• Help
Page 63 of 69 First ... 1353596061626364656667 ... Last
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1715
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

aaah, old stuff, yes W&B dual signal here as well - the usual one that all have, probably cost me a weeks wages way back when, in it's cardboard box. And, a little baby one of much newer vintage, just like the big one, but particularly suited to plugs 'n stuff in froggy alloy - it was an 'end of stock line' in the chuck out bin at a Laverton tool shop, too cheap to refuse !!

And multimeters, I got that peed off a while back with jumpy digital readings I resurrected dad's old Taylor, in it's bullet proof tin box, and use it all the time now. No more jumpy readings, and, unlike the modern stuff it 'loads up the circuits a bit' and often gives a more sensible answer

The Taylor is in it's original cardboard box, much repaired, no doubt the sales slip is in amongst the paper scraps sitting in the bottom

Advertisement

cheers,
    Bob
    CEyssens and Hotrodelectric like this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Dad's Taylor

G'day,

discovered some pix from when the Taylor had it's surgery....

Tool Talk-taylor75a.jpg

Sturdy beast, big solid switches and lovely terminals, oops, just noticed it's sideways, just tilt your head a little...

I was a bit fortunate, some of these Pommie meters have some really obscure and higher voltage batteries. This guy used a rare battery but it was only a six volt unit tapped [at 4.5V I think] so it was pretty easy to shoehorn in some modern alkalines....

Tool Talk-taylorbattery1.jpg

and extend the height of the battery box with a bit of styrene glued to the edges of the lid....

Tool Talk-taylorbattery2.jpg

All in all a very successful resuscitation and brings back a lot of memories....

cheers,
    Bob

ps: reckon that battery setup above is wrong. 4.5V tapped at 1.5V rings a bell, with the 1.5V as two batteries in parallel to provide extra grunt for the low ohms range.
    Last edited by bob; 6th March 2018 at 12:31 PM.
    CEyssens, JohnW and Hotrodelectric like this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I have quite a lot of prized tools around ..... I put them in "a safe place" over the years................ Oneday ............ hopefully in the near future, I'm going to find all the "safe places" so I can use the damn tools. I'd love to find my machinery cleanery brushes.... I put them in a safe place .... I've spent a lot of time searching for them over the last couple of years................. Oneday they will turn up right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    That's something like my mom. She passed away 6 years ago, and we are STILL finding new kitchen gadgets that she bought and squirreled away.
    JohnW likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taylor75a.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	104250

Sturdy beast, big solid switches and lovely terminals, oops, just noticed it's sideways, just tilt your head a little...

I was a bit fortunate, some of these Pommie meters have some really obscure and higher voltage batteries. This guy used a rare battery but it was only a six volt unit tapped [at 4.5V I think] so it was pretty easy to shoehorn in some modern alkalines....

Name:	TaylorBattery1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	104251

and extend the height of the battery box with a bit of styrene glued to the edges of the lid....

Name:	TaylorBattery2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	104252

All in all a very successful resuscitation and brings back a lot of memories....

cheers,
    Bob

ps: reckon that battery setup above is wrong. 4.5V tapped at 1.5V rings a bell, with the 1.5V as two batteries in parallel to provide extra grunt for the low ohms range.
    Exceptionally cool. Looks like the old Simpson I have. The analog needles have their uses. Most modern techs look at that and can't even ID it, much less use it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Who says you need to do a lot of work to justify a good tool? I have a Fluke 87 but can go weeks between uses.

Roger
    OK, I'll take that on the chin and agree!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have quite a lot of prized tools around ..... I put them in "a safe place" over the years................ Oneday ............ hopefully in the near future, I'm going to find all the "safe places" so I can use the damn tools. I'd love to find my machinery cleanery brushes.... I put them in a safe place .... I've spent a lot of time searching for them over the last couple of years................. Oneday they will turn up right seeya, Shane L.
    I have you to thank for Machinery Cleanery brushes. Many thanks again. Wonderful things. But they hide. In my experience the only way to get them out of hiding is to buy another, then they stop sulking and pop up immediately.

Cheers
    gsmack likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Not only do I have the original box and paper wrapping, I also have the original receipt when my father bought it. Model 3220 (the 120 ft-lb model), 21/12/1967, $20, Motor Spares Ltd, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.

More recently I have bought a smaller and a larger W&B, and some Stahlwille ones for when I need ratchets, open end inserts or left hand threads (e.g. truck wheel nuts).

With torque wrenches I think repeatability and consistency are more important than absolute accuracy. Anyway, I have never encountered one that is so out of adjustment as to be not useful.

Roger
    As a student, I was earning $28.40 a fortnight in 1968, so that puts $20 for a torque wrench into some sort of context!
    CEyssens and Hotrodelectric like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

My bewdy...

Tool Talk-img_0001.jpgTool Talk-img_0002.jpg
    I grabbed one of those chargers.... It seems really nicely made. Nice manual "clunk .. clunk" switches. Manual timer. The leads are heavier than most jumper leads you can buy. The spring clamps are good and strong. I hooked it up to the big tractor battery and put it on fast charger with timer for an hour. It started charged at 24amps ... and slowly dropped back to 4 amps (so the battery was still quite charged).

I haven't start the jump start function yet.... It's "real" basic tooling. Weighs about 25kg I'd say. Its just a big huge transformer and a few diodes no doubt.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'm another with a W&B torque wrench inherited from my Dad. Repco branded, circa 1974.
    Last edited by Stuey; 19th March 2018 at 09:12 PM.
    bob and CEyssens like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    My bewdy... I'm another with a W&B torque wrench inherited from my Dad. Repco branded, circa 1974.
    Do you have a Repco Engine Service Manual to go with it? I found it wonderful as an amateur.

Good to see you around!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Hi John, no manual I'm afraid...

I should add, I have two smart chargers as well, including a C-Tek. The one above boils a battery in short order if you leave it.

I also have a small 1.2 amp-er transformer supply with adjustable voltage I made using an LM317 for all sorts of charging duties. I included an analogue ammeter on it so you can adjust current draw via the voltage differential applied.
    JohnW likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

G'day,

[...]
    Nice.

But I can top that.

Got and restored one of these:

http://www.heathkit.nu/V-7A_1024.jpg

And then, I realised I can not check capacitors above 25V for leakage and got one of these and restored it:

https://www.californiahistoricalradi...er-should-own/
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I use a < $20 Bare pcb ESR tester purchased off ebay.

For me, it does the job without complication and is bang for buck.

I have a Fluke 2711 digital meter as well.

Old instruments have their attraction, but not necessarily if you want an accurate reading and a rugged instrument.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

I have a Philips portable valve radio which takes (from memory) a 90v battery or something silly like that. I'm yet to get around to sorting out a suitable substitute. It may have to be mains powered as I have so many of these projects going on, rigging up some sort of multiplier and multiple NiMh's is too much messing around for the time I have!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Thought I'd post the useful Multi Charger. Gauge shows 1A but the LM317 regulator chip and transformer can handle more. Knob on left varies voltage via a multi turn trimmer from zero to around 21v, very slowly. So you can dial in the current output. I use it to charge small SLA's, drill batteries and all sorts. Plus it's good for driving circuits for testing things, and can trickle charge a car battery of course, although I have proper chargers as mentioned.

That's obviously a computer PSU but the box is gutted. I retained the fan.

The analogue gauge is so useful to judge the charging state. It was configured as variable current via the knob but I found voltage adjustability more useful and it achieves the same thing really.

Tool Talk-img_0001.jpg

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Looks useful, Stuey. Any chance of a circuit diagram?

Thanks,
    Roger

1000+ Posts

Yep, it's the one from the LM317 datasheet in the link below, fig 20. I used a multi tap transformer I'd picked up when Dick Smith went out of electronics, and the meter is from Altronics.

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LM317-D.PDF

As mentioned, I used a multi turn trimmer for the adjust resistance to give very precise adjustment. There are a few useful configurations in that sheet. And the fan fitted is run off one of the transformer taps using a small bridge rectifier. I also have a capacitor across the output for smoothing.

The fan is real overkill, but as it was there I thought why not. The LM317 is mounted on one of the heatsinks taken from the PSU.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Nice.

But I can top that.

Got and restored one of these:

http://www.heathkit.nu/V-7A_1024.jpg

That yankee job is a bit modern though....

There's a a real VTVM in the garage somewhere, an AVO, about the size of four housebricks...

It would take a really brave fella I reckon to plug it in and flick the switch.....

cheers,
    Bob

Thanks Stuey.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

has anyone tried one of these brushcutters?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-Po....c100505.m3226

just because the engine is a honda doesn't mean the rest isn't crap though .... The pole saw and hedge trimmer would be very handy if they are any good.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi Guys,

has anyone tried one of these brushcutters?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-Po....c100505.m3226

just because the engine is a honda doesn't mean the rest isn't crap though .... The pole saw and hedge trimmer would be very handy if they are any good.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I have one of these with a generic engine, the components look identical.
    Mines worked fine but itís not suited to daily HD use.
    I did break one hedge trimmer gearbox as it had a spring washer on the pivot bolt to set clearance.
    Under load the spring washer would compress allowing the gears to open up and load up the tips eventually breaking the gears.
    The seller (not this one) sent a new hedger unit, so I replaced the spring washer with shimmed washers, and itís held up to a lot of hard work since.

This one may be different but looks very much the same.

Craig

1000+ Posts

If you want a multi tool that works hard and lasts (ie a professional would spend on one)....

Japanese company that assembles in China - Echo
    Japanese, and made wholly in Japan (a small town near Hiroshima) - Shindaiwa.

Both makes are divisions of the same Japanese firm now, after some mergers. Both are sold in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    If you want a multi tool that works hard and lasts (ie a professional would spend on one)....

Japanese company that assembles in China - Echo
    Japanese, and made wholly in Japan (a small town near Hiroshima) - Shindaiwa.

Both makes are divisions of the same Japanese firm now, after some mergers. Both are sold in Australia.
    Oh yes I am aware of that ................. However your talking several thousand dollars Sure it would last a lifetime. Especially given I hate using brushcutters and use them as little as possible.

The way I cut grass....

first --- mower with 2.25meter flail (this bit is the easiest bit)
    2nd -- mow with ride on the bits the tractor can't get to
    3rd -- (rarely done as its work) cut around all the trees and places the ride on can't get to with a Victa super 600 (you can do around trees with it as it has a cutout in the deck).
    last -- brushcutter. The only thing that can clear the blackberries and grass from under fences and spots the victa can't get too. The "usual" is spending an hour trying to get the bloody thing to run .... scream at it ... kick it ... and throw it back into the shed deciding you don't like using bloody brushcutters either way.

The use will be as little as possible, so I don't want to spend thousands. It must be heavy'ish though as a little bent shaft line trimmer wouldn't cut through gorse or blackberry.... and I want to use a metal blade not those bloody annoying lines

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    I have one of these with a generic engine, the components look identical.
    Mines worked fine but it’s not suited to daily HD use.
    I did break one hedge trimmer gearbox as it had a spring washer on the pivot bolt to set clearance.
    Under load the spring washer would compress allowing the gears to open up and load up the tips eventually breaking the gears.
    The seller (not this one) sent a new hedger unit, so I replaced the spring washer with shimmed washers, and it’s held up to a lot of hard work since.

This one may be different but looks very much the same.

Craig
    perfect, that is what I needed to know . The use will not be heavy commercial. If I buy one I'll check for the issue you mention!

seeya,
    shane L.
    CEyssens likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Keep in mind that a great many "Honda" small engines sold are Chinese knock-offs, of variable quality. The labels are meaningless. You'll find out when they break down.

I wouldn't go less than an Echo brushcutter myself. You can get metal blades.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Keep in mind that a great many "Honda" small engines sold are Chinese knock-offs, of variable quality. The labels are meaningless. You'll find out when they break down.

I wouldn't go less than an Echo brushcutter myself. You can get metal blades.
    Yes that is true ... I think these are actually honda motors. Possibly a model not officially sold in australia though. I was looking at the local mower place last week. They actually sell these exact brush cutters, but the motor is too small (the the 26 not 36cc version). and all the attachments add up to make it quite expensive.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 63 of 69 First ... 1353596061626364656667 ... Last

Thread Information