205 exhausts
  • Help

Thread: 205 exhausts

205 exhausts

Wondering if anybody knows the best configuration of exhaust systems to create the best performance out of a 1.9L 205 GTi. should i stick on something like a full 2" through with a performance mufler or do i need something else for a little better performance i.e. right back pressure for engine + beasty sound a_drink

Advertisement

Depends on how many revs you use. If it's stock, leave it stock. You can't beat the std. system. Otherwise use 2.25" pipes and mufflers, BUT with a 2" tailpipe.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

does this create a similar performance to the standard pipe system? and i do not consider myself a "boy racer" but i do like to take the zippy beast on drives occaisionally, through twisty roads. and i do like to drive quickly but i never stress the enging too much. i.e. i never redline it

Thanks for the info. If I do mod the exhaust i will take your advice, but i may not...thanks

P.S. I've never known a front-wheel-drive car to loose the back end when you go into a corner too quick and on the throttle and then back off. when this happened the other day under the Gladesville bridge (the 60-70 km/h sweeper from Lane cove to Gladesville... If you haven't ever done it you must as it's accentuated camber aids the "slingshot" out of the corner) it surprised me as when i went in too hot it didn't really understeer too much, then when i backed off the back-end wanted to step out, similar to a porshe... i've done that too! Thankfully not too serious and a simple shake of the bum and i was out of there!

i think peter has HIT THE NAIL ON THE head with his recomendation as i have an almost exact set up on my 205...i m not saying that thats what u should do (horses for courses) but i must admit i m very happy with that set up....although i m running minus cat at the moment (dont tell anybody)it was a huge improvement but obviously strictly ILLEGAl....i was going twin 45s at one stage but abandoned the idea in favour of supercharging....volumetric efficiency in the gti is EXCELLENT for factory head so its flow and efficiency can suffer quite badly if you and up with a system thats 2 big....

cheers
    dino

I think the standard Series One exhaust is complete junk. That's an exaggeration. In the power steering later cars I have no idea. In an early car however, headers are fine but on the way down to the cat, the system narrows to about 1 1/2 inches in and out of it. Just whack in a 2 1/4 inch cat (or get the ends of the old one cut off so that entry and exit are the same width and continue this greater width through. I agree with Peter that the tail pipe is probably best at 2" . However if the car has a standard engine, I wouldn't worry about wasting a cent on the exhaust at all, especially as it is likely rusty and leaky. You can buy some stupidly priced Remus or the like if you like the sound, but there are cheaper ways to achieve this.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information