Where did my power go????
  • Register
  • Help
    Phasis

Where did my power go????

When I test drived my S16 before I bought it in December, I had no expectations because it was the only one I had driven. It seemed quite powerful compared to my 1985 Alfa Sprint, so I didnt question the performance.
    When I got it serviced in April, Peugeotcare noticed the power was off and tracked it down to the variable intake moniford system. The solenoid wasnt working and one of the diaphrams was perforated. These were replaced ($200)resulting in a substantial power increase, however this was not to last. Within 2 months the power seemed off again, with my limited mecanical prowess, I tracked it down to a broken vacume booster than conencts the vacume pump and inlet manifold to the brake booster and manifold diaphams.
    This part needed to come Ex-France. 3 weeks later it arived and was fitted,($50) and the system still did not work. **** ME!!!!

Advertisement

Afer some trouble shooting, it was discovered that the other diaphram was split, which also needed replacing.($100)
    So now, is all warking after 6 months of screwing around and arounf $400 of cost to replace paractically the whole system. But what really shits me is that it should all be covered under warranty, but seeing as it was staggered in its replacement, and the $100 excess, it was I wo payed, but the warranty company.

Anyway, thats my bitch about some troubles I have had....

------------------
    1995 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!
    Phasis,

That is the problem with variable this variable that
    It is all hell and swell when things are working fine 2Litre 16valve putting out around 116kw
    But it ads complication and things dont come
    cheap from peugeot
    But the 306 S16 is a great car

Murat

Tadpole

hi there ,

I have the same problem , my diaphragm was also broken , but I have another problem , and whould like to see if anyone can help me so I have the hose from the diaphragms going into the electro-valve ( solenoid) , but other than that nothing else goes into that ... what whould go into there ??? I guessed that a hose from the amplifier union from the vacum pump , but other than that what else ? couse the electrovalve , has 3 hose entrances so it remains one free ... please help

cheers

mircea

Wow, now there is a post to bring back memories. That was one of my first. I don't know why I was not logged in, but anyways back to the question. Excuse my bad language too

There should be a length of hose, the same as that connecting to the diaphrams, between the solenoid and a small bard on the vacume amplifier. If there is no barb, check that it hasn't snapped off as mine did a while ago. I think it was about $50AUD to replace though
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

It seems that most people with S16 have encountered the bodgy diaphragm or broken solenoid problem at one time or another. Mine had a dud diapragm after I picked up the car from the dealer in the first week. They stuffed around and couldnt find the problem until I took it to an authorised Pug dealer who diagnosed it correctly. Ended up with me spitting the dummy and getting it fixed by the pug dealer as the guys who sold it to me didnt want to cover it under warranty.

I was getting a real lag in response sometime ago between the 2500 and 3000 rpm mark some time ago and thought that the diaphragm or solenoid was starting to play up but I had a major service ($$$) done last week and that lag is gone...in fact it feels really responsive now
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

I was considering putting this very engine in my 205, but my mechanic mate didn't recommend it - for exactly this very problem... Vaccum diaphragms... Or ACAV as I think Peugeot call it... A great system when it's working.

Well, you've replaced everything, should be good for a while now...

Murat; output is actually 112kW (not 116kW!) or 155bhp if you like.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16

Murat; output is actually 112kW (not 116kW!) or 155bhp if you like.
    not bieng picky but 116 x 1.34 to convert = 155
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    not bieng picky but 116 x 1.34 to convert = 155
    116kW the french call 160bhp
    112kW the french call 155bhp
    108kW the french call 150bhp (or sometimes 148bhp)
    88kW the french call 122bhp
    75kW the french call 105bhp

1.9 GTI 'DFZ' Australia / 1.6 GTI = 75kW
    1.9 GTI 'DKZ' Australia = 88kW
    1.9 Mi16 'DFW' Australia = 108 kW
    2.0 Mi16 'RFY' (306 S16) Australia = 112 kW
    1.9 Mi16 'D6C' UK/France = 116kW

1 bhp = 0.75 kW - roughly... Depends on whether using SAE, DIN or EEC standards... Sometimes 0.73, sometimes 0.74...

There you go - all off the top of my head...

I've never really worried to much about differing rating, I've seen stats from 110kw to 116 kw for the S16 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I've never really worried to much about differing rating, I've seen stats from 110kw to 116 kw for the S16 engine.
    Hi Brad,

Well, take my previous post as THE BIBLE... I mean that seriously...

Tadpole

Icon5

But returning to the question , I learned that the solenoid has the folowing hoses attached to it ... so far ... one to the diaphragms , one to the vacuum amplifier ... but it has one more "hose connector" going into it ( a total of three ... 2 in the front side (headlight side) , and one in the back side next to the connector coming from the ecu ... ) , how is the setup completed , where and from where should the third hose go ??

thanks ...

mircea

Tadpole

Icon10

Anyone some solutions for my problem , please ??

thanks

mircea

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    The OCT94 & MAR95 Australian 306 spec sheets by Inchcape rate the S16 at (DIN) 116kW @ 6500 rpm & 193Nm @ 3500rpm. These are also on the five panel 306 range pamphlet (DEC94). I've scanned the main spec sheet and attached it to this post (all those people that though I only have have a Volvo library, hah, there's a froggy one too ).

The OCT94 Automobiles Peugeot International English brochure quotes 111.6kW/155HP @ 6500 rpm. This is for the XU10J4/LZ. 0-100km/h in 9.2s, max speed 215km/h. Generally 1HP = 0.7457kW (DIN). So in this case, 155 x 0.7457 = 115.58. The brochure says that the car makes 111.6kW (EEC). The only EEC I know of was the European Economic Community, not sure about the EEC definition of kW.

They're still not consistent with the specs. Magically, in the past 4 years, the 1.6 16V TU5JP4 has lost 2kW but somehow still has the same 110HP.

Ditto for the EW10J4 2.0 16V. 102kW is now 100kW, but hey, there's still 138 trusty horses somewhere up front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where did my power go????-p306au95specs1.jpg  

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Tadpole

Icon5

So , I made here a sketch of the electrovalve that is in my s16 , and want to know , what get's connected into this , so I figured out with your help so far that into "1" goes the inlet vacuum diaphragms ( the little black domes from the top of the inlet manifold ) , into "2" goes a hose from a vacuum amplifier unit that connects the "vacum pump - inlet manifold - servo brake " also , but CAN'T figure out what the hell goes into "3" ... please someone help me , "3" is situated at the connector side ( the connector that comes from ecu ) ...

someone ??

thanks in advance ...

mircea
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fellow Frogger!

The third one stays empty, and please dont tell me you bought an original pug electrovalve.

Cheers

Tadpole

Icon10

hehe , yupii thanks ... as soon as my part comes i'll put it together exactly like that..

nope , I haven't bought an original pug electrovalve but an original "vacuum amplifier unit" , couse mine was broken ...

why shouldn't I buy a original pug electrovalve ?? are bad or what ?? or is there an equivalent from an other car ?

mircea

I think you can only use a genuine vacume booster, however I beleve any electronically controlled solenoid will work for the electrovalve. I will have a look at the part next time I'm driving the car and will let you know.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lemnarm

why shouldn't I buy a original pug electrovalve ?? are bad or what ?? or is there an equivalent from an other car ?

mircea

Nothing wrong with the original parts but at something like $80+ i wouldnt bother specially when you can go to the wreckers and get a few for free

Thread Information