Page 74 of 75 First ... 2464707172737475 Last
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1858
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Bob, haven't you got Power outlets in Skipton?
    yeah, it's got a plug, and quite a bit of flex as well. Probably an 'international image' so you don't get confused about the wrong plug for your zone on the end of it.

Another little nicety there as well, the cable exit point is a little ball joint, not a slowly disintegrating rubber thingy.

cheers,
    Bob

Advertisement

ps: actually we make your power here, or will be soon, the first of hundred or so windmills are going up between here and Beaufort, wall to wall ugliness. And, being green power, the more of the bastards they erect the dearer your power will get.....
    JoBo and Kenfuego like this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Terrific, next test mate..??

Well done Bob and your good Lady, you have her well trained but don't say that I said it

Ken
    COL likes this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

dunno about well trained, I think it's the damn broom she rides around in my head....

It seems to be that whenever she is acting as "TA" whilst I'm up the ladder, and I turn around to ask for something to be fetched, she is invariably clutching what I'm looking for !! Is that training or feminine mind reading.....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Bosch blue tester....

G'day again,

well, it's done it's first job. What a delight to use, with trigger speed I have total control over the beast - also got some of the later 4 point masonry bits to go with it which made drilling a 12mm hole through a tight mortar gap a snatch-free doddle.

Love the new style SDS-plus chuck, the all metal quick change keyless chuck is the smoothest I've come across.

Should have had one of these things years ago, one might guess I'm pretty pleased with this purchase....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

Let's talk scanners.
    I know absolutely nothing about them, but have been using computers for 23 years, so would probably be able to operate one.

I still own a Peugeot 505, but my second car is a Commodore and it cost me $100 to get someone to run a scanner on it recently.
    I reckon I will be saving money in the long run if I buy a scanner and Supercheap have them on sale for the next couple of days. They're Bosch, too.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...2019-wk38-2day

What are the parameters of using them ? Newbie / Idiot version, please.

Will I be able to pick up most faults that present themselves ? I gather that they simply tell you the general area the fault is in, and you have to extrapolate from there. But the ability to erase fault codes could be good.

You should get a Delphi ds150e as you know Iím a dealer mech but value this over my stuff at work

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Iím a big fan of the Delphi it works on stuff from fiat to Ferrari and can also do basic obd as well here is a post from last week.
    OBD2 Port Scanners - What use are they? OBD2 Port Scanners - What use are they?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

I just looked them up on the Commodore forum (yes, I know....I shall wash out my mouth now) and Commodores use OBD1 or ALDL. Not OBD2

I shall read that link though.....thanks.

I think you will find commodores use obd2 from 03 on or something Iíve had to use the Delphi on a few vx s and later bloody neighbours

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Sash cramps and tensioned rope "clamps" Mr fixit job!!

Was in Tasmania for my daughters birthday, took the Megane down via the Ferry, and as usual had a bit of a poke around the markets looking at tools etc, Di was looking for a Garden Hoe and we got one for her at $8 and I spotted a long (6 foot) Sash Cramp, I have one of these back in Melbourne, but handy to have another, asked the price $20 and I could not resist it at that price, thank goodness it fitted in the megane, these are the old SAXON brand and you can lock the frames together, I also have a couple of 3 ft sash cramps and if you are gluing up window frames and such like, they come in handy.

Funny thing I had disassembled a Danish Deluxe lounge couch and needed to re-glue the ends back to the frame, and longer than the sash cramp I bought at the market so I went and bought a pair of clamps that would set up on 3/4 inch galvanized water pipe, that set cost me $22 at Tool King Launceston (dearer than the Saxon Sash cramp!!) then I went to Daves demolition materials and bought the only length of 3/4 water pipe for a princely sum of $2 and when I got it back to Di's place it was just long enough.

The tail end of the clamp is threaded and there was a threaded coupling on the pipe but it had rusted so tightly that I could not (using multi grips) budge it. My daughter had no vices... !! so all I could do was use her small angle grinder to grind the outer coupling down to the threads to get the damn thing off, Rest was easy and it held the critical part of the frame while the glue dried.

The less critical side of the frames was glued up using the ancient process of loosely winding nylon rope loops on the length and width of the frame and using a stick to wind up the ropes and apply tension to the other parts of the frame, the winding stick tensioned against the edge of the frames - worked well, used excellent glue that dried overnight , then completed the assembly the next day. Hopefully it should never come apart again.

All in all a workmanlike job.

Sorry I was too [email protected]@dy tired when I finished to take any photographs.. (Old age)

Sounds as if the repair will see you out Ken! Those clamps that use 3/4" water pipe are good - I have had a couple for decades with several different lengths of pipe. Mine are historic items, being made in Australia...
    Kenfuego and bob like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Sounds as if the repair will see you out Ken! Those clamps that use 3/4" water pipe are good - I have had a couple for decades with several different lengths of pipe. Mine are historic items, being made in Australia...
    mine also are ancient locals. I note that they are still available, most likely of different origin though, and nicely updated with legs and even little pads for the jaws....
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292590069161
    lots more with search on "Gluing Pipe Clamp" in that same place.

I had cause today to seek out a couple of new pair of the single handed clamps, like these...
    https://www.toolmart.com.au/eclipse-ec-eohbc12.html
    at such terrible prices that I have promptly dismissed them from my mind.... However, on comparison with the other blue ones, from the green shed. I have to say that I believe that the Eclipse version has the working edge. Also noted that the "add-on" extras for the other blue one also fit the Eclipse....

Both blue ones will run rings around the pretend versions....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

My old pipe clamps have equally old Masonite pads glued on.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Default 1937 McPherson's Tool catalogue.

While I was poking about the markets in Tassie I couldn't resist buying a McPhersons 1937 Catalogue for Engineers and Industrialists, probably paid to much for it (I am a sucker for such old books, manuals and catalogues!!)

Enjoyed browsing through the illustrations of tools. I was rather amazed to find that in the metal working tools, lathes and so forth, not really much has changed to when I started my machinist apprenticeship at the Bendigo Ordnance Factory.

On pages 170 and 171 They have illustrations of Trewhella Jacks with an illustration of a "Monkey" Jack uprooting the base of a tree and how a Trewhella "Monkey winch" is rigged to pull down a tree and then there is the R1040 - The "Dragon power pull with chains, a Handy and Powerful Appliance specially designed to haul a bogged vehicle back to the road" price 30 shillings. Catalogue has a disclaimer: PRICES Owing to the constant changes in overseas prices and Tariff duties, prices are subject to alteration without notice, but will be maintained as far as possible.

That of course is the big difference in the price of things, but I guess that is all relevant, I will try and put up a picture of those two pages. If anyone is interested in old farming tools or just tools I guess I could get off my @sse and put up a picture from the catalogue.

There is also an interesting page (257)on Woodworkers tools and a listing of Mathieson's Beechwood Bead Planes, I acquired a box of these recently with the intention of restoring them when I get a "roundtuit" which is not so easy in these hectic modern times. there a further 10 pages of metal planes and accessories etc.

Ken
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

Check out Ken doing the McPherson's Strut!

Yeah I know - spelling's different.
    Kenfuego, bluey504 and Wildebeest like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

:d:d:d

Yes, those "roundtoits" can be hard to come by. Mostly they aren't metric either....

Great things, those old catalogues. I once had a 1920s American drilling equipment catalogue, big glossy paper bound volume with everything from spanners to complete rigs and engines. Fantastic stuff.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

What I like about that catalogue is the juxtaposition of things that are still made and used unchanged today and things that time has passed by. Sickle grinders on page 82. Two-man crosscut saws on page 100. Micrometers on page 39. Joist braces on page 144. Dawn vices on page 161. And so on.

My favourite is the bush shower on page 307.

I routinely look up McPhersons catalogues to research things. There are three of them in the smallest room in the house right now.

Roger
    Kenfuego likes this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    .......I routinely look up McPhersons catalogues to research things. There are three of them in the smallest room in the house right now.

Roger
    and just who's the idiot that gave their old dogalogs, McPhersons, Repco etc all away, just to make room on the bookshelf....

Although, I'm pretty sure that there's a 'power farming' that escaped the cut....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

Bob, I have 2 copies of the 1949, 1969 (centenary) and undated but 1970s by the look of it McPherson's catalogues. Next time you visit, maybe ask nicely.

Yes, Repco did a fine catalogue too. So did IBC (Intercolonial Boring Company) in Brisbane. I also have a good 1970 Harris Scarfe catalogue from Adelaide (back in the days when they did quality industrial supplies and not cheap homewares).

Power Farming Technical Annuals are marvelous things for farmers and people interested in farm machinery. I have most of them from 1956 to 2003 plus a few recent ones. There are three of them in the smallest room in the house right now, too.

Roger
    Kenfuego likes this.

There are three of them in the smallest room in the house right now, too.

Roger
    My Mrs asked years ago why I read in the small office, the reply was, "no interuptions".
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Bob, I have 2 copies of the 1949, 1969 (centenary) and undated but 1970s by the look of it McPherson's catalogues. Next time you visit, maybe ask nicely......
    Roger
    thanks Roger....

Could be sooner than you think, we have a couple of SWMBO's UK cousins, beer drinking old farts, just arrived, that are keen to do the Warrnambool - Port Fairy seashore tourist thing. Probably starting with a visit to Mr Taylor's....

thanks,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Just a heads up if you need a 12v test lamp. I picked up two of these for the grand sum of $4.94 delivered and they're excellent. I was looking for the old style all metal ones and these have sharp steel tips so you can pierce insulation and unlike many, the rear cap is also brass. They're incandescent; I bought two so I can convert one to LED to test low voltage low duty cycle circuits such as outputs from ECU's (I already have LED's etc as one of my other hobbies is electronics). They arrived much quicker than stated on the listing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric...72.m2749.l2649

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    My Mrs asked years ago why I read in the small office, the reply was, "no interuptions".
    No better place to have a small research Library, everything within reach and time to contemplate. On one of the family farms they had a two seater long drop, now that could be distracting (holes were large and small) to accommodate builds of the day. Even then as a kid perched on the edge of the smallest I was scared I might slip through and fall all the way down - now that would really be in the T...hit!

Regards

Ken

But the landing should be soft and warm
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Page 74 of 75 First ... 2464707172737475 Last

Thread Information