504 heads
  • Help

Thread: 504 heads

504 heads

Hi all technical gurus, I am about to have a late model 504 square ported head reconditioned. The enginer wants to know what the original dimensions were to see whether or not it can be skimmed. Haynes doesnt have any data. Does anyone know the truth?? Could you let me know asap. Any other tips clues or advice appreciated. I intend to use it on my 404 (early 504 2 litre engine) with a matched Weber for the redex rerun. The existing arrangement works well but a little more power would be nice. regards Greg Summerhayes

Advertisement

Greg... if I'm not mistaken, the workshop manual should have a factory dimension for the head... I think it's around 90mm. But whatever the figure is, the manual, I'm pretty sure, tells you about it somewhere.

Dave McBean's site might have the info for you anyway.

VIP Sponsor
    Greg,
    Get hardened exhaust inserts fitted while you're at it, LRP has started to dissapear and I am fairly certain only the 505 heads came with hard inserts as standard.

Graham Wallis

Thanks for the advice. ray could you give me an address for dave mc beans site please

It's in his profile... but seeing as I had to check, here it is:

<a href="http://davemcbean@yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">davemcbean@yahoo.com.au</a>

This is a quote from my website:

"The standard head is approximately 92.5mm thick (+/- 0.15mm) and the face is not supposed to be machined more than about 0.5mm, however more can be machined off the head provided that the pushrods are shortened by a similar amount and piston to valve clearance is taken into account."

My website is:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html?997061496590" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html?997061496590</a>

The page with info on thses engines is:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/Xengines.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/Xengines.html</a>

Regards,
    Dave

<small>[ 07 March 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Whoops... e.mail address isn't a website, is it?

Sorry about that.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi, the figure if .5mm off the standard is very conservative. As Dave says you can go further.

You shouldn't need to do anything about the valve clearance 'til you're down near 91mm.

If you are building a motor and want to bring up the compression ratio or just have a thin head, you can relieve the pistons atad where the inlet valves would hit, just a careful little brush with an angle grinder or similar tool.

This may be off topic, but what is the feasibility of putting the 4-branch-inlet head off an '89 XN1'A' engine onto an earlier (like 1971 year) block ?. Any known issues mixing 2 litre XN1 heads & blocks ?

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Jason, I'm pretty sure all the 2 litre heads are interchangeable although I have no direct experience with the sli head. Certainly XNA heads such as the early 505s go straight on and give improvements due to the square port etc.

Cheers

Jim

Jason Morris:
    This may be off topic, but what is the feasibility of putting the 4-branch-inlet head off an '89 XN1'A' engine onto an earlier (like 1971 year) block ?. Any known issues mixing 2 litre XN1 heads & blocks ?
    Jason,

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

According to the 505 workshop manual you should use the later throw away head bolts if you use the XN1A head, but I can't see any reason why that would be necessary (unless the head is a different thickness, necessitating different length bolts). Personally, I think it's just a ploy to make extra money by selling lots of bolts.

Dave

<small>[ 02 April 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The PUG404 Autobook Manual states min height to be 91.5mm on the 404. I've personaly used an early 504 (1974) planed to 91mm with a cam ground by Wade Cams (25-65) with no problems apart from pinging under load if I used more than about 10 degrees of spark advance. If you were to us later model pistons (late 504-505) wich give higher Comp you would probably need an extra gasket, (spacer) which were availible from Reno spares. If these are not obtainable Grahame Wallace once mentioned he knows where to get them made. I've just had an early 504 head done up with hardend Ex seat's $105, Ex valves $100, Weld up weak spots and plane $96.

Thread Information