on the PPE to be worn for the various classes of CAMS events. And for both, the minimum you can get away with for a one off, versus what would make sense for regular participants.

I expect once you start publishing, the feedback will lead to ideas for more threads.
    Thanks Tim, there will certainly be words, but I can't guarantee their wisdom

But I'll include PPE and licences also.

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Matt,

might I suggest that anyone contemplating CAMS events who has neither the wit nor the funds to shell out for a CAMS manual is taking the piss. It's all in there, as you know. As you also know, I don't believe in spoon feeding the grasshoppers. Hints & tips? Certainly.

Tim
    I agree to a certain extent Tim, that people must be able to source and apply the information themselves. But I've seen guys like Graham Wallis get asked any time he puts up a thread about an event what's needed for the car, what licence do I need, etc. At least we can save the sanity of him and others by having it all in one spot. The CAMS webiste - although apparently 'improved' over the last couple of years - is still a bloody confusing mess. I spend a bit of time there looking for various things, and even I get lost. A lot of people aren't aware that it exists, nor that the CAMS manual is even published online.

The aim will be to make it not appear as onerous to compete as it may do to others not already involved. Some people don't bother as they think they need to do too much to their car, or rock up to scrutineering and have to sit it out as they didn't have a fire extinguisher, or plastic over their lights. Hopefully this will ease some of those pains and get more involved in the sport. I answer these queries quite frequently in the Club from new guys.

I'll only be covering requirements for Level 2 events. if you want to take it further such as rallying, circuit, etc, then they can work it out as they should have the nous to do so. Entry level is the focus to get them started and knowing where to look if they want to go further.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

I for one will appreciate all this information in one spot, just be careful not to help me too much or I might get involved and start beating everyone with my yoda knowledge.

grasshopper
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    If anyone else has any suggestions on what they would like included in this forum let me know and I'll see what I can do. Technical subjects obviously - don't assume everyone shares your interest in the gestation period of Argentinean moles

Mat
    Has the format of this section changed, or are talking about stickies??
    If you are talking stickies with no comment, good idea, and if you are talking about general threads, just post away, you'll soon know about interest with the veiw or post count.

IF stickies , I wouldn't mind adding a section on ADR's and state road vehicle regulations, to help those who are not so hip to finding this info, or for those that dont even know what an ADR is.
    I have cut and pasted this info dozens of times to people over the years pertaining to wheel fittment and owner certified mods (NSW)

For those who are driving their race car to the track it is worth noting these regs, as it wont matter how much placky coating the headlight have if the local cops defect the car short of the track for not complying with street regs.

Jo

I, for two would appreciate very much information about getting involved in motorsport.
    I certainly can't guarantee that I will take it up but it would be nice to know what I am required to do to participate.

Jo's offer to outline the ADR's applicable is also a fabulous idea so anyone asking can be directed swiftly to a guide to what may be expected of their mods.

Both threads/stickies should have a disclaimer also to further direct the reader to full a) Cams b)ADR website info, contacts etc. So no one printing the info here is liable.

Bill

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Has the format of this section changed, or are talking about stickies??
    If you are talking stickies with no comment, good idea, and if you are talking about general threads, just post away, you'll soon know about interest with the veiw or post count.

IF stickies , I wouldn't mind adding a section on ADR's and state road vehicle regulations, to help those who are not so hip to finding this info, or for those that dont even know what an ADR is.
    I have cut and pasted this info dozens of times to people over the years pertaining to wheel fittment and owner certified mods (NSW)

For those who are driving their race car to the track it is worth noting these regs, as it wont matter how much placky coating the headlight have if the local cops defect the car short of the track for not complying with street regs.

Jo
    I'm thinking more along the lines of stickies, without having a great list that extends halfway down the page of course, but just a few key ones that would be a hand to a lot of people. Everyone will be free to contribute to consolidate the knowledge out there, but I'll try to keep them from straying too far off track.

If you want to put something together regarding ADRs and all the relevant links, the go for it. I'm sure it will be a use to a lot of people.

Matt

Fellow Frogger!

... The CAMS webiste - although apparently 'improved' over the last couple of years - is still a bloody confusing mess. I spend a bit of time there looking for various things, and even I get lost. A lot of people aren't aware that it exists, nor that the CAMS manual is even published online.

The aim will be to make it not appear as onerous to compete as it may do to others not already involved. Some people don't bother as they think they need to do too much to their car, or rock up to scrutineering and have to sit it out as they didn't have a fire extinguisher, or plastic over their lights. Hopefully this will ease some of those pains and get more involved in the sport. I answer these queries quite frequently in the Club from new guys.

I'll only be covering requirements for Level 2 events. if you want to take it further such as rallying, circuit, etc, then they can work it out as they should have the nous to do so. Entry level is the focus to get them started and knowing where to look if they want to go further.

Matt
    Yep - CAMS translated into english should help a few more take the plunge. The site & manual do have all the info that you need, but some of it is close to needing a lawyer to help figure out.

It's a bit sad if someone turns up for an event and has to sit it out because of something they could have easily sorted out, if only they had known about it.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post

It's a bit sad if someone turns up for an event and has to sit it out because of something they could have easily sorted out, if only they had known about it.
    "Salutary" is the descriptor I would have used. "HTFU" springs to mind. You only make these mistakes once - it's not life changing, but it can be habit forming, in a good way.

Tim

Default More than happy to help...

I'm more than willing to toss in the as required. I, along with others on this forum, have done enough motorsport/modify chariot's (starting to feel that old!) and conversed with authorities that I could be of some use.
    Example: Went to a 'Come and try' day, as it was to be a semi-speed event ie khanacross they asked to have a fire extinguisher. All well and good until one entry turned up with the fire extinguisher sitting loose in the centre console!
    What most of us take for common sense doesn't seem to be that common, or sensible.
    Often I have been tempted to reply to threads, in a non-positive way, that I see as either a cop-out/too lazy to solve the problem themselves but I have knowledge and experience. SWMBO reminds me of this often when I have a go at Slug boy 1 or 2 for not knowing how to weld/design/fabricate etc.
    Matt you are onto a great idea/concept and it needs the support of all AF members, hope it has a long and productive life.
    Bluey

Great thread, "CAMS Requirements for Club Events".

At the risk of being a PITA, I wonder if it should live in the Motrsports forum?

Jo

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Great thread, "CAMS Requirements for Club Events".

At the risk of being a PITA, I wonder if it should live in the Motrsports forum?

Jo
    I've been thinking the same thing. It's original intent was purely on car preparation - hence its current home. But then it just evolved to cover everything.

At least where it is I can sticky and edit it. Once complete I might move it to Motorsports. It just depends where it will be noticed the most.

Matt

Icon3

I've been thinking the same thing. It's original intent was purely on car preparation - hence its current home. But then it just evolved to cover everything.

At least where it is I can sticky and edit it. Once complete I might move it to Motorsports. It just depends where it will be noticed the most.

Matt
    Matt, maybe a sticky in Motorsport directing members here. That way all useful info would be in one place, and as you say you can edit etc. as posts are added

I think we have spoken about the possibility of a sub forum within the main forum for stickies, I know vivid was keen on this a while back as the Renault forum had quite a list before you got to the current topics?

BTW, Nice work, should be a real asset

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Matt, maybe a sticky in Motorsport directing members here. That way all useful info would be in one place, and as you say you can edit etc. as posts are added

I think we have spoken about the possibility of a sub forum within the main forum for stickies, I know vivid was keen on this a while back as the Renault forum had quite a list before you got to the current topics?

BTW, Nice work, should be a real asset

Cheers
    Chris
    That's not a bad idea about the sticky in the motorsport forum. I'll put it on my ToDo list.

I'm a bit cautious about having lots of stickies, as I know what you mean about the Renault forum. We do have the archive for common fixes where most of the technical stuff goes so hopefully that will keep this one under control. I'll see how the other threads go and if they don't get much of a following I'll put them back in the general population.

Thread Information