505 stuck at shops
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 stuck at shops

all

505 STI started coughing and spluttering this morning in the car park of the shops

engine ended up stopping and not starting

thought it was out of fuel - put 5L in - still won't start

engine will turn over, plenty of juice in battery - just no ignition

any thoughts appreciated

fuel pump?

Advertisement

JR
    Last edited by robjer; 16th February 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Could be - they do tend to just stop. Get someone to turn it over while you bash the outside of the fuel pump with something heavy like a wheel brace- it often triggers them into action but it will happen again. Neil

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

tachymetric relay? just had my 505 wagon doing similar things like randomly refusing to
    start and then starting again without any problems. found a relay in an older beemer
    at upullit for seven bucks. car has started perfectly for over 2 months now instead of being a complete pain every few days so i figure that prob is fixed. the relay controls the fuel pump
    and has about the same base size as a normal relay but is about 75 mm tall and has 7 pins.
    it is located next to the steering column about knee level.

cheers

chris
    Last edited by cdt; 16th February 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Fellow Frogger!

ta guys

RAA bloke reckons it is the pump .... so stay tuned for WTB ad for two pumps (inner and outer) and a fuel filter

JR

Have you tried wiring the pump(s) direct to the battery to check?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by cdt View Post
    tachymetric relay? just had my 505 wagon doing similar things like randomly refusing to
    start and then starting again without any problems. found a relay in an older beemer
    at upullit for seven bucks. car has started perfectly for over 2 months now instead of being a complete pain every few days so i figure that prob is fixed. the relay controls the fuel pump
    and has about the same base size as a normal relay but is about 75 mm tall and has 7 pins.
    it is located next to the steering column about knee level.

cheers

chris
    You might like to try and repair your old tachymetric relay to use as a spare.
    I took mine out and after looking closely with a magnifying glass, I noticed "dry" solder connections. I think the weight of the components caused the solder to fracture as it was jiggled over bumps.
    They had tiny fractures around the base. A quick hit with my soldering iron fixed them and away I went !

Incidentally, if anyone can not spot it, it is a relay ( in the position described ) with many wires coming from it.....more than the other relays.

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

allright, just checked out my old relay and if you link pins 30, 87 and 87b with a jumper
    wire the fuel pump will run if it is ok, does not mean the car will start. this relay is hard wired to the battery and therefore has a constant source of power regardless of the position of the ignition key. the relay also serves a function of priming the fuel system with a short burst of fuel,about 1 second give or take some nano's, as the key is turned to the ignition position,this is handy because you are able to hear it and will reassure you that pump is functioning given that the fuel pump will not start to function normally until the motor is being cranked or running, it gets its signal to start via the negative pulse of the coil.
    strange little object.

cheers

chris

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505

Check the pump fuse behind the ashtray in your dash first

Fellow Frogger!

and the prize for the best guess goes to alpine!

the issue was a broken relay ... which is under the steering wheel

sparky put it back together and the car is back on-line

Thread Information