Tool Talk - Page 69
  • Register
  • Help
Page 69 of 71 First ... 195965666768697071 Last
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1761
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

1000+ Posts

Bespoke corrugated iron. Charge a fortune. Hand made.

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Bespoke corrugated iron. Charge a fortune. Hand made.
    And a wee tank of molten zinc for the hot dipping.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

You will be lucky to buy a cast iron model. They are still in demand by body restorers.

However there is one on ebay at a very high price.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/English-...4AAOSw~u5a0wD-

Unsurprisingly english wheels were mostly made only by the Poms.

Various enthusiasts have fabricated the yoke from 13 mm steel plate. Which seems to work OK.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    You will be lucky to buy a cast iron model. They are still in demand by body restorers. However there is one on ebay at a very high price. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/English-...4AAOSw~u5a0wD- Unsurprisingly english wheels were mostly made only by the Poms. Various enthusiasts have fabricated the yoke from 13 mm steel plate. Which seems to work OK.
    Be fun to take that one home and set it up. Wow. Lovely bit of gear.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

If you're going to get a lathe, get a LATHE. I wanted something larger then 9" which is what most of the small ones are. I also didn't want a piece of Chinese garbage. Enter the mid 80's Taiwanese Victor 400.

Small enough to do fiddley bits in, large enough to make a flywheel if I feel like it.

Tool Talk-1529411129180.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app
    59 Floride and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

What a machine! I reckon if I had a lathe, I'd be turning stuff all hours of the day. There'd be round stuff all over the house.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    What a machine! I reckon if I had a lathe, I'd be turning stuff all hours of the day. There'd be round stuff all over the house.
    Me too. Always wanted one, know I don't have enough work to become really proficient. Envy might be a sin but I do envy folk with lathes....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

You watch, now that I've got one I won't need it. All 1.4 ton of it. Was not fun to move. Think I'll sell it with the house now, don't want to move it again.

Still negotiating three phase with swmbo, otherwise it'll be getting rewired to use an inverter, needs rewiring anyway, panel is all banged up.

JohnW likes this.

Wait until you start buying a decent selection of lathe tools.

And some accessories like a dividing head, digital readouts et al.

It's likely to make lathe purchase seem cheap.

Next purchase is a mill (big enough to resurface a cylinder head of course)

Something like this would be ideal

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pres...ine/1156493872

Then you can go in custom parts manufacture and gear cutting.

FWIW three phase machines generally run better off native 3 phase supply.

3 phase "drives" tend to radiate all kinds of EMI and the motors don't run as smoothly.

And since you have entered the slippery slope of setting up a machine shop, three phase supply is essential.
    Last edited by robmac; 20th June 2018 at 07:29 PM.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Wait until you start buying a decent selection of lathe tools.

And some accessories like a dividing head, digital readouts et al.

It's likely to make lathe purchase seem cheap......
    yep, +1, a rule that applies to all machine tools, from the humble pedestal drill onwards. The amount spent on stuff to make the machine tool actually do something useful will total many times the original cost of machine tool....

But it's all good fun, and if you enjoy the exercise the money is well spent....

cheers,
    Bob

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    If you're going to get a lathe, get a LATHE. I wanted something larger then 9" which is what most of the small ones are. I also didn't want a piece of Chinese garbage. Enter the mid 80's Taiwanese Victor 400.

Small enough to do fiddley bits in, large enough to make a flywheel if I feel like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1529411129180.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	106905

Can you do some training videos to show us how to use it .... Every job you need to do know will look "round" so it can go into the lathe

To move it .... Engine crane. Lift it straight up and roll your 6 x 4 trailer underneath...... Then lower down. One like that you can't move once it's placed on the ground ( though 2 piano moving boards from bunnings will probably roll it around easily on concrete).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 21st June 2018 at 10:21 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That's looks to be in his garage, so I'd suggest he's already moved it Shane.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Correct, already moved. The engine crane struggled to lift one end. Luckily I had access to machinery skates and some large pinch bars. I ended up sliding off the trailer as it tilted.

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    Correct, already moved. The engine crane struggled to lift one end. Luckily I had access to machinery skates and some large pinch bars. I ended up sliding off the trailer as it tilted.

Sliding it .... that sounds bloody terrifying I'd be worried it would fall over onto me while its sliding! 1.4tons is crazy heavy... even my tractor could lift that. I would have to somehow get my brothers forklift down to my shed to move it around ( as I don't my engine crane would lift 1.4tons either!)
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Nice, but like others said, and I know very well, the tools cost more.

I have a mill and a lathe (so I can make round stuff square and square stuff round) and a selection of tools including a rotary table, boring head and some other stuff.

But the most expensive is the measuring stuff. Indicators, micrometers, and so on. Which is where I didn't skimp. That is what makes the difference to the job. You can learn to work with your machine's foibles otherwise.

And you don't really need DRO (but sure, if you find one on sale cheaply, why not?). With small machines it can be difficult to slap it on though.

Not to mention a surface plate (which is what I now think I desperately need).

But you're wrong dismissing chinese junk. It's actually quite good. And let's face it, without chinese junk most of us wouldn't have a hand drill.

For small stuff my little lathe is actually more accurate than a large one (my chuck runout is below 1/100mm at full bed length. Being short it has less bed flex, I suppose). Beat that.

The rest is up to operator.

Sure, I'd like a Schaublin but they'd like 20 thousand of my piasters for that.

Cutting gears is an exercise I looked into (and I am only talking small pinion/spur gears), one of the main reasons I got my machines, but that is way out there. A set of gear cutters is serious money, so it's off the table right now. Even if you decide, okay I'll only have a couple of cutters from a set or just one it is still prohibitively expensive at least in Australia, and I am talking import stuff (as in name brand chinese stuff, but not quite Sandvik, etc). Keeping an eye out on ebay you might get lucky with someone throwing away a cutter you happen to need but most of the time it is used so risky, or snapped up by people closer to the source.

Russian ebay is a rich source of magnificent stuff but even that is starting to get expensive (people have learnt what it is).

Otherwise, enjoy your purchase, it's fun.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 21st June 2018 at 05:52 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Compressors eh, is it better to remain ignorant of their foibles (like me) or to educate self on the technicalities?

first problem is they're a bit like the smartphones of the tool world - I remember back in the noughties when everyone had to have a smartphone I was clinging obstinately to my dumbphone wondering how it was that I'd bought my phone and ..... that's all I needed, as opposed to buying the phone, then the little case to put it in in case you dropped it, then the overlay to stop the screen getting scratched, then the headphones cos the earphones you got with it were crap, then the car charger cos it wouldn't last more than a couple of hours on battery, then a second charger cos you forgot to take the first one to work, then ....................

Anyway soon as you get a compressor you need the hose to reach the workpiece, then a second hose cos there's two outlets, then the gizmo to take the moisture out the air for fear you spray paint'll be ruined, then the gizmo to put the oil in the air for the tool at the end, then the tyre inflator, and on and on .................

Years back at a point when I thought that pretty much all I'd have to do to my Traction Avant was some tidying up and a repaint (cue maniacal laughter here ..) I was in an auto paint store and they had a 'special offer' package deal on a compressor, accessories, and spraygun. So I bought the thing, it's an "Eagle Blue" 2hp direct drive 24 litre. It's about eight years old now and I've worked the thing pretty hard (at least intermittently), changed the oil occasionally. Over this time I've accessorised it and just recently was using it to power my sheet metal 'nibbler' whereupon it really struggled. Now several differences over the last time this combo was used - first I was using 1.6mm sheet (1.2mm last time), second all the kit's a bit older and more worn now.

According to the data the nibbler needs 4cfm, the compressor (according to the sticker on the tank) is 114 L/m which if my calc's are correct is just over 4cfm. I spent a long time waiting for pressure to peak, the tool would go a few seconds then hang up with just the air hissing through. So next thing I was in Aldi getting the weekly groceries when I see they had a 2.5hp 50L compressor, knocked down from $130, to $100 (two left, must of been the second week). Minor difficulty was that I'd walked to the shop - got around that one and assembled my new purchase, immediately tested it on a 1.6mm offcut. The nibbler went like a knife through butter. Since then I've found during the next real piece of fabrication even with the brute power of 271 L/m or 9.6cfm I'm still waiting intermittently for the thing to recover to full pressure - but less interruption than the old unit. But what witchcraft is this? how can an extra 1/2 hp {25%} give 140% increase in air delivery? has there been such techno-progress in compressory in the last eight years? don't think so both motors & squashy-bits look identical :-/
    Tool Talk-p1030396.jpgTool Talk-p1030397.jpg
    Anyway there they both are in their glory - the venerable old war pony, and the shiny new Ferrari of compressors
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

Grab yourself an out of test car LPG tank , junked compressor with an intact tank or 90kg LPG gas cylinder.

Connect both of your compressors to the new receiver (tank).

You will get an increase in air capacity and the air storage is helpful in running tools

Check you have sufficient electricity capacity in your workshop. With both compressors running you will need around 6.5 amps each.

Best would be run each off a power point from a separate phase at minimum a separate 240v circuit.

I've also found the second receiver condenses the moisture from the air and also cools the air.
    Kenfuego, baldrick56 and Sunroof like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Rm - was wondering if I could hook the two up for best effect, somewhere in the system I'll need a non-return valve (more bling to buy) as the old one runs at 8 bar & the new 10.
    Balders
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

I wouldn't believe the ratings on them. I've found the little oiless direct drive compressor really slow .... extremely noisy .... and they run hot as hell. They are perfect for intermittent use tools though as they can be stored on any angle without leaking all the oil out .....

I doubt the two strung together will be capable of running any air tool that requires constant air (you always need a far bigger compressor than you could ever imagine). I figure bigger is always better with compressors

seeya
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Many have non return valves in the pressure switch.

The different pressure settings can work to you your advantage.

Because on "light" air draw off, only one compressor will run. And when the pressure drops a bit lower the second will start. Less use and wear on the secondary compressor.

FWIW I've found the braided water flex hoses cope with 14 bar easily. When means you can use standard gal water fittings and flex hoses to do the plumbing.

The auxiliary receiver will collect a lot of condensate - make provision to drain it and do so regularly.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

........The auxiliary receiver will collect a lot of condensate - make provision to drain it and do so regularly.
    and also help get rid of the LPG stench....

cheers,
    Bob

The antidote for the LPG stench is basic bleach applied as a spray. The odourant is called ethyl mercaptan, used in Natural gas as well.
    Or just litter the workshop with empty baked bean cans....
    Brendan.

That is likely a case of the "cure" being more harmful than the the "complaint".

Just spotted a nice little saw on facebook for Roger ....

seeya,
    Shane L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Talk-saw.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks Shane, but it's a bit small. My Stihl 076 has 111 cc and 25 and 36 inch bars.

Roger

Page 69 of 71 First ... 195965666768697071 Last

Thread Information