• Help
Page 55 of 55 First ... 5455152535455
Results 1,351 to 1,357 of 1357
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

I'm pretty fond of metal wiper inserts. Great for releasing internal clips on stuff, nice 'n stiff but not as bulky as a screwdriver. Also good for making fishplates for garden railways I'm told

Picked up a little pad-handle at Aldi the other day for hand holding jigsaw blades, in a little plastic box to make it easier to find amongst all the other 'handy bits' one accumulates....

cheers,
    Bob

Advertisement

Default Dual action oil filter tool

Picked this one up today. Saw it a few months back but had to wait until I had measured diameter of all the filters I am likely to need it for on various family/friend cars. As it turned out it fits all of them.
    I am finding it more difficult to use the old lever/clamp type these days as there is minimal room around most filters, so I wanted the end clamp type. I had one already, but it didn't expand to all sizes, and could only undo the filter, no help in installing new one. OK, some will say you only tighten by hand, but sometimes I can hardly get a decent grip and am struggling to turn it the required amount.

This one does 63-102mm filters, in both directions. I think the the design is quite ingenious. Probably been around for years, but I hadn't come across one. Purchased at Auto-One, about $30. Yet to prove that it works.

Tool Talk-oil-filter-tool_1.jpgTool Talk-oil-filter-tool_2.jpg
    JohnW likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

1000+ Posts

Yeah, they have been around for a while. The other variation has the bits that grip onto the sides of the filter made from knurled round stock, so the knurling will grip no matter what size the filter is. I reasearched them a while back and worked out they were the best, apparently, but I ended up with one of those cup type because three of my cars have the same sized Purflux filter.
    Wildebeest likes this.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I went Aldi last Saturday and bought one of their plastic welders on sale for $24.xx
    I was a bit sceptical but thought for the price I had nothing to lose. Already used it twice to repair rare R8 air vents.

Seems to work Ok for small jobs.
    KB

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default plastic repair & filter spanners

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I went Aldi last Saturday and bought one of their plastic welders on sale for $24.xx
    I was a bit sceptical but thought for the price I had nothing to lose. Already used it twice to repair rare R8 air vents.

Seems to work Ok for small jobs.
    my favourite for cracks in plastic is stripped out copper from house wiring zig-zag back 'n forth along the crack and pushed into the plastic with a small soldering iron.

Used all those filter spanners, best ones are the socket spanner type by far, the handled Purflux one is OK too, the rest work.... errr.... sometimes.

cheers,
    Bob

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Picked this one up today. Saw it a few months back but had to wait until I had measured diameter of all the filters I am likely to need it for on various family/friend cars. As it turned out it fits all of them.
    I am finding it more difficult to use the old lever/clamp type these days as there is minimal room around most filters, so I wanted the end clamp type. I had one already, but it didn't expand to all sizes, and could only undo the filter, no help in installing new one. OK, some will say you only tighten by hand, but sometimes I can hardly get a decent grip and am struggling to turn it the required amount.

This one does 63-102mm filters, in both directions. I think the the design is quite ingenious. Probably been around for years, but I hadn't come across one. Purchased at Auto-One, about $30. Yet to prove that it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil Filter Tool_1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	98606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil Filter Tool_2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	98607
    I've had one for many years... the best one is the most compact ones ... 3/8ths not 1/2" To change a CX oil filter you just use two long 3/8ths extension bars from beneath (so it's a piece of cake! ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Hagglund, I have three of those inherited from my Dad, if you mean the ones that are a cylinder of solid metal with a 1/2" drive sticking out the end that can be set to turn either way by turning the drive end. Hold in one hand and whack the end with a socket on the other end driving the nut. Mine have screwdriver bits as well, like most I've seen. All good quality, but can't remember the brands. As I wrote above, though, I was concerned about whacking the crank longitudunally in case it damages something.
    That's an impact driver for getting out tough Philips screws on motor bike cover screws.
    You hit on end like a punch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Page 55 of 55 First ... 5455152535455

Thread Information