205 gti suspension
  • Help

205 gti suspension

I would like to get the advice of all you Peugeot experts and in particular the people who have modified 205 gti's. I will be attacking my suspension within the next two months and want to know from experience what the best combo is. i.e. Koni/Eibach springs or OEM struts? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

cheers!
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey dude,

I have the Eibach / Koni adjustable combo in my series 1 205 GTi, lowered 1" at the front, reset the rear torsion bar as well. I reckon the OEM struts would have been a better choice as they seem to soak up the bumps better than the Koni's. Granted, I can adjust the Koni's down which I do intend to play with, but if you are going to replace the struts anyway, and you have a series 1 205, look at getting a set of 205 series 2 front struts, then you can do a brake upgrade (disc / calipers off a series 2 or a 306/405) its then a bolt on due to the different pick up point for the caliper than the series 1. Whew, typin away madly, only got a short time . If you have a series 2 205, just try the Eibach's first and see how you go .

If you lower the car, on 15" rims, you want a 195/50 series tyre, you may have to "trim" the inner plastic guard on the rear so you dont rub.

Ride will suffer a bit, but OEM struts would probably cure most of that.

That said, they look FAT lowered.

Cheers

Chipper

(Rare visitor, G'day everyone )

1000+ Posts
    yeh agree with chipper on all of the above however the cost for eibach/koni setup is fairly big $$

chipper! how are you m8? what are you up to, havent seen you on air of late? must have a bris. meetup again soon and i will show you my new addition to the 205 family...how does 200bhp sound.

cheers john r
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Thanks for the reply guy's

I would be keen to speak to you both rearding these cars and get more idea's on upgrading them.

As you are both Brisane Boys let me know if you would be keen to meet for a beer or six and talk turkey about Pugs.

a_drink
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Guys, I am trying in vain to organise a drive day in the next few weeks. Head over to the General threads and see what's going on. A catchup beer sounds good too.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Cal
    mmmmmm..........beer!!

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Where do we all work?

I'm at West End and live at Annerley

1000+ Posts
    i work at springwood and live mt. cotton
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Cal
    I work in the city and live at Holland Park.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Anyone feel like meeting up for a beer this afternoon?

I will be in for that!

Work it out with Cal and tell him to call me.

Neil a_drink cheers!
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Cal
    Yeah Brad I'm up for that. As you probably know, Neil and I live together. I have a client at 6pm. Would 7pm suit you? Holland Park Hotel is just near us and the Stones Corner Hotel is not too far away either. Give me a call 0407 976 941. You'll have to check out the Hyperstimulator some time to. Have another look at Parry's "My favourite car" thread.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

A client at 6pm on a friday night...that's a bit steep

I think I am going to the Coopooroo RSL for some drinks tonight, but I wouldnt expect it to be until after 9 though.

Ill do some more organising and get back to you about it.

Brad

Cal
    Ok cool.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Fellow Frogger!
    JR,

What are you trying to do to me, make me cry ??? 200HP, mate, I have to see this thing.

You can mail me on :

chippeb@allianz.com.au

Be keen to catch up for a hello.

Just so you know, some people are organising a SEQLD cruise for the 20th of this month, plenty of points for anyone to bail back to brisbane if you have a limited drive time......check out :

<a href="http://www.performanceforums.com" target="_blank">www.performanceforums.com</a>

in shootouts, there is a thread about the cruise.

I cant even access this site from work now not even to lurke but I can be raised on the above site as work hasnt cotton'd onto that site yet

Failing that, I would like to invite any of you guys to catch up most tuesday nights at the Adrenilin bar in town @ 5/+ pm, a few mates and myself get in there to play trivia (badly mind you), so we can talk Pugs then if you like.

Just a side note, a mate who was turbo RWD all the way has recently bought a SEAT Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport, he cant believe what a Euro FWD hatch can do for grin factor....slowly converting the heathens

Cheers

Chipper

HI Guys,

It really depends on how you want the 205 to handle. If you want a go kart style then go for the full aftermarket. If you still want the 205 to handle some bumps then I'd be with the other guys and fit some new boge shocks. I can get prices for all if need be. And all you brisbane guys Jr gave me something to think about if you are looking for some parts for 205 I'll start to get some prices of just air filters, oil filters, oem shocks, and anything you need.

Yours Nick Watson

Also I now work at south brisbane
    <a href="http://www.pugaction.com" target="_blank">http://www.pugaction.com</a>

hi guys,

the suspension on my 205gti needs overhauling - now, if i attempt burn outs or take a corner at frightening speeds , my pug shudders.

it would interest me if any of you could kindly list rough estimates on how much oem and aftermarket setups would cost. Thanks in advance yall cheers!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Pugjet,

Have you checked out the <a href="http://www.autofive.co.uk/" target="_blank">AutoFive website</a> ?........there are some prices on there to give you some idea.....

Suspesnion wise, the only thing i'd really do is add a decent strut brace.....15" wheels, good tyres and healthy oem shocks, struts, bearings/bushes are great for 98.9% of stuff

Hardcore setups get annoying pretty quickly around the city when you do alot of kms (which i do ).....205gtis are already very stiff and rattly

I really like the fact i have a car that handles as well as it does....and that i have no fear of bottoming out over gutters or driveways etc, i don't have to be careful, i don't have to baby it
    ________
    Harriet
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:43 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    pugjet:
    if i attempt burn outs , my pug shudders.
    Sounds like engine/gearbox mounts.

Dave

fiveohs:
    pugjet:
    if i attempt burn outs , my pug shudders.
    Sounds like engine/gearbox mounts.

Dave
    Or a cooked flywheel and clutch. But that wouldn't contribute to cornering problems. I've just replaced a clutch (inc. machine flywheel) and engine mounts in my 205. The total DIY parts bill was less than $400.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

... thanks, guys... prompt, as usual .

DTwo , yeah, you are spot on with the usual rattles and hard ride, of the 205 and i dont know if i could live with a "stiffer" set up. The suspension packages on the autofive website have given me an indication of what i would expect to pay, here in oz... ta. I better start phoning around.

Oh, fiveohs and PeterT , when i say my pug shudders, what i mean is that when i boot my pug hard enough, the front wheels seem to lose contact... this is when i hear/feel a "shudder"/vibration like effect around the front suspension... would this really be engine/gearbox mounts? eek! Or/and a cooked flywheel and clutch? eek! eek! .

As far as i know, my gearbox and clutch are healthy, so if you or anyone could offer more feedback, i'd be more than grateful blush

regards,

pugjet
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

pugjet:

... when i boot my pug hard enough, the front wheels seem to lose contact... this is when i hear/feel a "shudder"/vibration like effect around the front suspension...
    Yeah, again, i dont think i explained myself well enough. The shuddering/vibrating sensation felt and heard from the front suspension occurs only during:

high velocity tight cornering (the front wheels tend to let go easier than normally); and

prolonged wheelspin in first gear .

These are the only two situations where this shuddering/vibrating occurs.

I got a mechanic mate to check out my beloved "Chloe" this morning. He ruled out engine/gearbox mounts and a cooked flywheel and clutch! approve thank gurd.

He did say that i needed to seriously think about new suspension components (shocks, etc, etc) as theyve gone to suspension heaven.
    Senk que, again guys...

cheers! ,

pugjet

EDIT: i just noticed that i quoted myself... duh roll_lau mallet mallet

<small>[ 31 October 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: pugjet ]</small>
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

lol,

It's just a little axel tramp, need to get some tramp rods happening there

Remember you need to sort out these suspension mods quickly, the cruise is not too far off...and auto 504s are everywhere

<small>[ 31 October 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
    ________
    GONG BONG

ngek! roll_lau ... still, the 205 goes like the clappers ... the other day, i took an ebxr8... the series after the ea. I dropped the clutch at 5 thou and maulled him head_ban . We got to the next set of lights. He said that my car was all the rage in Italy and preceeded to ask me how many pounds i was running roll_lau mallet .

Btw, whats an axel tramp and tramp rods?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

"Axel tramp" is when tyres jump up and down or "bounce" during wheelspin.....the result is shuddering with varying degress of harshness

It's something that is far more prominent on cars with live axels and leaf springs, than otherwise.

"tramp rods" basically limit the travel of leaf springs, stops the wheel from "bouncing" against the springs during a loss of traction
    ________
    E-Cigarettes

Thread Information