Disconnecting the ABS on S1 Mi16?
  • Help
    Cal

Disconnecting the ABS on S1 Mi16?

I have asked this before and it was suggested I take out the fuse. I have done that and it achieved nothing at all. Very strange. Any other ideas? I have a hillclimb this weekend and I don't fancy the bloody ABS biting me when the rear wheel is in the air.

Cheers,

Cal.

Advertisement
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Just disconnect one wheel sensor...party over!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Take your Rice car!

With the GT4 scoop

LOL

Neil
    moon
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Cal
    I'll wear my baseball cap backwards and hang out the window doing this: head_ban

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Cal,

Assuming it's the Mi16 you're talking about all you need to do is locate the sensor lead under the bonnet or back seat which (on a BX anyway) looks like a car radio aerial lead connector, separate it & once you disable one sensor doing this, the rest just don't operate. The ECU won't let it!(Can you imagine ABS on only 3 wheels?) eek!
    When you're ready to head home, just reconnect & bingo, you have ABS all operational again.

Alan S cheers!

Cal,
    if you have an Australian delivery car, you would have the Bosch system. This has a back up vacuum booster if the ABS pump fails. You need to simulate this failure by removing the right fuse(s). I'm not sure where they are now, but I have a feeling they'e either on the RH side near the engine mount, or the LH side, down near the air filter.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hi Cal

Nothing to do with your thread about removing ABS facility from your Mi16, but can you give me your email address.
    I did an MGCC hillclimb in South Auckland last weekend, and have some good JPEG's my nephew took, of my Mi16 and other competitors incl Brabham and Cooper formula Junior cars. In the Open class I finished 10th out of 20, was monstered by the Brabham driven by a 73 year old, but beat the Cooper.
    MGCC are having a Rallysprint in 3 weeks so I have entered that.
    I did my first Targa event 2 weeks ago, Bambina a one day-10 stage tarmac rally. Started 98th out of 104(the slow end), and finished 80th, so very satisfied. No "moments" but had to spare the engine as with new sump guard water temp. reached 110 degC on long stages and oil temp was up a complete segment on oil temp. guage. Clearly I will need to drill/cut holes in front of sump guard to allow air flow, remove insulation from under bonnet, and perhaps vent the bonnet. I played around with lowering tyre pressures, ending up with 2lbs/sq.in less in rear than front. The Dunlop Formula R's on front were terrific.
    I will email some photos from this recent hillclimb. Enjoy
    Cheers
    Don

Cal
    Thanks guys. I will look at it again on Saturday.

Don, sounds like you have been having quite a good time. I would love to see the pics. If the email is large, could you please send it to me at work: cballinger@capablestaff.com.au .

This Sunday will be my 1st event for the year in the Pug. I have done the 1st round of the QLD motorkana championship and a sprint day last Saturday at QR, so far this year. Both in a Toyota Sprinter I have bought. I am up to Morgan Park circuit on the 25th with the Pug once again. Can't wait.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Cal
    I found an easier solution. The big plug in front of the ABS box on the drivers side of the engine bay; pull it out. wink

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Be REAL careful with that one as on the BX they have a habit of being pretty hard to refit, so take a bit of silicone grease to put around the lip before you try, be careful of the delicate connections & don't pull push or kink the wire where it enters the plug.

Alan S

Administrator
    Cal:
    I have a hillclimb this weekend and I don't fancy the bloody ABS biting me when the rear wheel is in the air.

Cheers,

Cal.
    Ummm...I have to ask Cal, why do you want to disengage the ABS in the first place??
    A hill climb, with it's invariably crapola surfaces is probably the one place ) I would love to have ABS.... (unless it's gravel

If a rear wheel is of the ground, The ABS will simply apply no pressure to either a: just that airborn wheel, or b: to both rears (depending on if it's a 3 or 4 channel system)

In either case, the reduction in breaking will be almost unfelt, as the rear's do very little when airborn

I hope you dont think that you can 'out-brake' the ABS system???

Remember, the ABS will only come into play if you have done something stupid enough to bring it into play (in which case you really want the ABS)

If you disconnect the ABS after driving with it for years (as seems to be the case), how can you expect to instantly develop that sixth sense between lock-up and hard braking that non-ABS drivers develop with their cars.

Good luck on the hill climb.
    (why not do one HONEST run with the ABS connected and then one run witout it)

Cal
    Alan, I have pulled it out, and when I get home, I will tape up both ends with race tape. I don't intend putting it on anytime soon.

Mistareno, the ABS sux. It has got me into trouble on a number of different occasions. If the car is slightly airbourne for example. I certainly do think I can "out-brake" the system. This is the only car I have ever owned with ABS. I have a lot of experience in braking without it. I was once forced to enter a corner too hot, because of the ABS in a SSS Pulsar, resulting in a spin. It is a daunting feeling indeed, to have a car determine when you no longer need the brakes applied.

More modern ABS I have tried is a lot better that it used to be. That said, it's really there for people who can not drive. You certainly don't want it on a race track.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Administrator
    Cal:
    I certainly do think I can "out-brake" the system.
    I was once forced to enter a corner too hot, because of the ABS in a SSS Pulsar, resulting in a spin. It is a daunting feeling indeed, to have a car determine when you no longer need the brakes applied.
    Umm...How did the ABS cause you to enter a corner to hot???
    The ABS will only work if a wheel is in a state of lock up (ie: the car is doing 60 kph and the wheel is not turning)
    What's to say you wouldn't have spun anyway???

Cal
    While trail braking into a corner, the inside rear of most FWD cars will leave the ground. When this happens and you are REALLY on the brakes, the ABS kicks in, causing the pedal to pulsate. For the split second this is happening, you do not have full control over the brakes.

If I had been able to pivot the car on a locked front wheel, I would have been able to enter the corner at a slightly lower speed and at a better angle of turn in. Maybe I would have spun, maybe not. I had not had that car on the very limits of adhension anywhere near as many times as the Peugeot. It simply didn't inspire as much confidence.

It happened again the other day in the Pug. I KNOW I would have been able to correct the situation, if it were not for the bloody ABS. Sometimes it actually feels like the brakes have been released, when you need more pressure, not less.

I disconnected it today and went for a drive. It is much improved. I know it will be quicker and safer at the hillclimb on Sunday. That is all that really matters in the end.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Thread Information