how do i clean this part
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

how do i clean this part

Hi all,

on the weekend i took off the air intake thing(manifold?) on my 98 306 Xsi. I just unclipped all the wiring and took off the pipes. I found there was alot of red dirt inside, like the stuff you see in the outback or on farms. The pervious owner was a farmer so i wasn't suprised to see the red dirt, but was suprised to see alot of it inside(mixed with oil)! There is a pipe that goes from this unit to the engine head, this was full of the red dirt too! i was wondering how i would clean inside the engine part? I've cleaned the pipes and the intake with some carby cleaner(lots of it), i was wondering how i would clean inside the part on the engine block the pipe goes to. Anyone know what this is called and the purpose of this hose?I remember somebody mentioning this being the oil breather hose?

Advertisement

Could i spray some carby cleaner inside? but where would it go or would it stay in there?

thanks

Joey

Fellow Frogger!
    No no no no no please don't spray the carby cleaner into the hose that goes into the engine block!

It will mix into your engine oil and this is not a good thing.

The oil in your intake system is just from the oil breather hose. The crankcase needs to breathe, and it is against emissions laws to allow the crankcase to breathe to atmosphere - that's why it is returned into the inlet tract so it gets burnt in the combustion process.

Hmm I'm surprised there's dust in that hose.

If it is easy to remove the entire breather hose, take it off and see if there's dust at the engine end. If there isn't a filter or anything, and there's dust there, I'd check with a Peugeot mechanic to make sure everything's in place and if there's anything wrong.

Cheers
    Adrian

Fellow Frogger!
    Adrian,

I did take the breather hose off and spray it clean (and let dry) before fitting it back on. There was the red dirt inside the engine inlet mixed with oil. I cleaned that out with a rag, and no i didn't spray anything inside. I wonder if this has anything to do with the funny idling, and the engine cutting out sometimes. But the car was running fine when i first bought it and i've changed the idle control steppermotor which made no difference. I need to make some time so i can take it to the pug dealer in parra.

Thanks

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Pugsly

I'm not sure if I've comprehended your post properly - but here are some things that would be cause for alarm:

1. Red dust after the filter section of the inlet piping. Dust and a little oil from the breather hose before the filter section is fine.

2. Red dust in the throttle body.

3. Dust in any rubber hoses that go into the engine block.

Hope this helps!

Fellow Frogger!
    number 3. It's not rust, it's deffinitely dirt mixed with oil.

Fellow Frogger!
    Damn. A filter or something must be out of place.

Off to the dealer I guess!

Thread Information