Batteries ... what to get ?
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Batteries ... what to get ?

Hi Guys,

so the battery in the XM is suddenly struggling to start the car (to the point where I woudln't be brave enough to drive it)..... sigh ....CX's never need batteries ... let alone after a couple of short years.... It was replaced with a brand new battery about 2weeks before I purchased the XM ... so it's not old at all. But will certainly be out of warranty.

Actually I'm serious. I've fitted calcium plate Delkors to my last two CX's.... I may have put on in the Xantia too. It appears once you fit one of these batteries you never need to replace the battery again.

Advertisement

The original battery from my old CX2400 must be 10years old now. I bought it cheaply as it was "old stock" that had been sitting on the shelf at the battery shop for an extended period. When I parked the CX up 6years ago I lent the battery to my father who used it on his spray unit... THen a few years ago my brother found it in the shed, charged it up ... chucked it in his boat and it's still going strong .... after 10years

The delkor in the CX turbo I fitted when I got the car about 6years ago (thinking the 4year old delkor from the old CX2400 was probably getting a little old to be worth the risk...... how wrong was I ).... anyway, the battery in the CX turbo is still going strong with no signs of slowing down at 6years of age .....

I wonder if a calcium plate delkor for the diesel is a good move ?? It's a diesel so the CCA's required to start it is far more than the CX's. Does anyone know if these batteries are as good as they were 6+years ago ?? No doubt they have decreased the quality of the batteries greatly .... after all you won't sell many of the bloody things if they never die

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I use Delkor batteries in all of my vehicles. Cars, utes, tractors, truck, even the ride-on mower. They seem to hold their charge for ever. I use the largest battery that will fit in the cradle.

I have just replaced the Delkor in my XM. I bought it when I first first bought the car, over 5 years ago. The other day it refused to start the car for the first time ever. I charged it up and it has been fine ever since, but I replaced it as a precaution, as modern electronic fuel injection cars seem to need plenty of electrical power to run them. The old battery was a DIN 50, about 500 CCA and I replaced it with a DIN 66, about 650 CCA. The old battery still has plenty of grunt left in it, and I have been using it as a spare battery.

Roger

Arrhhh..... put the new battery ......................rrrrrrraaaahhhh......rrrrrrr rrraahhhhhh..... just the bloody same. I should have tested the old battery first. It appears I should check the starter motor and it's wiring .... sigh... $180 later

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Oh well,

Would you believe cleaning the earth battery terminal has appeared to fix it..... I would have sworn blind the battery was simply stuffed the way the car was behaving (no doubt I'll get a phonecall now from SWMBO saying "The car won't start" ).

Oh yeah, SWMBO tells me I got that car 8years ago, not 6years. So the battery in the tired old CX is 8years old and still going strong. That also means the calcium plate delkor out of my old CX2400 is a staggering 12years old ... and still working .... It also means the spheres haven't been gassed or checked in 8years. No wonder the old CX is starting to feel a little firm How could it already be 8years that I've owned that car ?? Man I must be getting old !

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information