Spool dif. in 405 track car?
  • Help

Icon5 Spool dif. in 405 track car?

I have a Quaife fitted in my track car, and I must say I am less than thrilled by it. For certain it made a step change to lap times, but still allow a lot of spin on the inside unweighted wheel.

Has anyone spooled their diff? It would certainly be unpleasant to drive on the road as a daily driver, but is there anyone out ther who has done this on their track cars with BE3 transmissions? Big job? Commercial spool available?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Explain what you mean by spool diff?
    Adrian Wuillemin

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Explain what you mean by spool diff?
    New one to me as well. If it is a dedicated track car, and you are unsatisfied with the Quaife, why not just weld it up? The poor man's LSD. Makes a FWD a pig to drive, but undeniably fast, once you learn to turn into a corner.

Tim

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    New one to me as well. If it is a dedicated track car, and you are unsatisfied with the Quaife, why not just weld it up? The poor man's LSD. Makes a FWD a pig to drive, but undeniably fast, once you learn to turn into a corner.

Tim
    Spool just means weld. Cost you nothing if you want to try it.
    I would say you would be better off keeping the Quaife and working on the suspension set up.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Not always just weld. example here,

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index...g_a_Mini_Spool

From what I've seen the standard 205 diff has pretty accessable spider gears for weld'n
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

I had the same issue with the 205, the rear way too soft and lifting the inside front wheel. Stiffer rear anti-rollbar helped a lot

Ever driven a vehicle with a locked front end?

Good luck just turning the steering wheel, even when you can, your not going to turn very well, if at all.

If you've got a mate with a 4x4 quad with front locker or know a 4WDer that's got a front locker ask to have a drive.

Leave spools for off roding and drag racing, even for those, people only put them in the back.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_505 View Post
    Ever driven a vehicle with a locked front end?
    Yep. It was a Suzuki GTi that a friend ran in GTP and various other eligible categories. I hated it, but it's all about ability, and he could do times in that thing that I couldn't achieve in a fairly well modified 205. The technique seemed to be to throw the thing sideways under brakes, and then nail it when you saw the apex. He was very fast, and very talented. I decided to stick with the Quaife, for an easy life.

Tim

Consider a Tran-x which has adjustable ramp angles, or Drexler, or ZF.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yep, have been looking at the Trans-x, but upon reflection, there is heaps of room for me to improve power down and corner exit before I need to further improve diff performance. Maybe in a couple of years once I have optiimised the suspension and engine performance.

Fellow Frogger!

There is also a lot of improvement to be made by putting the power down early and getting the diff to pull you through the corners.
    Adrian Wuillemin

Adrian, the guys I run with all agree that I'm never early getting on the anchors and never late getting on the loud pedal. My problem is that I can still really easily force the car into masses of understeer with wheel spin, but it feels like most of the slip angle is being generated by the inside wheel. Turn 5 at Phillip Island is a classic. Enter in third gear, power down from the apex out, but car just spins itself sideways to the outside of the track. Getting off the throttle brings the understeer down, but also lets the rear wheel drive cars drive away from me. Over Lukey heights is full noise in 4th, understeer not too bad, them catch all the rear wheel drivers again at the entry of turn 9 under brakes. A great corner, full noise in 4th up to the 50m marker then grab all the brakes I've got and smash down to 2nd for the exit - then suffer massive understeer again.....

Fellow Frogger!

Stiffen the rear roll bar. The Quaife is not perfect, but I didn't think it provoked massive understeer - more just an inability to get the power down effectively.

Tim

Thread Information