tyre flat spot
  • Help

Thread: tyre flat spot

Default tyre flat spot

I have created a significant flat spot in my front tyres following an emergency braking (lock up for about 3 full seconds). Now I have the expected bumpy ride and the tyres are (were!) new . Any possible solutions or just wear them out ASAP?

Clearly the tyres are not as they are supposed to be and now annoying, but are they possibly unsafe?

thanks
    Icey

Advertisement
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Find a private runway and 'Smoke 'em up!' maybe?

I traveled backwards on full brake lock for a considerable distance, slowing from a considerable speed in a crx after experiencing snap loos resulting in craters in the surface of the tyre where blisters had formed and ripped off.

Once I had cleaned my pants and the seat the tyres went straight in the bin. Yours might be salvageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I have created a significant flat spot in my front tyres following an emergency braking (lock up for about 3 full seconds). Now I have the expected bumpy ride and the tyres are (were!) new . Any possible solutions or just wear them out ASAP?

Clearly the tyres are not as they are supposed to be and now annoying, but are they possibly unsafe?

thanks
    Icey
    As they are newish tyres it may be worth getting them machined down. I know Bridgestone used to have a facility to do this, and maybe its quite common, but I havent seen it done for many years. My opinion is the flat spots will not even out, they will only remain or get worse. Try some of the bigger tyre people, especially those that supply racing tyres, for the machining job, maybe where you bought them new. Should only remove about 1 mm is my guess, and you will have perfectly good tyres for their remaining life.

Edit: I found some info under google "tyre buffing" - here is one interesting link, this appears to be locally available:

http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info15.htm

Cheers
    Last edited by Fordman; 17th January 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Extra info.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

They are never the same again... Sorry. Have flatspotted new tyres in exactly the same way - and they never stopped vibrating.

They can be helped a little with inventive balancing (ie "over balancing" to compensate) but its a patch thats never entirely successful.

New tyres are the only cure....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thanks for the comments. From what I can tell, little can be done. I will be rotating the fronts to the rear, hope for improved wear, then do a few track days...
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thread Information