Tool Talk - Page 50
  • Register
  • Help
Page 50 of 52 First ... 4046474849505152 Last
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1293
Like Tree238Likes

Thread: Tool Talk

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Or dropping your (at the time) only 11mm socket into the engine bay of your D and it NOT hitting the ground. Hmmm, how to now disassemble engine bay enough without the lost socket...
    Can beat that, many years ago, lifting the head from a BMW six attempting to shift rusty ex. manifold nut the spanner slipped. All manner of clangs as it ricocheted around the engine bay. Having nursed bruised knuckles commenced search under car, then progressively further from car, shifting bits of garage furniture to suit - nothing.
    Surveying the scene eventually reached conclusion that only place it could have gone was down the open top of the ex. downpipe (big diameter on a bimmer 6). About 1 hour later having removed entire system & dragged clear of car, turned it upside down to the accompaniment of a metallic rattle as the prodigal spanner hit the floor.
    Wouldn't have sounded good if the car had been started with the in-pipe spanner I guess :-/

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    UFO likes this.
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I personally don't sleep well if I leave spanners etc where I last finished with them. I tend to wipe them down and hang them up/put them back in their drawers when finished even if I'm coming back to the same incomplete job the following night after work.
    I try to do that ... I find I never seem to have the time to do any one task properly ... There is usually 1/2dozen things in bits .. or needing repair at any one time. So whatever is needed the most ( or being complained about the most by SWMBO ) gets the attention.... But hey, it's always fun "finding" lost tools beside something you need working ... but how it goes back together is completely forgotten as you pulled it apart at midnight .... 6months back... and probably stole half the fasteners for something else that needed fixing urgently at some point

Say ... if you have the time ... can someone look at my grease gun for me ... once that sucker is working, then I can find time to run over the grease points on the lawn mower ... and range rover ... and tractor ... all of which have never been touched in the time I've owned them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick56 View Post
    Can beat that, many years ago, lifting the head from a BMW six attempting to shift rusty ex. manifold nut the spanner slipped. All manner of clangs as it ricocheted around the engine bay. Having nursed bruised knuckles commenced search under car, then progressively further from car, shifting bits of garage furniture to suit - nothing.
    Surveying the scene eventually reached conclusion that only place it could have gone was down the open top of the ex. downpipe (big diameter on a bimmer 6). About 1 hour later having removed entire system & dragged clear of car, turned it upside down to the accompaniment of a metallic rattle as the prodigal spanner hit the floor.
    Wouldn't have sounded good if the car had been started with the in-pipe spanner I guess :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can tell the story of replacing the gearbox , after fully reconditioning in my brothers mini cooper.

Putting the exhaust extractors on a 7/16 long series (30mm long) hex brass nut went missing and was never found.

The rest of the engine and gearbox were duly fitted and bolted up.

The bloody gearbox was locked tight in neutral.

Get ready to pull the engine our again, everything else undone, last thing to remove was the remote control gear change.

We undid that and out fell the hex nut - which had been locking up the gear shift !
    JohnW and UFO like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

I personally don't sleep well if I leave spanners etc where I last finished with them. I tend to wipe them down and hang them up/put them back in their drawers when finished even if I'm coming back to the same incomplete job the following night after work.
    There are a couple of spanners there that don't hang straight. I think you should fix it..

I saw that too !

AND you need to put them in a slightly different order.

Especially if you have CDO....which is often wrongly called OCD. However it should be CDO, with the letters in alphabetical order....AS THEY SHOULD BE

COL and JoBo like this.

Some tools that are that are fantastic and are very handy for a novice like myself are the pallet jack and some blocks of wood. And I have stacks of them. Take your pick - Jarrah or Vic Ash
    Tool Talk-20170224_122610.jpg
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

1000+ Posts

Is that all? Soft stuff. Get some grey gum or ironbark.

The way they hang is largely determined by how the hex head sits on the hook. Generally the bigger the spanner the more likely it is to not hang straight.

When I looked at that photo I was more worried about where all the top spanners are on the horizontal section on the Metric side - AF to the left; Metric to the right. There's probably three or four spanners missing off the top rungs. Then I remembered that was as I was setting up and unpacking the tools after the shed replacement, so they just hadn't been unpacked at that stage - they are there now.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Some tools that are that are fantastic and are very handy for a novice like myself are the pallet jack and some blocks of wood. And I have stacks of them. Take your pick - Jarrah or Vic Ash
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170224_122610.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	94085
    Oh ... the pallet jack will be *really* handy ... I chased up a bent crappy old set of 3PL forks ... I'm going to make them into a carry all someday ... but damn there handy (slide heavy stuff on ... move it, then drop it back off)
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Yep, palletise your junk.

It makes it easier to move around the workshop and get out of the way of the current projects.
    UFO likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Yep, palletise your junk.

It makes it easier to move around the workshop and get out of the way of the current projects.
    my brother purchased a forklift to move caravans around with ... He found you just put everything on big fabricated shelves.... You cna then just pick the entire shelving unit up with the forklift and move it around.

i reckon forklifts must be one of those tools.... that once you have one, you wonder how the hell you ever managed without it.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    i reckon forklifts must be one of those tools.... that once you have one, you wonder how the hell you ever managed without it.
    You could even take out an engine of your car with one. I used one from a friend to swap out an outboard. Piss easy.... Sorry bad language.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

I use the hay forks on the tractor a lot for moving stuff that isn't hay. They aren't really designed for it but they are there and I haven't bent or broken them yet, even with a ton and a half on them, loads so heavy that without a counterweight on the back (such as a 700kg bale of silage) the back wheels lift off the ground. A tractor is much less manoeuvrable than a forklift, so I am keeping half an eye open for a rough terrain forklift. Or maybe a telehandler. Or a yard crane. Or ... it doesn't stop!

Roger
    Shoji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I use the hay forks on the tractor a lot for moving stuff that isn't hay. They aren't really designed for it but they are there and I haven't bent or broken them yet, even with a ton and a half on them, loads so heavy that without a counterweight on the back (such as a 700kg bale of silage) the back wheels lift off the ground. A tractor is much less manoeuvrable than a forklift, so I am keeping half an eye open for a rough terrain forklift. Or maybe a telehandler. Or a yard crane. Or ... it doesn't stop!

Roger
    3PL forks won't lift that much. You simply pick the front wheels straight up off the ground if you try (for example, if you pickup the back of a CX with the forks under it's towbar). Having said that ... I found I couldn't pull a couple of fence posts here with them... I just unloaded the front wheels and the hydraulic pump started squealing. They are well over 1 meter into the ground the couple I've extracted... I'm just going to cut the others with the chainsaw below the surface of the ground. What fool hammered them in that far

Oh ... with a forklift. it will need to be an all terrain, my brothers is an old one with pneumatic tyres .. and readily digs holes and gets stuck in the level well formed gravel drive out the front of his shed! They take some getting used too... You have to keep an eye on the back of it (similar to the front of the car when your reversing) as the back veers out when you turn sharply .... it would be really easy to take out a shed wall ... or car/caravan with the back of the forklift while your driving forward.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Not 3pl, Shane, front end loader forks. Notice I talked about the back wheels lifting off the ground.

To pull out fence posts, try pushing them a bit this way and that. Also try putting another post against them at a 45 degree angle to use as a fulcrum, then put a chain around the bottom of the post you are pulling, up to the top of that post, over the top of the fulcrum post where it sits against the post you are pulling, then to your tractor, and try pulling on it. Cutting them off is an absolute last resort.

Roger

Forklifts are pretty easy to roll on unsealed ground as well
    KB

COL

Forklifts are pretty easy to roll on unsealed ground as well
    Thats if you don't get them bogged first (don't ask me how I know). The off road ability of the average forklift is pretty much zero.

To use a forklift around a farm or rural property you will need a telehandler.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Mate of mine has one of the JCB telehandlers, pretty impressive piece of kit with four wheel steer/crabbing and I think four wheel drive. He added electric winch to his so he can lift items otherwise unreachable.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Not 3pl, Shane, front end loader forks. Notice I talked about the back wheels lifting off the ground.

To pull out fence posts, try pushing them a bit this way and that. Also try putting another post against them at a 45 degree angle to use as a fulcrum, then put a chain around the bottom of the post you are pulling, up to the top of that post, over the top of the fulcrum post where it sits against the post you are pulling, then to your tractor, and try pulling on it. Cutting them off is an absolute last resort.

Roger
    Yes, I did notice you said you picked up the back wheel . I read a couple of tractor threads around the place before I bought the old POS 434 here.... and they all said ... FEL are something you really need ... They are also worth as much again as most tractors are to buy! They also all said the tractor needs to be 4wd with power steering or you'll never move it with a loaded bucket

Can you by a detachable bucket and use tines in there place That would move the load being lifted closer to the tractor, so you wouldn't lift the back so much

The biggest issue I find with all of these "wheeled" tools. Pallet jacks, engine cranes, creepers ... Is the damn things are pretty much useless unless you have dead smooth concrete without so much as dust on the surface. I find creepers all but useless ... because if you have a lead light with you .. it'll almost certainly refuse to wheel as you'll end up on the lights cord.

This is the tool I still want ... but my wife still shows very little interest

the 20 x 12meter version of these is about $18,000.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    This is the tool I still want ... but my wife still shows very little interest

the 20 x 12meter version of these is about $18,000.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Wouldn't we all.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Wouldn't we all.
    Well I'd like to see one already up before I decided on it ... those barns usually have uprights in the middle.... I'd like to see how much they effect the usability of the space. You need the height down the middle so you can work on caravans/machinary/"high stuff".

The floor is the killer, it's probably be < $20K for the shed ... but how much is a 20 x 12 slab Maybe it would be cheaper to hot mix half of it for parking

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Those barns are stupid! Sure, they look cute, but they are impractical. The best kind of shed is a single gable with a portal frame. The last thing you want is internal posts. The second last thing is parts of it with a lower roof line.

My front end loader is quick attach at both ends: to the tractor and the attachment. I have a bucket, hay forks, dozer blade and carryall platform, all with quick attach mounts. I have also had a few quick attach mounts made to fit to other attachments I have, such as rock bucket, Lucas grabber, buckrake, crane and silage grab. If the load on the front end is too heavy the solution is simple. Just add a counterweight at the rear. As I said, I just put a silage roll on the forks I had on the 3 point linkage. Problem solved.

The forums are right about FELs. I have used a genuine IH FEL on an IH 434 with manual steering and it was not easy. The trip (rather than hydraulic) bucket wasn't easy to use either. Having said that, my 80 hp Zetor backup FEL is 2 wheel drive and manages pretty well. Its rear end is heavier than my 100 hp New Holland though. It does have power steering. If I could find a power steering kit for a 434 or 444 I would probably put it on my 444.

Roger

Those barns are stupid! Sure, they look cute, but they are impractical. The best kind of shed is a single gable with a portal frame. The last thing you want is internal posts. The second last thing is parts of it with a lower roof line.

My front end loader is quick attach at both ends: to the tractor and the attachment. I have a bucket, hay forks, dozer blade and carryall platform, all with quick attach mounts. I have also had a few quick attach mounts made to fit to other attachments I have, such as rock bucket, Lucas grabber, buckrake, crane and silage grab. If the load on the front end is too heavy the solution is simple. Just add a counterweight at the rear. As I said, I just put a silage roll on the forks I had on the 3 point linkage. Problem solved.

The forums are right about FELs. I have used a genuine IH FEL on an IH 434 with manual steering and it was not easy. The trip (rather than hydraulic) bucket wasn't easy to use either. Having said that, my 80 hp Zetor backup FEL is 2 wheel drive and manages pretty well. Its rear end is heavier than my 100 hp New Holland though. It does have power steering. If I could find a power steering kit for a 434 or 444 I would probably put it on my 444.

Roger
    That sounds like a big beast of a tractor ... I'm guessing if you have a nice big tractor with FEL and all the FEL implements, all your other tractors probably never get touched or used any longer.

I can't believe how much easier the yard is here to upkeep now. Rather than the hassle of trying to keep on top of the grass.... You can now run over both little paddocks in about 1.5 hours... and you dont' break anything ... 'cos even though this is very hard going for a ride-on mower ... It's a walk in the park for a tractor (as it's basically level'ish flat ground).

The biggest bonus, I'd never realised is allergies. I get really bad hayfever from seeding grass... On a ride-on mower you sit down in the plume of grass cuttings, dust and pollen. On the tractor you sit up high, probably 10foot forward of the back of the slasher that throws backwards away from you .... ie: you are out of the dust/pollen cloud.

I didn't realise your 444 had FEL. Without it, and a slasher on the back, you certainly don't need power steering ( wheel weights on the front would aid more than power steering ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Read more carefully. I don't have a FEL on my 444. I used a 434 with a FEL once (about 30 years ago). My 444 has no front wheel weights, but it does have front frame weights and water in the front wheels.

I'm glad the 434 is working well for you. Those tractors are built to work. Ride-on mowers are built to play with.

My New Holland FEL tractor does get used more than the others but the others are still handy. After I bought the New Holland I tried to sell the Zetor FEL tractor at a clearing sale and could only get a bid of $4000 so I kept it as a backup. It has been handy many times. Sometimes you need 2 FELs at the same time. And sometimes the main tractor is not going or being used for something else.

Roger

Read more carefully. I don't have a FEL on my 444. I used a 434 with a FEL once (about 30 years ago). My 444 has no front wheel weights, but it does have front frame weights and water in the front wheels.

I'm glad the 434 is working well for you. Those tractors are built to work. Ride-on mowers are built to play with.

My New Holland FEL tractor does get used more than the others but the others are still handy. After I bought the New Holland I tried to sell the Zetor FEL tractor at a clearing sale and could only get a bid of $4000 so I kept it as a backup. It has been handy many times. Sometimes you need 2 FELs at the same time. And sometimes the main tractor is not going or being used for something else.

Roger
    Ebay and gumtree seem to be the place for tractors to attract the hobby farmer. The Zetor probably needs a truck to move it, which seems to limit buyers to the local area ... I would have thought anything working with a FEL would be a minimum of $8000 in working condition

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dubb...500/1138368684

I'm still amazed at the number of grey fergies that are advertised and sold .... I think it's because they can fit on a car trailer to be moved.... Any modern "grey fergi" sized tractor is going to be a kubota type thing ( so $8000+ rather than 1500->$4500 like a fergi).

Back to tools ... I think I will pull out one of our fences to open up the yard a bit ... Have you ever tried re-using fence posts of a dismantled fence to repair a different fence I can't see the point in buying a 3PL post hole digger (as you would still need to hammer the poles in). There must be an easy way of doing it though without the impolements.

seeya,
    Sahen L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 50 of 52 First ... 4046474849505152 Last

Thread Information