Peugeot 505 ZDJL turbo
  • Help
    Gus

Peugeot 505 ZDJL turbo

I've always gone on the vague information I heard that the ZDJL peugeot engine (505 STI) was considered "not tough enough" to turbo and that is why Peugeot went with the Chrysler(?) unit for the 505 Turbo.

Recently I had it pointed out to me that this engine was turbo-ed, in the Renault 21 Turbo, and that there is a rumour that Peugeot only refrained from turbo-ing it because they didn't want to give Renault the technology(!!!) (or maybe vice versa as it was Renault's engine?)

Advertisement

Anyhow, I now have a 505 STI engine that runs perfectly sitting in my old 505.

So I'm thinking... with some DIY injection gear (Megasquirt?), some machining of an exhaust manifold and making up of other bits and pieces, retarded timing and a lot of cooling gear... could this engine be turboed?

(Maybe it'd be cheaper to just import a whole R21 Turbo head from the US/Europe )

What do people think? Granted, this car doesn't have the sodium cooled exhaust valves or beefy oil pump of the R21 Turbo but no doubt with some well thought out cooling gear (oil cooler, nice big radiator, big intercooler and some well-thought-out airflow arrangements and fans) you could make a set-up which didn't shorten the life of the engine too drastically.

I'm not talking about a 300kW tire-churning 18 psi rice machine, just something a little different...

... after all, in NA form those engines go forever... right?

Fellow Frogger!
    Gus,

Yeah, these engine should work fine for road going sub-15psi turbo cars, ala the 21 turbo.

The main reason Peugeot went for the Chrysler unit seems to have been to homologate it for certain forms of motorsport where they could use 25psi++, and a one piece cast iron block is very handy for that.

Something simpler and maybe more interesting than a turbo would be to stick a modified 12V Renault head on it and your own injection (i.e. Megasquirt). 160hp and 200Nm should be easy enough achieved this way, and you wouldn't need an enginieers certificate because it would look very standardish under the bonnet (i.e. naturally aspirated fuel injected engine with a 505 engine number).

I'm not sure how hard it would be to import a 12V head, but it may well be worth enquiring into.

Dave

Gus
    The 12v head is a R21 or 22, right?

Sounds interesting. I will look into it (part of the reason I was keen on forced air is I've always had an interest in cooling systems, and I'm imagining that adding sufficient cooling to a 505 STI Turbo would be a good challenge.)

Fellow Frogger!
    Gus:
    The 12v head is a R21 or 22, right?

Sounds interesting. I will look into it (part of the reason I was keen on forced air is I've always had an interest in cooling systems, and I'm imagining that adding sufficient cooling to a 505 STI Turbo would be a good challenge.)
    The 12V head is fitted to the Renault 21 TXI.

intersting... me thinks i need to do a lot more reading.. The backward compatibility in european engines are just full of suprises arnt they..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!
    Here's a page with some specs of the Renault 21 TXI:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/9396/r21/tech21a.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/9396/r21/tech21a.htm</a>

136hp from a standard 1995cc 12V engine isn't bad at all.

Dave

Thread Information