Bris DCOE tuners
  • Help

Bris DCOE tuners

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good dyno tuner in Brisbane that knows there shit with Webers in particular DCOE'S

Anyone ??

Advertisement

Thanx
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

BOB ROMANO: heard good things from there. Although i have never taken my car there, he has dyno'd my dad's few previous cars, same with some of my mates and they are all pleased with the work.

It's in the phonebook. His website. <a href="http://www.bobromano.com.au" target="_blank">www.bobromano.com.au</a> is under construction atm!

1000+ Posts
    Ive tried bob remano but i found he is not a very
    personable type of guy..seemed to be running a business ahead of any interest in my car. Maybe after a few visits when a relationship is built up
    the perceived lack of interest may disappear. Only my thoughts tho!

i've found the dyno at advanced performance centre
    at underwood to be very good...and he lives and breathes cars especially when something different
    from frogland comes in. He normally has 10 wrx's and racecars outside for tuning. [he is tuning atm a 800bhp honda crx] Its well worth a visit to see the variety of cars there..even the odd lambo.
    If you do go there talk to nick and tell him i sent you.
    Just around the corner is carb'n ject, also very good at tuning but sometimes not very amicable!!
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Talking about this to Jim Bertram tonight elicited the thought that tuning for racing is easy... for road use it's difficult with DCOEs... because so much on them is adjustable.

Gimme SUs any day...

He also said there is a great problem because no matter what DCOE you have, it was made for something else.

My brother has a dyno on the Gold Coast (Currumbin Dyno Tune) but I don't know what experience he's had with DCOEs... surely some, as he used to compete in rallies and he's been in the GC Motorsport Club for many years.

Jim said that one of the most critical things was having the right emulsion tube...

Hey thanks fellas.

I'll suss them out and let ya know how I get on.

I dont think its gonna be cheap though.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Carb N Ject at Underwood do quite a few Group N (57-73 sedan) race cars with Webers and are are certainly good on programmable injection.
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Tadpole
    have had car dyno tuned with side drafts.. went worse than when it went there....
    ever tried to put in the jets that the factory recomend???? they did all the testing, why waste all your money....
    regards paul.

Fellow Frogger!
    Paul from AutoParis:
    have had car dyno tuned with side drafts.. went worse than when it went there....
    ever tried to put in the jets that the factory recomend???? they did all the testing, why waste all your money....
    regards paul.
    What if your engine isn't factory spec?

The only reason your car would go worse after dyno tuning, is if the guy who does the tuning doesn't know what he's doing, or is a bit slap happy with his tuning (i.e. near enough is good enough).

Dave

<small>[ 08 November 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: fiveohs ]</small>

Agree with David... or if you look at my earlier post you'll notice that Jim Bertram's reasons for problems included this one...

...no matter what DCOE you have, it was made for something else...
    We are not talking here about standard fitment carbies... DCOEs came on Alfas, Lotuses, Carger R/Ts and stuff like that... these are not the downdraught carbies that hide under those air cleaners.

His other assertion was that...

tuning for racing is easy... for road use it's difficult with DCOEs... because so much on them is adjustable.
    It follows, then, that taking them to some 'experts' will have you driving out of there with a very un-roadable car. But great for a midnight fang...

1000+ Posts
    Vizard on DCOE tuning says that "once you've got the right emulsion tube, you're home and dry."

I once read an article about using a standard oxygen sensor in the exhaust to do your tuning - basically a DIY mixture analyser. This is just used along with a multimeter. Apparently these all have a very similar resistance at certain mixtures (can't remember what it was) and above and below this resistance indicates lean and rich. The resistances were given for certain mixtures. As long as you know where you want it to run rich (or slightly lean) this sounds like an interesting project. You could even drive around with the meter in the car. The sensor is removed and a plug screwed in once the tuning is completed. (Yeah, I know Jaycar has kits, but you have to pay for these )

Mind you, for a DCOE from scratch it might be a bit much, unless you've got a shed full of jets/tubes...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Not to mention endless time to test all the permutations...

This was Jim's point, that to get it right for more than just full throttle usage you have to be a genius and have more than one engine to wear out in dyno testing.

1000+ Posts
    Yeah. I still reckon it would be worthwhile, though, to fine tune jets if you have a ballpark carb setting, like say, after modifying an engine on which the carb was previously set up ok.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I think you missed my point...

These carbies never came on any Peugeot engine at all... not ever. Hence you are never going to have one that was set up right unless someone has already done heaps of dyno tuning... more than an expert would get through in a day.

Manufacturers spend months developing these things for different cars. They have never done it for a Peugeot engine.

For race use it's a different matter.

<small>[ 18 November 2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

1000+ Posts
    Nahhhh. I got your point, Ray-mondo!

Cheers!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Well two Yrs latter I get The R17 back from the Tuners, and gawd its amazing what a good tune will do. Goes really well I'm quite happy with it.

Ended up taking it to a guy in East Brisbane, Took his time, but was well worth it.

I'll be taking it out to Willowbank shortley to see what she runs.

I'm not expecting anything all that quick. Just be interesting to see what she actually runs.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Thread Information