Tool Talk - Page 51
  • Register
  • Help
Page 51 of 71 First ... 4147484950515253545561 ... Last
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1767
Like Tree421Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

Yes, I thought t was worth that too, but Zetor is an unpopular make. It's handy as a spare.

Advertisement

I have a 3 PL post hole digger but rarely use it. I borrow a neighbour's post driver instead. The post hole digger makes a 12 inch hole, which is bigger than a post so you have to backfill the hole around the post and ram the earth with a crowbar. Beats digging the hole by hand though. I also have a jackhammer which is quite handy if there are rocks in the way or I only want to dig one hole. If that doesn't work I go for the explosives. And I re-use fence posts all the time.

Roger

I have a small yard with lots of clay in the soil so the lawn has a tendency to get small areas of hard patches which benefit from aeration. This is my solution, but only recommended for smallish areas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	94228
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

A dressing of gypsum would be a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

If that doesn't work I go for the explosives. And I re-use fence posts all the time.

Roger
    Always USE explosives, just because it's fun.
    And fence posts get re-used as firewood (at my place 50 year old red gum fence posts are very warming.!). My late Uncle had the most dangerous contraption that connected to his tractor. It was unguarded and would turn Yellow Box into corner strainers or old corner strainers into stove fuel without much fuss!
    Brendan.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    I have a small yard with lots of clay in the soil so the lawn has a tendency to get small areas of hard patches which benefit from aeration. This is my solution, but only recommended for smallish areas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	94228
    Those drills are way to expensvie ... I couldn't afford to plant them around the yard. no matter how well it aerated the lawn I do my best to kill the grass off, the last thing want is it to grow faster and greener
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    A dressing of gypsum would be a lot easier.
    That would have required a trip to the green shed. This way I was done in less time it takes to get the car out of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Those drills are way to expensvie ... I couldn't afford to plant them around the yard. no matter how well it aerated the lawn I do my best to kill the grass off, the last thing want is it to grow faster and greener
    LOL

That one cost me nothing. Dad gave it to me after he figured he was done using tools.

The green shed sells sandals with spikes for just such a thing. I believe they also sell spiked rollers to achieve the same outcome.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The green shed sells sandals with spikes for just such a thing. I believe they also sell spiked rollers to achieve the same outcome.
    I am sure they do, but I have already to much stuff to store and I own a drill and excess drill bits. My block is 450 sm(no room for decent shed), take out some 240 sm for the house, concrete driveway, paved areas and garden beds, the roller is overkill for the odd small spot I have a problem with. The roller makes sense for anyone with a real yard.
    Every day is a good day

I am sure they do, but I have already to much stuff to store and I own a drill and excess drill bits. My block is 450 sm(no room for decent shed), take out some 240 sm for the house, concrete driveway, paved areas and garden beds, the roller is overkill for the odd small spot I have a problem with. The roller makes sense for anyone with a real yard.
    Oh man .... when you said lawn aerator ... I was thinking this in my head

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bull...tor/1140336413
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Oh man .... when you said lawn aerator ... I was thinking this in my head

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bull...tor/1140336413
    LOL, just a question of scale. I think that is wider than my footpath and I would need a crane to lift it in the backyard, never mind the thing it attaches to.

The only thing I miss with a small yard is a decent size shed. There are these not too far away - https://www.yourannex.com/ - I know they are bit small for many that have decent sheds (the scale issue again), but my needs are small and I would be happy with the additional storage it would provide, at least until I filled it
    Every day is a good day

At least you don't need to worry about fencing. I just removed the lift chain from my grandfather old block and tackle, so I had a nice hefty bit of chain with a hook on the end. Backed the tractor up to the fence post.... and felt the front tires unload and engine drop in revs as the pump loaded it ... but no movement of post. Then I spent 1/2hour trying different way of wiggling around the post ... rocking the tractor with it loaded (feeling the front wheels left every time I moved forward).............

Then I though "I know how to do this .... Loaded the post until I could feel the front wheels of the tractor get light.... Swith the tractor off (it holds hydraulic pressure for days)..... Grabbed my huge heavy 2.5 ton trolley jack and put it under the 3PL fork frame and pumped the jack up until I couldn't pull the handle down any harder..... You know, I just ended up with it all stuck there. The post didn't budge ... and the jack wouldn't release (it's gears to release the pressure were out of mesh ... I'm guessing the jack is slightly twisting ...... So it took me 20minutes to release the jack, so I could move the tractor away..

Damn ... I have a whole fence to remove ... I counted over 50 posts/pickets that I will need to pull out .... And it's this much effort to extract just one post So in desperation I backed over to one of the posts on the fence to be extracted (the one with a wooden brace over to the corner post) ... hooked the chain around it ... and the damn thing popped straight up ... the tractor didn't even load it's engine or unload the front wheels.

So there you go, my first attempt happened to be "fence post impossible" to remove.... sigh ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hello Shane,

Do you understand the chain and fulcrum post method I described earlier?

Maybe if you post a photo of some of the posts I could suggest more options.

Roger

1000+ Posts

Now you are learning the theory of structural friction piles.

I have always used a chain and crowbar or pole for star pickets. Some are hard, but all have yielded.

Hello Shane,

Roger
    Hi Roger,

yes, I'll try that later The lifting capacity of the 3 point linkage is 1.4tons from memory ... add another 2.5 tons to that and we have one stuck post I'll need a solid post to use as a fulcrum ... so I'll wait until I remove one of the corner posts to use. Nothing else I have here is strong enough (maybe a railway sleeper from one of the garden beds would do .... Actually, yeah that would be perfect, long, strong and straight !)

You would laugh if you saw how pathetic this post is ... it would only be treated pine looking at it ... and about 1 foot in diamter. I bet 50% of it is hammered into the ground though (making it about 8 foot long)

seeya,
    Shane L,
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hello Shane,

Roger
    Rodger, Is this the method you referred to. I too have some whiteant damaged posts that I need to replace before a storm blows the fence over like a neighbours fence did

Every day is a good day

Rodger, Is this the method you referred to. I too have some whiteant damaged posts that I need to replace before a storm blows the fence over like a neighbours fence did

I'll go the opposite of that... If I can find a nice strong post, I'll chain the post to the base of the fence post (towards the very end of the lever). The put the forks under the other end of the lever post and lift. Just me bouncing on it as shown in that video will never move it .. Keep in mind I've probably had 3+tons of direct upward force on this post already and it hasn't budged!

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

COL

What you need Shane is a fence post jack like this

How To Pull Out Fence Posts | 4busydads.com

They make removing fence post so easy.

Dad had an old cast iron version that weigh a ton, I can't think of any fence post that won the fight against it.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post

Dad had an old cast iron version that weigh a ton, I can't think of any fence post that won the fight against it.
    That's a high lift jack .... How do you stop it just dissappearing into the ground and falling over I've always been wary of high lifts and don't as yet own one.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

COL

That's a high lift jack .... How do you stop it just dissappearing into the ground and falling over I've always been wary of high lifts and don't as yet own one.

seeya,
    shane L.
    Yes that is another description for this type of jack.

To stop it sinking into soft ground just put a large piece of wood underneath suck as one of those railway sleepers out of the Mrs garden.

It will not fall over until you get the post out of the ground, we only ever used the hook at the bottom with a very short wire strop around a wooden post.

I can't find a pick on the net of jack Dad had, I reckon it was Australian made in the 1950's
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Trewhella wallaby jack, made by Trewhella brothers in Trentham, Victoria. Legendary Australian product. They came in 2 sizes, a light one with a handle fixed to it, and a heavy one with a detachable handle. I have a heavy one that was my grandfather's, and it is seriously heavy. I have two hilift jacks, and if they can't jack something the Trewhella can.

Fivedoor, no, that is not the method. The pull is horizontal. You put a lost diagonally (roughly 45 degree angle in vertical plane) against the post to be pulled. Top of the angled post against top of post to be pulled. Bottom of angled post facing the direction you are pulling from. Chain around bottom of post to be pulled, up to top of post to be pulled, over top of angled fulcrum post, then along to whatever you are pulling with (tractor, winch). Then pull away.

Roger

I've removed red gum fence posts with the same tool. Place the lifting arm into a rail checkout.

Works a treat and does minimal to the cement path (if some moron has laid one around the post) and removes the maximum amount of rotted post too.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

COL

Trewhella wallaby jack, made by Trewhella brothers in Trentham, Victoria. Legendary Australian product. They came in 2 sizes, a light one with a handle fixed to it, and a heavy one with a detachable handle. I have a heavy one that was my grandfather's, and it is seriously heavy. I have two hilift jacks, and if they can't jack something the Trewhella can.

Fivedoor, no, that is not the method. The pull is horizontal. You put a lost diagonally (roughly 45 degree angle in vertical plane) against the post to be pulled. Top of the angled post against top of post to be pulled. Bottom of angled post facing the direction you are pulling from. Chain around bottom of post to be pulled, up to top of post to be pulled, over top of angled fulcrum post, then along to whatever you are pulling with (tractor, winch). Then pull away.

Roger
    Thanks Roger for triggering my memory, thats the name that is cast on the side of the jack.

Here are some for sale on Gumtree

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toow...cks/1140357279

Dads is like the one on the left.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Tool Talk-jack.jpg
    COL likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Thanks sparked some memories.!!

Thanks Roger for triggering my memory, thats the name that is cast on the side of the jack.

Thanks for that link, I learned something today. I have come across quite a few of the long levers with the square box spanner fitting and never knew what they fitted so left them where I found them, now I know I will look around for the high lift Jack they fit

It's funny I have heard lots of mentions of Trewalla around family circles, farmers really liked them but because they were popular the price was always above what Dad could afford to pay, so I never got to use one. The long handled lever spanners that I have come across were exactly bent and twisted as those are - obviously useful for all sorts of levering and prying jobs.

Ken

Gee's, now THEY are what you call a heavy jack. You can see there designed to hook a big chain around. Anyway, my backyards is way tidier without the fence there.... And now full of a line of dangerous holes I'll need to fill.

That one post ... I couldn't get it out. I popped out every post and star picket in the fence (probably 40 of them) in 1/2 day with a chain a swinging from the 3PL forks... Even the big heavy post the had two gates hanging from it popped straight up and out. So I used it as a lever to pull the one stuck one ( obviously the first one I tried so I'd think this was a bloody near impossible task).

You know it still wouldn't move it .. even with the leverage of an big long post... So I put the 2.5ton trolley jack under the end sitting on the ground.... And lifted the other end of the lever as well.... And finally I noticed the damn post had moved (only about 10cm mind you). So I hooked it straight to the tractor again and it managed to get it out. The damn post was an iceberg A good 2/3rds of it's length were hammered into the ground. Why would you do that with a shitty pine post ? 2 foot would have been enough (the post would have snapped before pulling out being shitty pine).

So now I'm thinking a ripper would be handing to break up a couple of the mullock heaps around the yard so I can fill the holes Digging anything for "soil" here wont happen ( at my place soil is clay with granite through it) ... Gee's these tractors are a handy tool ... you just need the attachments for them. I might have to just go get a trailer load of fill from somewhere to fill the holes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 4th March 2017 at 09:34 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 51 of 71 First ... 4147484950515253545561 ... Last

Thread Information