space saver wheel for a 205
  • Help

Default space saver wheel for a 205

This is a long shot, but can anyone advise whether an emergency space saver might fit a 205? from which car? There must be a heap of them at the wreckers.
    I am guessing that most modern space savers are to fit a 5 stud pattern to begin with, but there are things I know I dont know .....

I dont have the normal spare and dont want its weight + the mounting cage has been removed.

ta

Advertisement
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Do you need a spare at all??

Jo

Your pattern is 4x 108mm. Look at later small Audis and VWs. I don't know what the centre hole size needs to be to fit your 205.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

1000+ Posts

65mm from memory .....
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Do you need a spare at all??

Jo

well, what do you do if you slash a tyre wall that cant be fixed by a can of pressurised gunk?
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post

well, what do you do if you slash a tyre wall that cant be fixed by a can of pressurised gunk?
    Good question.
    In a decade of fuego driving , maybe 250,000 km I've had two flat tyres, both on the back and both within my local area.
    Neither were noticed until I got home and it was obvious by the sidewall damage that I'd driven a long way on them. (michi PS soft as hell but great grip and comfort and...deflated performance. )

So if I get a flat, on the back, I'd probably not notice, and if I got a flat on the front, I'd slowly limp to a tyre shop or just bin the car until later, as you cant realy do a tyre change in a tuxedo on the way to a wedding. In that situation, I get out immediately and start hitch hiking or cab it. It has happened once only, when the timing belt snapped some teeth. You dont wait long even on a deserted forest road when dressed in a your tuxedo.

I run replaceable rims, not anything fancy. $120 of the shelf at tempe tyres.
    If I needed to get off a freeway or drive 15 km to a safe spot, I could do it as long as I stayed in second gear and didn't heat up the deflated tyre too much.
    If to drive to safety and out of a dangerous spot near traffic means sacrificing a rim, that is a small price to pay for safety.

I suppose in a pinch I could shove the busted tyre on the rear too, but that sounds like too much effort.

I take my chances with tyres, and so far, no drama's at all. Tyres are that good these days and if you dont run silly sizes like 17 inch 45 profile, your chances of a flat are next to zero if you can avoid hitting gutters and running over scrap metal. I have learned to not do those things.

In the country where no spare would be a very risky strategy to follow because of the isolation or the road conditions where you dont want to be limping along at 10km/h on a single lane highway , I cary a full sized spare in the rear seat, buckled firmly into the seatbelt. I also carry a proper socket handle and bits rather than the factory wheel brace which is a POS and bends with only a little load.
    In rural australia where you can be soooooo far away from anywhere useful, I dont realy rate the space saver tyre anyway which is another very good reason to carry a full sized spare for these trips.

In case you wondered why ...... Like yourself keeping a spare in its usual spot is not an option for me because it causes stress fractures in the petrol tank it rest against.

Jo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've copped a flat on the front in my local area before .... So I whipped the rear wheel off and stuck it on the front, and chucked the flat tyre in the boot ... and crawled home on 3wheels

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information