tunning for 306
  • Help

Thread: tunning for 306

Default tunning for 306

does anyone know if any microchips can be installed on a 306 to improve fuel injection and thus performance and if so where.

Advertisement
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email]matt_molon92@hotmail.com[email]

Hi Matt,

They are around, but not cheap. You might want to have a look at a new Air filter, and exhaust (or just filter). If you have a Performance mechanic around, I would chat with them to see what they can do. I have a 2001 306 Rallye, and I'll be starting with a filter and then a new Exhaust. Sorry I don't have any brands for you.
    Just remember that the chips basically change the data going to the ECU (can anyone confirm this is correct), therefore getting more fuel into engine. If your after more fuel efficiency then this is probably not a good method. What are you trying to achieve?

well my catalytic convertor collapsed because my mechanic believes that a sensor in my engine is detecting more oxygen than there is and is subsequently injecting more fuel which then gets into the exhaust. this will be draining performance as well. do u mean change the air filter or replace the whole device. i noticed that the air intake tube was not completely intact but i taped it up and seems to be flowing ok, could this cause such an issue?
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Again you might want to speak with another member about this, as I'm very much a novice. But, what your looking at is the inlets (either the air box or another mechanism like Pod air filters, gets the air to the injectors or carbs. Around this area are the sensors (fuel and air). As Std it will have the air box set-up, so I'm recommending replacing the air box with a Pod Filter to allow more air to flow into the engine. If a sensor is gone, you'll need that replaced first, though. Either way the ECU needs to be getting the right information from the sensors. So the gap in the inlet hose will create some issue, but may not be the main cause. Hope this starts to steer you in the right direction.

Hi Matt,
    I just came across this. Hope it helps.
    http://www.taylor-eng.com/ecu/motronic_intro.html

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    does anyone know if any microchips can be installed on a 306 to improve fuel injection and thus performance and if so where.
    Hi Mat.

Its an automatic 306 that is already a bit clunky and tired.
    Thats what you need to remember when thinking about complex mods.

Asking can you get a chip.....well yes you can, but is it a bit like asking can you get magnesium alloy race wheels.... of course you can but at the end of the day the car is still a rather well used 306 auto, and therefore one of the least appropriate candidate for either mod.

From my my little drive of the car where I drove it very hard over a crap road, and did a few brake tests etc. It is clear that your front shocks are probably doing nothing much and as a result you front wheels are jumping over bumps and kicking the ABS in way earlier than it should.

Thinking about getting the motor going better and faster is always the best way to satisfy the testosterone that drives such thoughts, but the reality is the guy who's car brakes and handles better will probably be the fastest and definitely be the safest.
    Thats the whole philosophy of driving our french cars with just enough power to make do, but a total package that allows us to punch above our weight.

So the short of my rave is, forget the engine chip and save that type of thing for a car that can handle the power, and in the mean time get your car to handle like it should.

Just a set of shocks will transform your car into a much better car.
    Jo

Yeah I posted this before I was going sell and knew about the shocks. I was moe curious than anything.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Fellow Frogger!

"Chips"
    I know the performance "chips" of which you speak, and they aren't a "chip", but a resistor. Basically crappy wire in a colorful coating. They replace the air temperature sensor and tell the computer that it's a cold day (5 degrees C) all the time. This means that on hot days the computer will put too much fuel through the engine, and it will be spat out into the catalytic converter and kill it. In addition this obviously ruins fuel economy, with the smallest possible increase to performance on some cars that run lean by default. (Yaris 1.3L tuning anyone? Didn't think so...)

Air filters
    As for the air filter, a pod doesn't replace a box unless you will be driving on a rolling road with a fan on it and the bonnet up. In real life this sucks hot air from your radiator and engine, which actually makes the engine run worse (that's why turbo cars use intercoolers, less flow but colder air is better). A pod air filter in a nice box setup costs ~$150, which in conjunction with an $80 Milo tin exhaust (Ala Silvia SR20DET), will yield ~5% more power on a good day.

Summary
    In short, no, you cannot get any more than 5% extra performance out of a Peugeot engine unless there's a turbo to wind up, or you are willing to spend over $1000.

Why does anybody mod?
    The reason car modification is popular in Australia and the USA is because Chevy engines (Holden) and similar are broken from factory. This is so that they can slowly fix them while selling "new models" on the same platform with the same engine, but get more performance with each 2 yearly rendition. Our 2.0L engines make 100KW, their 3.8L engines make 150KW with almost double the displacement. Simple air intake and exhaust mods help on american engines because of the inefficient stock components. Japanese engines are very similar to French ones in these ways, but the mass of factory turbo options makes most of them easy to do up with a turbo setup.

-End Detroit-bashing rant-

Serious tuning
    In addition, American engines' ECUs seem to always be happy to re-tune themselves for better performance, but Peugeot ECUs (engine computers) are one of the first things to change (or supplement with a piggy-back one) when going for high performance. A camshaft upgrade will cost ~$500 and give you ~5% extra performance, or ~10% with an ECU upgrade (~$700). On a 1.6 you might even need intake and exhaust mods as well to achieve that sort of increase. Quad throttle bodies are the next common step up, but cost anywhere from $2000 (doing all the work yourself and bodging some parts) to $6000 (fully installed with work performed by somebody else). A turbo system can be had for the same sort of money, but is far less reliable and a lot more complicated.

Note
    I realize you will be selling this car, I just though I'd post this for the benefit of all those who stumble upon this page later on (I often come across the answers to my questions about french cars on ~5 year old threads found through Google).

Default Good Guts!

Good article and advice!

All hot e'm up rev heads take note .
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

A camshaft upgrade will cost ~$500 and give you ~5% extra performance, or ~10% with an ECU upgrade (~$700).
    This advice seems to contradict:

Summary
    In short, no, you cannot get any more than 5% extra performance out of a Peugeot engine unless there's a turbo to wind up, or you are willing to spend over $1000.

"Chips"
    I know the performance "chips" of which you speak, and they aren't a "chip", but a resistor. Basically crappy wire in a colorful coating. They replace the air temperature sensor and tell the computer that it's a cold day (5 degrees C) all the time. This means that on hot days the computer will put too much fuel through the engine, and it will be spat out into the catalytic converter and kill it. In addition this obviously ruins fuel economy, with the smallest possible increase to performance on some cars that run lean by default. (Yaris 1.3L tuning anyone? Didn't think so...)

Air filters
    As for the air filter, a pod doesn't replace a box unless you will be driving on a rolling road with a fan on it and the bonnet up. In real life this sucks hot air from your radiator and engine, which actually makes the engine run worse (that's why turbo cars use intercoolers, less flow but colder air is better). A pod air filter in a nice box setup costs ~$150, which in conjunction with an $80 Milo tin exhaust (Ala Silvia SR20DET), will yield ~5% more power on a good day.
    No in real life your comment can not possibly cover every car and situation so why say it...Sure there will always be morons that will put their pod just over their exhaust...but common sense dictates to keep well away from...pod on my s16 works very well....and sounds senbloodysational...
    above comment also doesn t agree with your "summary"...

Why does anybody mod?
    The reason car modification is popular in Australia and the USA is because Chevy engines (Holden) and similar are broken from factory. This is so that they can slowly fix them while selling "new models" on the same platform with the same engine, but get more performance with each 2 yearly rendition. Our 2.0L engines make 100KW, their 3.8L engines make 150KW with almost double the displacement. Simple air intake and exhaust mods help on american engines because of the inefficient stock components. Japanese engines are very similar to French ones in these ways, but the mass of factory turbo options makes most of them easy to do up with a turbo setup.
    rubbish...even in jest it is a silly thing to say....

dino

ps...

seems like Jo knows the car....I d go with his advice and recommendations...

Thread Information