205 + xu9j4 plumbing question
  • Help

Default 205 + xu9j4 plumbing question

Hi everyone, im in the middle of an mi16 conversion, and its patched together just to get it home from a workshop where i was working on it, and the landlord asked him to clear out excess cars/clutter (unfortunately one being my 205). and as such its in a state to get it short distances, but i cant drive it the way it was meant to be driven as yet.

my question is, the hose ive highlighted in the picture in yellow goes to the expansion tank, the right hand side if looking from the front. the hose in orange goes to the top of the radiator. correct me if im wrong, but have i just made a bypass for the radiator? if so, how can i go about plumbing it correctly? im using the mi16 housing at the moment. should i be using the gti housing and distribution block at the back of the motor? i also believe that the hose marked yellow was connected to the oil cooler, which is no longer installed.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement

UPDATE: in the cleanout they took the old gti motor, with old coolant housing, so thats no longer available to me if i do so require it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 + xu9j4 plumbing question-01032011329.jpg  
    Last edited by Capago; 2nd March 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: make it more understandable

Capago

We can see the area detailed, maybe now a photo of the whole engine bay (showing motor/radiator and expansion tank setup) may be of help to fully explain your question
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

thanks BIGRR, attach is said picture, with paint quality text and arrows.

also highlighted is some shoddy workmanship to prevent future questions/remarks as such, but please excuse this, as this was to get the car mobile and to get it home.

does the water flow from the bottom up i.e. from the distribution block, into the bottom of the radiator, then into the front of the thermostat, into the motor then back down again? because if its reverse, i think i could be potentially supplying air into the system as well...

as per diagrams supplied on the internet, i cannot see such mention of a coolant hose going from the bottom of the black front of the thermostat housing, to the expansion bottle, only the hose from the throttle body, which has got me confused. i will upload the diagrams with some modifications soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 + xu9j4 plumbing question-02032011331.jpg  

and as attached, my reference diagram and my setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 + xu9j4 plumbing question-16coolant205rad.gif   205 + xu9j4 plumbing question-16coolant205rad-copy.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    does the water flow from the bottom up i.e.
    One way of remembering it is...

Water pumps suck.

the suck side is the side that has all the hoses attatched and the push side is the internal of your donk.

Looking at the 2nd picture with what I assume to be out of scale hose thicknesses, the expansion bottle connector at 6 oclock is sucking water out of the bottle and towards the pump, the line at 10 0clock is de gassing the radiator and the line at 2 oclock is degassing the engine.

I am seemingly in the minority of people who dont mind compromising a bit of radiator coolant flow for engine coolant flow, so I dont mind the concept of leaving bypass lines connected, as long as they dont come out of the head at cyl 1 (furthest from the thermo housing) because this will actually slow the coolant through the head down instead of speeding it up like it would if it were coming out of the thermo housing

Confused??

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Looking at the 2nd picture with what I assume to be out of scale hose thicknesses, the expansion bottle connector at 6 oclock is sucking water out of the bottle and towards the pump, the line at 10 0clock is de gassing the radiator and the line at 2 oclock is degassing the engine.
    Yes, the hose at 6 goes down to the "water block union" as illustrated by mr microsoft paint. and by your statement of "pumps suck", im assuming that the water hoses from the side and rear of the thermostat assembly both flow down (hence why some people remove the metal pipe that sits at the back of the head, correct?

Another question, ive never heard of the term "de-gassing" before. mind you im still learning. is the small hose to 10 o clock on the expansion bottle and this hose thats giving me a headache thinking about, both vent the system of air to the bottle? now that i look at again i can see what you mean, i just wasnt sure since this hose was of much larger size. im guessing it could still vent gasses but not let it in (if kept topped up of course), from a buildup of pressure in the system?

I am seemingly in the minority of people who dont mind compromising a bit of radiator coolant flow for engine coolant flow, so I dont mind the concept of leaving bypass lines connected, as long as they dont come out of the head at cyl 1 (furthest from the thermo housing) because this will actually slow the coolant through the head down instead of speeding it up like it would if it were coming out of the thermo housing
    is this again referring to that extra pipe along the head?

Confused??
    I thought i was good at confusing people, its one of my special abilities, but im also susceptable to it too

bump!

Nevermind, got it sorted. thanks petert!

Thread Information