206 GTi Cams. Opinions? Worth it?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 206 GTi Cams. Opinions? Worth it?

Hi, I have been speaking to Guido from Crespo Cams, and have got a quote for some cams for my 206 GTi. I'm not too sure on what gains can be had doing this, but I plan to combine this with ITBs in the near future (I have the cash and time to tack a set together from a new ($500) set of honda S2000 ITBs and a custom manifold.)

Here is the info on the cams.
    USD 650 + USD 120 shipping

Intake

Exhaust

For comparison, I saw this info on a Cat Cams which claims a 23bhp gain with a piggyback ECU (I have one which I will be installing when I get time).

I was just wondering if one of the NA tuning experts on here could help with an estimate of the power gain from the Crespo cam, the ITBs alone, and what I could likely acheive with the cam and ITBs. My goal is 200bhp, but I'll be happy with anything over 180. Is there anything else I'll need to do to get there?

Also I've heard that a lot of BTCC and similar teams use the stock exhaust manifold because there is no better option. This doesn't sound right, as it looks very compact and is not a 4-2-1 design. Is this a myth or is there a reason that a simple manifold like this works so well?

Advertisement

If you are going to all the time and cost of changeing cams why dont you put a 180 head on the top of your block , you not only get more agressive cams but bigger valves as well . ( you cant use the VVT without fly cuts in the pistons )

I have a 180 head and cams and alloy inlet manifold for sale
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Too big for a 16V street engine, 246 deg @ 0.050" is a big banger and you'll need 11:1. Find something with 10 deg. or so less @ 0.050".

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Also, aren't the Crespo cams solid? The Catcam grinds are too small. Find something in between. Crespo give 1mm (0.040") figures as well, so use that to compare with Catcam grinds. Also keep in mind lift at TDC restrictions. I'm actually surprised that Crespo give out so much information.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Rally
    I'm not game enough to change my pistons or valve springs/lifters, and also I am looking to get more solid power output with lots of torque. The Cat Cams offering I posted claims 223Nm (165ft lbs), whereas the GTi 180 only gives 202Nm (152ft lbs).

Peter T
    I guess Crespo doesn't have as big of a name to protect as Cat and Kent do. Also my engine is 10.8:1 stock, I told this to Guido Crespo along with info on the stock lift, and he suggested the two cams I posted info on. Incidently, those profiles are actually used as turbo profiles for the 4 cyl Ford Focus. I've heard nothing but good about the CatCams fast road profile I posted info on, and the Crespo cams seem (am I wrong?) similar. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "aren't the Crespo cams solid?". Do you mean using mechanical lifters, not the stock hydraulic lifters? I told Guido I wouldn't be changing springs or lifters, and asked for a cam based on that.

Thanks for the information and I'm interested to hear if you think 200bhp is a possibility with ITBs and these (rather wild?) cams.

P.S.
    I've driven the car with the stock cam advanced by one belt notch (accidently), and it wasn't completely undrivable.

Thread Information