205gti Gear linkage problems
  • Help

205gti Gear linkage problems

I have a 205gti(1987)and recently I have been experiencing problems with the gear-linkage. The linkage is very sloppy and has a hard time finding 3rd. When I tighten the linkage up the problem is amplified and itís even harder to engage third. Any guidance in this area would be appreciated.

Advertisement

I have found a quick shift kit from demon tweaks and wonder if anybody has used this and its effectiveness. It costs 80uk pounds so I would like to know if it works before spending the coin.
    cheers!

<small>[ 23 September 2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: neil 416 ]</small>
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Don't do it Neil. You are confusing two problems. Firstly, you need to replace the linkages. From memory they're approx. $25 ea. You have to do this anyway. Secondly, you need to modify the bell crank, by removing 12-15mm with a hacksaw, then reweld. Have a look at the 205GTi sites. I've seen at least two "how to do its".

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Changing the bellcrank only changes the amount of movement in the front to back direction and not across the gate.

There are also several other problmes that can occur with 205 gear linkages. The bellcrank can come loose on the cross member, just tighten. The bushes in the actual gear lever can wear also. You really need new rods, as the plastic cups in the rods that fit on the balls on the gear lever, gearbox and bellcrank break down due to heat and then work through the rest of the gear linkages and check for play.

If you want a modified bellcrank, email or ring me as we modify them.

Thanks for the replies. If I have to cut and weld parts Iím not really interested. The main problem I have is the pivot point (Iím assuming you call this the bellcrank?) there is a lot of movement in this area. I have tightened this up tight and also replaced the bushes but this has amplifies the problem and the movement is still present. When engaging 3rd the bellcrank is initially forced upwards and not in a lateral direction due to the play in the bellcrank. I have replaced a number of the gear linkages previously in an attempt to fix the problem. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Where the bolt passes through the bellcrank there is a section that is just swaged into the bellcrank (the bit that holds the plastic bushes) This can sometimes come loose and needs to be welded up. I have done this to a few bellcranks and it takes the play out of the bellcrank.

At the same time as repairing the bellcrank i can also make it into a quickshift.

Send me an email.

Thread Information