Softer pads?
  • Help

Thread: Softer pads?

Default Softer pads?

Brake pads that is, to fit a 505.

Is there such a thing as softer pads which would be kinder on the brake discs?

Advertisement

505 bits are becoming somewhat scarce over here (mind you I haven't checked brake disc availability, but I bet they ain't sheep) but changing pads more often than usual wouldn't bother me, but I don't relish the thought of changing discs. Ever.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

I can take it it's a "no" then?

Mike.

Mike,

I had a quick search on ebay for ya but none came up.

I get my R10 brake pads on ebay and have no way of knowing how hard they are until I put them in....they are usually hard.

I guess that is the price we pay for having an old car, we are at the mercy of what ever is available.

Graham
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Tadpole

Have used Australian made Bendix pads many times in various cars and have found them to be very disc friendly and they don't coat the wheels with black dust. The website is fairly comprehensive and includes a catelogue

See below

www.bendix.com.au/

Spud

My thoughts are that the more pad dust = the softer the pad.

I have used for many years now - TRW / Lucas pads. I have used in my family commodore wagon and my 205. Enormous amounts of brake dust but disc wear is fabulous. I'm pretty sure that all the highway patrol cars use these pads too if that is of any relevance.

100,000km in the wagon, slotted DBA discs, two sets of pads and discs are still great - maybe only just needing to be machined on the next change. Just put the new discs (307hdi) on the 205 with 15,000km and hardly any wear marks.

If you can put up with the brake dust, these pads are the go. Great pedal feel too.

Pads are way cheaper the new disks.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

505 disc's $40 each over here.

Hi Mike,
    505 discs are quite hard so you should not be too concerned. Pugs only went to soft discs after 505s. And soft discs do in fact make for much better stopping.
    Have yours had a hard life previously ? Even if they've been scored from someone wearing the pads down to the metal, they still stop ok. And if the worst comes to the worst, you could always get a set sent over to you from here by surface mail. Though I suspect that if you hunt around, you should be able to get a pair locally. I get the impression you just don't like the prospect of the job itself.....but it's quite straightfoward......you've done much harder stuff than that already.
    Last edited by Beano; 4th May 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I get the impression you just don't like the prospect of the job itself......
    Exactly. I don't mind changing big bits so long as they're all in one piece, it's delving into spinny, whirry, oily bits where I've no confidence.

But if I ever do, no doubt some kind chap will keep me right. Good to know the discs are nice and hard though, cheers.

Mike.

Changing discs is more of a tendon-straining, knuckle-skinning, sometimes greasy job

Thread Information