205 GTI extractors
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 GTI extractors

Noticed on Ebay.co.uk there are heaps of extractors available. But i have yet to find one that is able to post to Australia.

Advertisement

Does anyone have a contact that is able to post extractors to Australia?

Don't think ill get much if any HP gain out of a set of extractors, sick of cracked exhaust manifolds!!

I'd say by the time you find someone and add the cost of the postage, you could get someone to make them to spec for the same price.

Try Magic in Brisbane.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Only under fairly extreme situations are extractors needed. Even with up'd compression ratios you can get away with the std manifold. For the cost you could get better more noticable results.

Try a 306 manifold. There was thread on this recently in the for sale section oddly enough.

Chris
    Last edited by DjB8V; 2nd May 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Only under fairly extreme situations are extractors needed. Even with up'd compression ratios you can get away with the std manifold.
    I've heard this a lot. Although I don't doubt that the stock items are well designed, does anyone know of any back-to-back tests done that actually show that the stock manifold is comparable (or as some claim, better) to a set of well designed extractors? Sometimes I wonder whether this is one of those forum 'chinese whispers' where someone's had a bad experience with a shonkey set of ebay extractors, because with nearly every other engine I can think of, extractors make some of the most notable gains.

Like the 1.9L Mi16 tubular manifold and the 2L Mi16 cast iron manifold, the 205 8V manifold is a 4-2-1 design. To the untrained eye they look like a lump of cast iron from a '55 Chev, but in fact they are a cleverly designed piece of work. Thus it is hard to improve upon them with any other 4-2-1 design, which are designed to give the most improvement in the midrange. If you were chasing top end hp only (ie racing) and thus went for a 4-1 design, you would see an improvement in the top end, but at the expense of the midrange. Most 205 drivers like the midrange punch and that is why the standard pipes work so well.

If you look carefully at the down pipe (Mi16 included), you'll notice it has a divider most of the way down, finishing just before the O2 sensor. This is where the 2-1 intersection happens. So yes, the 205 GTi already has extractors.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter that clarifies things - they sure do look like a lump of cast crap to me, but I've never had them off to get a closer look.
    Also I'm interested in getting a cam - you said you can do billet 244@.050". Can you please send me a pm on price and availability?
    Cheers
    Sam

Thread Information