505 GTDT improvements
  • Help

Default 505 GTDT improvements

In the case of normal maintenance I've made a few mods to my 505 lately.

The viscous fan (finally) packed it in so I got some EF Falcon fans and shroud off of ebay for $50 and have fitted them. The process involved removing the radiator, modifying the falcon shroud a bit with the hacksaw, chopping the viscous fan pulley off and then fitting radiator and shrouding back in. It's pretty tight clearance-wise but the radiator shroud actually fitted really well in the end. One of the falcon fans is a two-speed job which I wired to the existing thermofan relays and the other fan I've wired to switch manually in the cock-pit. I'm in the process of installing a Tridon TCS030 coolant sensor and jaycar variable voltage relay to control the second fan though. The airflow when both fans are running has to be seen to be believed and is a massive improvement over stock. Slow running and traffic light grand-prixing with air-con on on a 40 degree day will simply not budge the coolant needle now.

The second mod was to get rid of the POS non-oem exhaust that rubs on the chassis in numerous spots and leaks like a sieve. I went for a 2.5" from the turbo back with a single straight through centre box. The new exhaust is actually quieter than the old system and requires significantly less throttle at 60km/h which is all the testing I've been able to do for now. Before the forum crash there was a thread where someone had fitted 3" to their 505 turbo diesel but 2.5" was the biggest the shop were able to do whilst still going over the rear subframe.

Advertisement

More info and pics to follow.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Looking forward to the pics Uffee.

Why two fans, wouldn't one big fan be better? Interested to have more detail on how you trigger the fan.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    Looking forward to the pics Uffee.

Why two fans, wouldn't one big fan be better? Interested to have more detail on how you trigger the fan.

Tom
    The 2 speed thermofan is triggered by the original 2-speed thermofan circuit. I thought the relays might need to be up-specced but they seem to be coping well.

2 fans because that's how they come in the shroud, they're also pretty big, almost as big as the existing viscous fan. The EF falcon fans and shroud have some nice features:

-There is a divider between the fans so that if only one is working, it won't pull hot air from the engine bay through large opening created by the stationary second fan rather than the radiator.
    - The fan blades are variable pitch and have a flange around the circumference which has the same effect as winglets on jets or end plates on formula 1 wings to increase the efficiency.
    - The shroud completely surrounds the radiator so the fans pull air through all of the core unlike the oem viscous fan which only pulls air through it's rather basic shroud.
    - They're quite cheap to procure and if they can keep a V8 falcon cool then they're a nice upgrade

Here's a pic off teh interwebs:

With some modification, the shroud fits almost exactly over the radiator, it's slightly wider but this doesn't create gaps.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thread Information