405 oil pressure
  • Help

Default 405 oil pressure

Anyone had much experience with the oil pressure spring regulator on 405s - XU9J4 engine?

In the final stages of a dry sump set up on my car, and can't see where the original system used to bypass to limit oil pressure. I intend to run oil pressure as high as reasonably safe - need to be sure I don't blow the cam sprays out of their housings etc.

The new pump has it's own adjustable regulator. The delivery side of the pump runs to a remote oil filter and then back to the original filter housing centre port. The pump (inlet) side of the original filter housing is now blocked off as the new pump suction comes from a new port in the dry sump pan.

System now runs a bog common Z9 filter and around 10l of oil. When the new engine goes in, it will be fully synthetic racing oil - recommendations / experience?

So, if anyone has some figures on safe max oil pressure in this engine, and where / how the original pressure regulator and spring worked, would appreciate the info.

Advertisement

70 psi is what i was always told.

My 205 (mi16 powered) runs about 80 - 85 psi cold and between 65 - 70 warm when above 3k.

I'm using the standard pump and a 6bar PTS oil pump spring.

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    need to be sure I don't blow the cam sprays out of their housings etc.
    This could only happen if you run it without a cam cover. Bosses in the cam cover hold the spray bars down.

10psi per 1000rpm is the norm. So 70-80psi. The original piston/relief spring is in the oil pump body. It just blows off around the pump before it enters the block.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Oil pressure - Thanks Peter

Never even thought about looking in the pump body, but makes perfect sense as there is just nowhere in the block that would allow a bypass. So without even pulling the plug out of the oil journal below the filter housing, I can be confident thats all it is, just a plug not a bypass arrangement.

Thanks again.

Thread Information