205 Exhaust
  • Help

Thread: 205 Exhaust

Default 205 Exhaust

I have created a thread before about my issues with my loud exhaust but it was lost in the great 2010 crash. I am after some more advice regarding it.
    As was suggested I sent my car to an exhaust shop to replace a ridicuously loud exhaust installed by a previous owner. I requested the quietest muffler possible. What I got was a slightly quieter note and a much less 'flamboyant' exhaust tip.

Unfortunately this exhaust is still far too loud for my tastes and peugeot no longer offer the standard 205 muffler. My questions are how quiet can an aftermarket exhaust be?
    What should I request when getting it to be quieter?
    Are there any suggestions on good pug friendly exhaust shops in SE melbourne?

Advertisement

Any decent exhaust shop should be able to set up a orginal exhaust for you. Being mild steel it shouldn't cost heaps. All you would need is the measurements of an orginal exhaust and a reputable exhaust should have all that.

Correct me if I'm worng.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Ask for a triple flow muffler. Really you need a resonator to pull the harmonic drone out when crusing at speed. Ask PeterT about his recommendation, that what I did and its great. Not loud but still allows good power. If you want whisper quiet then good luck with it.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

I'm just after quiet enough to avoid attention.

Petert wrote down his recommendation in the last thread I had about this but, very cleverly, I didn't write it down... I can't find anything on the 205gtidrivers website either.
    I don't think I need to replace the whole system though. Car is standard and the exhaust is factory to the muffler.
    My uneducated opinion is that I just need a better suited muffler for the car? Triple flow or just measure up a standard one and find an equivalent?
    What sort of resonator should I ask for?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by slobberingant View Post
    I have created a thread before about my issues with my loud exhaust but it was lost in the great 2010 crash. I am after some more advice regarding it.
    As was suggested I sent my car to an exhaust shop to replace a ridicuously loud exhaust installed by a previous owner. I requested the quietest muffler possible. What I got was a slightly quieter note and a much less 'flamboyant' exhaust tip.

Unfortunately this exhaust is still far too loud for my tastes and peugeot no longer offer the standard 205 muffler. My questions are how quiet can an aftermarket exhaust be?
    What should I request when getting it to be quieter?
    Are there any suggestions on good pug friendly exhaust shops in SE melbourne?
    See if you can get a Walker OE style system from EAI.
    They had these a few years back.
    Graham

18" spiral, torpedo shaped resonator behind the cat., triple flow muffler on the back, all in 2.25". If it's still too noisey, drop to a 2" tailpipe.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Graham, I have sent an email to EAI enquiring about these systems.
    Peter, thank you for reposting the exhaust spec. Do you have any videos of cars that have your specified exhaust so that I can hear what is sounds like?
    Also, how large should the triple flow muffler be?

I have a muffler off a S1 205 GTI that I`m happy to part with for free. I am in South East Melbourne
    so let me know if your interested.

Regards,

Damien

Thanks Damien,
    I believe that the S1 pipe diameter is slightly smaller than the S3. I can't see the harm in trying to get it fitting. If I can't find any alternatives I may take you up on your offer. Thank you.

Last year I replaced my S3 exhaust from cat back. Exhaust is completely standard Factory specs and has a nice note but not droney or loud. I get lots of comments telling me " its sounds alright ". Cost just over $700 from Performance Exhausts in Ringwood.

2.25" sounds l o v e l y at throttle.

Can be a bit loud at highway cruising speeds though, especially in a rattley old 205.

2.5" just sounds awesome. But not quiet.

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

EAI no longer have an S3 205 gti exhaust.
    Looks like an aftermarket item is the only option.
    Thanks for the input.

Default exhaust

i thought you could still buy the geniune item from peugeot? im pretty sure darren who just sold his gtsi did last year
    try different dealers you would be amazed of the difference you get. whats not available at one can be available at others, also just talking to a different person, can make a difference at the same dealer!

Thread Information