oil temp guage died
  • Help

Default oil temp guage died

The oil temp guage on the 505 SRDt ('85) has stopped working, I assume it is the oil temp sensor on the base of the oil filter. There are three sensors on the base, one on the RHS and two at the back . (The haynes manual is no help, it shows an oil filter housing with not one sensor on it.)

I think the one at the front is something to do with oil level and is linked with the coolant warning. At a guess the smallest of the two on the back is my pick, 13mm approx., looks similar to a coolant temp sensor on a GTI. The wiring is held on with a small nut. No idea what the other sensor does.

Anyone confirm which is the oil temp guage sensor?

Is there a simple way to test it?

Tom

Advertisement

Default Checking oil temperature sender.

The oil temperature sender will have only one connection point, so the single nut is about right. You can test it by suspending it in a pot of water and bringing the water to the boil. Keep the top cap and the wire dry. As the temperature goes up, the resistance between the nut (stud) and the body of the sensor will change. Measure it with a multimeter, doesn't need to be that accurate. There are typically only a handfull of temperature vs resistance curves for these senders. Should be able to find which yours should have on the internet. You would be able to find an aftermarket unit of the same resistance pretty easily - evan at Supercheap. If there is no circuit between the stud and the body then the sender is kaput.

Yours is probably exactly the same as the units that are located in the sump of my 405 and 306. The oil pressure sender unit is typically the largest sender on the block and also has only 1 connection. You will have an oil level indicator with 2 connections (it requires an internal circuit). You may also have an oil pressure switch with is again a single connection and a small cap (not much different in appearance to the pressure temperature sender. The easy way to tell the difference between the two is that the temperature sender has a fully enclosed plug that inserts into the oil (wherever it is mounted) while the pressure switch has a small hole in the internal end of the plug to allow oil to reach the switching diphragm.

I don't know your 505 at all well, but if there is any wire connected to a plug in your sump - that's the oil temperature sender. A sensor in the oil filter housing is more likely to be a pressure sender or pressure switch.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comphrensive reply racing405.

My peugeot handbook is somewhat confusing as it refers to the guage the has stopped working as engine oil level and oil pressure gauge, which is incorrect as the guage is a temp guage when running and an oil level checking system used prior to start up.
    This particular feature i think was only on last year of the SRDT's

If there are three sensors on the base of the oil filter can there be more in the sump?

Just so I know what's what,

the small one with the nut - oil temp (temp gauge on dash) take out and test.

The big one, RHS, single wire, when disconnected with ignition on all the warnig lights on dash are off - so, oil warning system either low oil or low pressure (illumites oil can, stop sign on dash)

The last sensor, single wire, wire connecting terminal rotates 180, nothing changes when disconnected with ignition on, not too sure what this does so this must be engine oil evel at start up? (gees surely that's in the sump as you say it is on 405's and 306's). I don't think this sensor is working as the oil level on start up feature doesn't work.

Will test temp unit and let you know, thanks again,

Tom

Tested oil temp sensor, it is working fine, which means the problem is in the dash, assuming the wiring is still sound. I can get the instrument panel out and replace globes but testing and fixing gauge is another thing. I am sure it is a simple task for those electonically gifted. Any suggestions?

Tom

Thread Information