307 off the wall ideas
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 off the wall ideas

Hi all, new member and new pug owner, have a 2006 307 Hdi, very pleased with "new" car, but, have wiped out the FAP tank and want to suggest an outrageous idea followed by a plea for help. Since a new FAP tank etc will cost $1000 plus and since it seems to be the reason why bio-diesel is not possible, has anyone out there advice on how I might "disable" the computers warning/ shut down function when it senses that the clean out of the catalytic convertor has not occurred.?? Excuse me if I'm not making sense, but I've only been able to piece this chain of logic together by inference, having visited UK dominated websites where no one seems to talk directly about the subject of "waste veggie oil", or mostly about how it hasn't worked for them(and these are 3 years plus posts). My neighbour is using WVO in a Landcruiser so I have a source of fuel, and since I don't have a FAP tank ???? Am I ??

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

FAP removal
    "Catalytic converter" is a term that only applies to petrol engines, the FAP is the equivalent on a diesel but the terms aren't interchangeable. (just thought I'd point that out to avoid confusion). I know for a fact that a 405 SRDT (I almost bought one) has a FAP but doesn't legally require it in Queensland (it was needed in Europe.) Whether this was changed by NSW by 2006 I don't know, but is worth looking up. There ARE roadside emissions monitoring stations in my small city of 200,000 people, so the chance that there's one in Coffs is likely. The Police can and will fine you for your car emitting soot. I know people who have been caught by roadside stations because they removed their catalytic converters. Depending on the type of sensor used in the FAP, it may be possible to just replace it with a resistor to fool the ECU.

Veg oil
    The viscosity (thickness) of vegetable oil is much higher than diesel. This is why many biodiesel systems use a fuel heater to thin the oil before it reaches any components of the stock engine. The fuel pump on a direct injected diesel like an HDI engine needs to pump very high pressures, and as such it is a sensitive part. Putting fuel through which is thicker can destroy these pumps. I've heard somewhere (can't recall now) that Bosch fuel pumps used on some engines (pot luck) can handle it but Lucas ones can't. The fuel injectors can be a problem sometimes too with the extra thickness of vegetable oil. At the very least, you would need to add a fine particle filter to the fuel line. Also to convert waste vegetable oil into biodiesel that WON'T ruin the engine, you have to use a filter or chemical process to remove the animal fats which are dissolved into it at Greasy Johns Chippy Shop.

Thread Information