R12 Virage - FASTER FASTER!!!
  • Help
    Tadpole

R12 Virage - FASTER FASTER!!!

Hi,

A few years ago, I was getting my Pug serviced and the mechanic (Fyshwick, ACT) gave me a courtesy car. It was a aqua blue R12 and went like the clappers!

I am now looking for a stock standard R12 Virage, and wanted to ask who can tell me what kind of mods/expenses I ought to prepare for to make my R12 go fast, stick to the road and sound good.

Any general and / or specific advice appreciated...

Advertisement

Thanks,

JR a_drink
    "Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things"

AllezPug:
    what kind of mods/expenses I ought to prepare for to make my R12 go fast, stick to the road and sound good.:
    R17 swaybars are a good idea
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Find a rusty 17 with good mechanicals (if you can) and bolt all the good bits in.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

R17 Sway bars will help to keep it a bit flatter round bends.

Find a good R17 motor and drop that in it.
    1,3/4" exhaust or 2" might make it sound decent.
    I'm not to sure if Extractors on these engines do a great deal, but might be worth thinking about.

and yea..
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Administrator
    If i could also suggest that you put in a firmer set of rear springs. Under hard acceleration with a R17 engine, you get a really good view of the bonnet through the windscreen and a close up of asphalt in the rear view mirror (It's a strange sight in a rear view mirror to see a R12/R18 launching hard.....Kind of looks like its about to eat your car!!!)

1000+ Posts
    That was the best thing the Nissan Pathfinder springs I put on the back of mine did...stopped the nose up attitude on take off.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

on another note...couple of days ago i saw a 70 year old lady seemingly trying to race everybody with her beige r12... i followed her from a distance and was surprised how well the 12 took of the lights...i finnally lined up with her at the napean highway intersection (me in my jeep)...she gave me the glare and literally started rewing the car for a drag (some guy pissed her of badly when he cut her of few miles back)...anyway (laughing inside myself) i though i d let her launch of first...and boy she did...made 15 meters on my jeep before i knew what hit me...i finnally planted the gas on the jeep caught up and passed her rather quickly....i can still see the anger in her eyes....geezzz the old folks can hold a grudge...(and i was just a spctator)...still it was very funny...all she needed was a roll cage and some driving gloves...

cheers
    dino

Thread Information