309 rear subframe into a 205 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

309 rear subframe into a 205 GTi

Hi all,

I have an 87 205GTi with the 2 front disc, 2 rear drum set up. I have thought about putting a series 2 205 GTi subframe under the rear end of my car(for the discs), and have heard a 309 subframe fits and has a slightly wider rear track than the 205.

Can anyone suggest if this is a bolt up application and if it fits?...and what are the chances of scoring a 309 rear end in Oz or would this be an import jobbie?

Any info appreciated.

Chipper

Advertisement

i think you'll eve have trouble finding the 205 rear subframe, no chance at all of finding a 309 one, only 6 or 8 were ever imported (privately) apparently.
    if you do go searching for the parts and come across a series 2 205 being wrecked please let me know, a friend in europe is after someair con bits.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmmmm, an interesting proposition !

I attached a complete rear suspension, torsion bars, disc brakes the lot from a 405 SRI replacing the piddly drums on my car which used to be an SR !!

We have plenty of these in NZ if you want the complete rear assembly, let me know I will hook you up.. Ps stay with 205 parts !

jr
    all that sweat and tears[and money] just to get discs on the rear. brendon, as most of the breaking 80% approx is done on the front brakes why not spend your hard earned dosh on upgrading the fronts, either aftermarket or with 306gti6 rotors hubs etc..it keeps it peugeot too!!

------------------

309 parts are hard to come by

Trust me... i gotta hunch

and dont even think about lookin for anything to do with panels

although doors are the same
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

Fellow Frogger!
    Andreas,

Cheers, I know of 1 205 GTi that is awaiting its fate in a wrecker in Brisbane, they are not sure whether to wreck or sell, not sure on the series.Will keep you posted.

BTW, what A/C parts is your mate after?

James,

Yeah, I think I will keep it stock.If it aint broke i suppose....

jr,

Excellent, launches me into my next question perfectly.

I have the 1.9 engine and driveshafts. From my understanding, a 306,405 Mi-16 and a series 2 205 all share a common front disc, while the series 1 has a smaller front disc.

Can anyone tell me if these larger diameter disc are a straight swap over, and will I be able to retain the front calipers, or will these need upgrading, and are all the mounting points the same.

I understand most of the braking force comes from the fronts, and my brakes currently feel like I have 2 slabs of wood between the calipers so this is probably a better option.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Chipper

Chipper, I know there's a 205 bound for the brisbane wrecker
    not sure what it is either, as long as it's got the new dash it should have aircon and my friend needs the heater unit and all wiring.
    so if you hear anything before i do let me know

discs are probably a straight swap but i think you'll need the calipers aswell, and if they're the GTi-6 brakes you'll need 15" wheels if you havent already got them and even then they're a very tight squeeze.

btw if you're serious about the 309 rear subframe i can get you a quote from a UK wrecker, but i too think it's better to spend it on the front.

Fellow Frogger!
    Andreas,

Thanks again for that.

GTI6 rotors..Mmmmm. I hope to purchase new discs soon, and keep them aside for when I get larger rims, 16's if possible, so they should fit I guess.

I think I will make do with the original rear drum set up.

Thanks for all replys on that.

Chipper

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper
    Andreas,

Thanks again for that.

GTI6 rotors..Mmmmm. I hope to purchase new discs soon, and keep them aside for when I get larger rims, 16's if possible, so they should fit I guess.

I think I will make do with the original rear drum set up.

Thanks for all replys on that.

Chipper
    One more reply if it is of interest, yes the 309 rear end fits straight in, track is wider (30mm or so roughly) and also larger (stiffer) torsion bars (and anti-roll I think).

All of that makes it a good swap for a track / club car.

You will just need the 205 disc brake handbrake cables, the 309 ones are too long due to the longer wheelbase. Can be shortend though.

sounds like the ultra mod then dont it... wider track is always welcomed.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information