205 rear beams?
  • Help

Thread: 205 rear beams?

VIP Sponsor

Default 205 rear beams?

I am getting clicking and banging in my Si rear ends at present.
    The one in the white one suddenly started this and was still there after replacing the beam.
    Don't think its body flex as it didn't change when the weld in cage was installed.
    My red car has now suddenly started doing this after carrying a battery in the boot!

It comes and goes, can be triggered by the slightest movement, torsional or both wheels at once, or may not appear at all for a while.
    Has anyone had this problem, my GTis never gave a hint of this.
    Graham

Advertisement

Mine has been doing that for the last three months but only when it has weight in the back. Actually it started on the drive down to Speed on Tweed! When I am driving alone its fine, when the kids get in the back, its a harsh "clack" from the RHS rear from any normal undulation in the road. I'm taking it that i'm up for new bearings in the beam. I was looking at new shafts and bearing kits from the UK, but now I see I can get a sleeve and bearing kit. Don't know much about these though.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

The Si and GTI beams are the same dimensions?

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    The Si and GTI beams are the same dimensions?

Chris
    I believe the tube diameter is a little smaller in the Si.
    Graham

Graham,

Have you had any experiance with the shafts having a sleeve kit? Apparently the repair kits have 2 bearings, 1 seal and two sleeves. The sleeves are use to go over the worn shaft.

Moo

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I am getting clicking and banging in my Si rear ends at present.
    Incorrect free play on the torsion bars?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Incorrect free play on the torsion bars?
    Do you think they need a spacer washer?
    I'll give them a tap on the ends with a hammer.

No haven't had experience with beams except helping to rebuild one of Casnells.
    Sleeve sounds like a good idea though.
    I may have to rebuild the red cars beam so will consider this.
    I am using bronze sleeves, no bearings, on the rally car, just as soon as I work out whether to use the Si or GTi beam.

Graham

Email reply to me from EAI -

WE HAVE THE REAR BEAM REPAIR KITS P513100 AT A COST OF $47.50 + GST PER SIDE.
    WE DONí STOCK THE SHAFTS.
    THE REPAIR KITS HAVE: 2 BEARINGS ONE SEAL AND TWO SLEEVES . THE SLEEVES ARE USED TO GO OVER THE WORN SHAFT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Email reply to me from EAI -

WE HAVE THE REAR BEAM REPAIR KITS P513100 AT A COST OF $47.50 + GST PER SIDE.
    WE DON’ STOCK THE SHAFTS.
    THE REPAIR KITS HAVE: 2 BEARINGS ONE SEAL AND TWO SLEEVES . THE SLEEVES ARE USED TO GO OVER THE WORN SHAFT. HOPE THIS HELPS.
    Sounds good, wonder if the bearings are over size to make up the thickness of the sleeves?
    Worth buying a couple before they become NLA.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Default Any luck?

Did you try the kit in the end? My rear end on the 306 S16 has just starting squeaking and clicking due to a few too many speed humps and hasty driveway entries, and perhaps lots of wet weather driving recently. The noise is coming from the rear driver side, and the camber is out, with the wheel about 3mms from rubbing the arch. It's also lower on that side. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking someones fiddled with it prior to me, since that side was always lower and the shock doesn't look oem. Just wanted to see if you ended up doing it...

Had something similar happen to my si, as the rear beam bushes wear out i think that the wheels can get closer to the rear lower bumper spoiler. The corner of the arch would rub on the thread of the tyre if i had any weight on the back, sometimes sounded like a clonk, sometimes like a scrape. Load the car and check for clearence maybe??
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Now I have had my beam apart, I can tell what the clack noise is. I'm sure it's the needle rollers in the bearing jaring between the worn out indentations in the shaft.

Fellow Frogger!

I have the same problem - the bearings in the trailing arm shaft have packed it in. Luckily I have a spare beam to swap out and it shouldn't be too much trouble. I might even rebuild the stuffed one if I get the chance - but wondered if you or anyone have tried the sleeves? What are the shaft and bearing kits worth from the UK?

Fellow Frogger!

I had this issue on my 206 GTi but I ignored the clunking for a few months. What I have learned is FIX IT QUICKLY. The needles in mine had worn right into the rear beam, and no repair kits could be found (I never saw any at least), and thus I had to have a replacement beam shipped from sydney. This meant weeks off the road and $100 shipping plus the cost of a new beam ($650 for a GTi one, or $300 with drum brakes if doing a complete rebuild).

If rebuilding the beam or replacing bearings, make sure to SURROUND the thing with thick high pressure grease. Both my old beam and the replacement from a wrecker had water pour out when taken appart.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 405 SRDT
    - Sports tractor, running Berlingo rear and GTi180 front suspension.
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on

Fellow Frogger!

Default Rear Beam Jobs

Just replaced the rear beam in mine. Twas a bit of work, considering I I had to remove my replacement from the parts car, then remove the stuffed one from my car, and replace it back onto the parts car - so basically two rear beam jobs in a day. Everything went pretty well, bar the battery running flat on the parts car requiring the front grille be ripped off to pop the bonet to repalce the battery (for the remote central locking - for some reason the key only worked the ignition, not the doors.)

For those interested, you can get bearing kits from EAI and Dapco that around $50 per trailing arm - which includes the two inner bearings (small and large), some shims/sleeves to go over the rooted trailing arm, and the seals. That's the next job for me I guess...

Thread Information