race tracks around Victoria/Melbourne
  • Help

Default race tracks around Victoria/Melbourne

Any pointers on the cheapest way to get on to a circuit track around Melbourne? I just want to give the 205 a bit of proper exercise 3-4 times a year.
    I have trouble justifying a $300 track day at Sandown or even $220 to use Calder (plus all the other smaller $$ of course), since I just want to do a few laps and go home.
    I am guessing that joining a club will be the best answer - any suggestions?

cheers
    I

Advertisement
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

1000+ Posts

From what I'm told, the club days are literally a couple of laps. Like 5. That's 10 mins of driving in a day of sitting around. Cost per lap is pretty high.

The "Driver Training" days generally have either free lapping, or 20 min sessions. The cost per lap is much much better.

I've been doing Driver Dynamics days at Sandown, and John Bowe at Sandown and Winton.

The Driver Dynamics are cheaper, and grouped by experience, and I've found more populated by "noobs".
    The John Bowe days are pretty expensive, but the training provided is great.

Both of them are pretty good, but the John Bowe are my pick - much harder on the car though as you are encouraged to improve your lap times much more.

Car racing - like throwing money off a (very good fun) bridge.

Speaksgeek I think you've been misinformed! The current format that Ford Four CC and Holden Sporting CC plus Marque Sports run is 12 minutes as a multi group and you get 3 or 4 and sometimes 5 runs. Hmmm doesn't sound like a lot but is very cost effective for the sub $200 entry fee with all the support system. You know stuff like recovery crews, fire marshal's, flaggies and first aid.
    Twelve minutes gives you seven laps if you can do sub 1'45'' laps of Sandown, Calder will yield around eleven laps if you do 1'05". Most state race events are six to ten laps so you are waaay in front with mileage and a much reduced cost.
    Thirty five laps of Sandown works out at 108.5 km of awesome fun, Calder with a possible 55 laps is around 115 km. OK if your that serious the wear and tear can be pretty high; fuel, tyres, brakes but 'bang for bucks' it's the best option!

Its good to see some very scientific bang for buck thinking going on here!
    No cheap way out - the track costs are probably reasonable too.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Fellow Frogger!

Then there's the unplanned cost of renting a trailer to get the car home, the engine rebuild, the panelbeating, replacing all the bits that couldn't take the additional stress.

Gee, motorsport is fun!

Tim

Ha, so true Tim! Road cars are for the road, track cars are for the track, and never the two shall meet.

Get a comfortable reliable road car that can tow a stripped out, snarling, temperamental beast to the track. If you can't afford the latter, go karting at a level your budget can handle.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

You are both very right. I dont see much good in wringing the neck of my car, even with all its extra bits. The desire is just to have a bit of fun and learn how it behaves on the edge.
    About to buy a go kart - proper track fun!
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go View Post
    Ha, so true Tim! Road cars are for the road, track cars are for the track, and never the two shall meet.

Get a comfortable reliable road car that can tow a stripped out, snarling, temperamental beast to the track. If you can't afford the latter, go karting at a level your budget can handle.
    Certainly doesn't apply to Motorkhanas and other lower level motorsport, a stripped out temperamentel car is a liability in these events.
    You simply don't need a fast car for a wide range of club motorsport.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Certainly doesn't apply to Motorkhanas and other lower level motorsport, a stripped out temperamentel car is a liability in these events.
    You simply don't need a fast car for a wide range of club motorsport.
    Graham
    I hadn't thought of that Graham, though I'm sure you're 100% spot on - never done a motorkhana myself. I was more referring to throttling something around a track in the conventional sense.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

i have done 2 track weekends at Philip Island, by the end of the day there are broken cars and many go home after 2-3 runs, i have managed five or 6 runs each day (they were 2 day events with untimed laps saturday and timed sunday)

did around 120kms each day (by by tyres)

great fun and ok value (cant remember exact cost)
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Thread Information