BA7 into 403
  • Help

Thread: BA7 into 403

BA7 into 403

My 403's gearbox is just about stuffed. That also goes for the diff.
    I have a '69 404 with a stuffed body and a supposedly good box and diff. Is there any problem in fitting these into the 403? Can I use the cable clutch from the 403? Will the different ratio mess up the speedo reading much and is there anything I can do to fix it?
    Any thoughts appreciated .

Advertisement
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Pugnut,

There is a Pink 403 sitting at the New Norfolk tip...used to be one of Alan Robertsons, it's a 60 model...he said the box and diff were very very nice in that car...just the last owner was too stupid to restore the car..

Also there are a couple of other 403 wrecks going begging around the place..and I am sure Alan would have some more boxes out at his place!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Hare on down to the tip and get that stuff... for the following reasons...

1. gearlinkages will be a headache to sort out.

2. torque tube won't bolt to the diff, the bolt pattern was enlarged in 1964/5.

3. axle tubes won't bolt to diff housing, though if yours is a 403B the 404 axle tubes will bolt in, but then you have some adaptation do do with the radius rods.

4. bellhousing... yes, the bellhousing... the BA7 didn't attach to any of those engines ex-factory, so you have to do a cut an shut with a bellhousing. I've seen it done the other way round (504 engine into 203), so it's possible.

5. clutch operation... not impossible, but again a lot of adaptation to instal a slave cylinder mount.

Now, while you're at the tip, if you find some early 403 axle tubes, just shoot them up to me, okay?

At least one thing you don't have to worry about... the speedo drive will be right, it's matched to that diff...

Before you start wondering why I mentioned the torque tube, the 403 and 404 have different length tubes.

A cut and shut is not hard if you're determined to go ahead with this... some of the other stuff is difficult, however...

Then again, you may have to change the tail shaft too... and again it will require a cut and shut. Both the spline at the front end (not sure when that changed...) and the shaft diameter are different.

If you go this route, remember the centre bearing, both for diameter and position in the torque tube...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    hearing about a 403 at a tip nearly brings a tear to my eye
    go and grab it form there if you have the room to store it
    these cars are just too good to let rot away and if they are rotting them the parts will always be useful
    parts are always needed
    it's not like you can jsut go down the road and buy bits over the counter any more for these cars
    15 years ago you could but not now
    anyone found a 403 wagon sitting around anywhere ????
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

VIP Sponsor
    I can fix you up with a gear box and diff, which model is your 403?
    I am in Melbourne.
    If you find a way of fitting a BA7 to 403 let us know! I have seen it done in a 203 (adaptor plate between engine and gearbox) but clutch operation would be more difficult in the 403.
    You would need to use a 1968 model 404 flywheel so that the 403 starter could be used, 1969 and on had different ring gear.
    I have a 404 diff in my 403, this also allows a rear anti roll bar to be easily fitted. I had the rear of a 404 torque tube welded to the front of the 403 tube.
    Graham Wallis

Graham... with an early 404 flywheel on the 403 engine, the only issue is clutch actuation. And that could be arranged.

To adapt the engine to the box, spin one bellhousing up in a lathe and cut it off leaving a spigot at some predetermined point. Then spin up the other and cut a corresponding counterbore...

This works, I've seen it done... just weld them together.

Thread Information