Citroen DS drive-train knocks & rumbles
  • Help

Default Citroen DS drive-train knocks & rumbles

Hi,

My 1972 Citroen DSpecial 21 generates quite a lot of rhythmic knocking and rumbling, particularly on slowing down and braking, and slow turning/manoeuvring. The problem is presumably from the drivetrain - the knocking/rumbling is proportional to driving speed, i.e. slows as the car slows down.

I put the car up on axle stands and ran it in gear and had a look at things from underneath. I was looking to see if the discs appeared to have any distortion/run-out (which might have been where the problem was coming from as it is most apparent on braking) but they looked fine. However, there was quite a horrible kicking of the discs, diff, gearbox, etc, a few mm side to side, that seemed to be much worse from the LHS than the RHS (I held each drivewheel still to make the diff drive the other side, to see which side caused most kicking).

The LHS tri-ax housing turned out to be extremely worn, so I have replaced that with a very good condition (no wear in the ball runs) second hand replacement. However, there is still some knocking and rumbling, and I am presuming the tri-ax on the other side is similarly worn. So, I intend to check, and will probably need to replace, this one too.

However, I wonder if anyone can tell me if there might there be something else causing this kocking and rumbling, aside from the worn (probably on both sides) tri-ax housings? I did notice that the differential seemed to have quite a lot of "slack" in it (when turning each of the driveshafts by hand) but I'm not sure what is "normal" with this, and whether this would lead to knocking and rumbling through the drivetrain anyway, unless it is so worn it is about to fall to bits?! Wheel bearings feel smooth, and steering ball joints, etc, all feel fine (one steering arm ball joint was worn, which I have replaced).

Any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

Cheers,

Dan

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You'll get a lot more responses if you try the Citroen forum Is the noise only when you brake hard? More of a "thumping" noise than driveshaft/bearing? If so the engine mounts may be gone. My father DSpecial used to always thump away noisily if you braked hard due to the engine lifting slightly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

HI Shane,

It's not really a thumping sound, and not only under heavy braking - also when slowing down using engine braking. It's quite a rhythmic sound propotional to speed, rather than a more random thumping that I would imagine would occur with deteriorated engine mounts. But, I will have a look at the mounts anyway, just to see how they look.

Thanks for your comments, and yes - I will copy the post onto the Citroen forum, see if that gets a better response.

Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information