Advance Driving Course=Performance Increase!!
  • Help

Advance Driving Course=Performance Increase!!

Yesterday i finished my 2 Day advance driving course with Ian Luff, doing Stage1 and Stage3, and its is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!, i learnt more and gained som much experiance, and coz it was wet it made for some very interesting driving and skill development, that you just can't do in the dry.
    Stage 1 is good, and any one who just got a license, or is worried about a relative who is unexperianced, or you want to try and break bad habits, this is a great first leasson and lots of fun. Just take some food, Nerallen isn't the best fed town ive ever seen....lol.
    STAGE 3!!!!Yeah baby!!! mallet it was raining the whole day eek! and my instructor was Warren Luff (some of you might know that he can pedal a car pretty well, and used to race (very well) a XR 306).
    Luffy liked my little machine, but down the straight i was just tipping 175Km/h, not slow or fast, as some of the Big Power machines on the day were getting over 200k's and breaking a little earlier...
    They do lots of in-car training and you are also free to lap around on your own. But if you own a standard car they ask you keep to 5 laps or less, so as you dont cook anything, specially brakes.
    A S2000 owner put it in The Kitty Litter 1/2 a meter deep out of the Dog-Leg and stopped 3 meters short of the tyre wall on Auto-tek corner, for those who know its easy to do, especially in a S2000 and in the WET!! Tractor please?!
    At the end of the day you do 3-Lap Timmed trials and are seperated in groups of 3, they then compare and see how fast and mainly how CONSISTENT you are.
    My first lap i made a mistake, and in the S's didn't prepare to compensate for the wet track and a HOT sun just popping out and the extra fuel i addedd when i went out before the trials.!!! I lost 2.6 seconds recovering from a little sideways movement.
    I managed to do two laps in the 64 seconds, thats a 1:04,.... so, Luffy said you take off about 10 seconds and thats about what time you would get if you had the same car in the dry. So a 54 second lap on the short course of Oran Park is considered quite good for a road car.
    At the end of the day you do a DEMONSTRATION handi-cap race, i started Second Last, (according to Luffy the Faster guys go last and the slower guys out front). I whent from second last to 4th, and the Fastest car of the day came 3rd, which was a full GTP 323 BMW, on racing rubber and pads, plus that C16 fuel smells good too. You get 6 laps to do your best.
    I had a ball head_ban mallet a_drink and want to do it again, i really want to got to the Drive day too...
    Xq

Advertisement

PS, i recommend this to ANYONE, trust me you will be bushed and so glad you did.
    PSS, my first times on the day were about 1:12's, so i improved by over 8 seconds on the day which as you most know is alot.
    PSSS, It feels so good to get a good run out of the Dog-leg into Auto-Tek corner and take a GTS Monaro down the straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! frog power, it was the AF sticker!!

<small>[ 13 March 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

Tadpole
    agreed. the best performance mod is raising one's driving skill. sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    clover green pearl <a href="http://ej8.anfrey.com" target="_blank">ej8</a> <a href="http://cgp.anfrey.com" target="_blank"></a> - gris aluminium <a href="http://xsara2shiny.anfrey.com" target="_blank">xsara vtr</a> <a href="http://xsara2.anfrey.com" target="_blank"></a>
    <a href="http://www.frioseg.cl/~anfrey/forums/civic-fullsize.jpg" target="_blank"></a> <a href="http://www.frioseg.cl/~anfrey/forums/xsara2-fullsize.jpg" target="_blank"></a>
    'set the gearshift to the high gear of your soul...'

XTC
    Sounds like a ton of fun - just don't go telling your insurance dead company, heard stories of them increasing disappro someones premium cause they now figure you're a greater risk on the road. Guess like all insurance companies they are indiscriminate discriminators ... 2_cents

PS: any pictures question
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts
    XTC206,

Welcome to Aussiefrogs! How did you find us?

NRMA Insurance actually encourages drivers to do the 'Smart Drive' courses from Ian Luff.

Derek.

nJm
    Yes, I thought most insurance companies encouraged people to do advance driver training courses. I know that if I do the one my parent's AAMI policy includes for their children under the age of 25, it will actually lower my premium if I crash their car, and helps with my rating?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

You get 10% off - which is equivalent to going up a rating.

Pretty simple course too. You'll discover why ABS is a great thing

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    So it is worth the $0.00 they charge?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The AAMI course is alright for how much you pay... I did it 3 years ago, back then the main points they pushed across were the 2 second gap and basically how speed affects handling.

If I remember correctly, there were 3 "courses". One was weaving through witches hats to get a feel for my car's handling and it's limitations (I'm sure you've already got a feel for this though... ), the second course was a sweeping bend that we took at different speeds, again to show us our car's limitations, and the third was witches hats set up to simulate a truck suddenly stopping. We would travel at different speeds towards the "truck" and the instructor would yell out when the "truck" supposedly braked, and we'd have to slam on the brakes and turn to avoid it... this showed the importance of a 2 second gap. I guess ABS would have been handy, although I think I did reasonably well in the XF Falcon wagon... The bodyroll through the witches hats was quite fun at the time!

Another thing, we went in groups of three so when I wasn't driving, I went along in the cars of 2 other people with the instructor when they went through each course. This was so we tested our cars when they were typically loaded. It was a case of hang on for dear life when we lost control in an old Volvo driven by one girl, and ran off the course into a dirt drain... eek! Everyone was impressed with her brakes though...

It was the first driver training I'd ever done, and it did teach me a few things so it is good for new drivers. If anything, it would be a good chance to show off your Pug's handling to few unsuspecting people.

In regards to increasing your rating, I don't really know, I mentioned having done the course to AAMI when I got insurance and they didn't say anything about it. It only reduces your premium if you get Comprehensive insurance, my premium would have been something like $2500 instead of $3500... eek! eek! It didn't count towards the 3rd party fire & theft I have now.

Cheers,
    Richard

<small>[ 25 March 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: silverexec ]</small>
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information