head mods
  • Help

Thread: head mods

head mods

I would like to know What you can do to 504 head to improve performance, without spending a fortune,and where is the best place to get performance head work done in victoria.
    regards to all Pete

Advertisement

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

PCOATES505:
    I would like to know What you can do to 504 head to improve performance, without spending a fortune,and where is the best place to get performance head work done in victoria.
    regards to all Pete
    I don't know who's the best for a Peugeot head,
    I've had good experiences with previous headwork at "Datrally" though.

Datrally - 9584 7373

They are not the cheapest around, but do a good job....well worth a call.
    ________
    AVANDIA CLASS ACTION
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:37 AM.

VIP Sponsor
    Peter,
    I've yet to see any head mods to an early Peugeot which have made any improvement, except when they included a set of DCOEs!
    I got a head done by expert Eddie Woods for a 504 Ti. The flow rate was actually reduced except for valve openings greater than 350 thou.
    When questioned on this Eddie said "Yeah, some standard heads flow pretty well".

Put on a square port head from a 505, the car will then run on unleaded and have a fair bit more torque, a Wade 240 cam would then be worth trying.
    My 404 has a standard 505 engine with early Solex carb and it goes very well. Apart from a very fast 504 AUTO that Ian Robinson put together (with Bert Jones cam mentioned recently on this forum) I have not seen a car go better with a downdraft Weber than the Solex. I replaced a Weber on a 504 engine recently and the car was transformed.
    Yes, The Weber is a better carby but the Solex was set up at great expense by the manufacturer to suit the car. If you want to try a Weber get a DCD which is fully adjustable.

Graham Wallis

DTwo:

Datrally - 9584 7373

I can also recommend them for dyno tuning, dropped my car off two hours ago
    They're now known as Powerplay Automotive.

Andreas

Andreas:
    DTwo:

Datrally - 9584 7373

I can also recommend them for dyno tuning, dropped my car off two hours ago
    They're now known as Powerplay Automotive.

Andreas
    lol, well it has been a while
    ________
    California Dispensary
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:37 AM.

I have to agree with Graham. Alot of head "experts" go everboard on the TI head and stuff it up. The ports should be left rough and standard size and all that really needs doing is removing the sharp edge at the transition between the port and the valve seat.

The square port head is much the same (ports should be left as is), except that it's a good idea to fix up the transition between the manifold and the ports, by filing each a bit, so that you don't have that sharp corner where the manifold meets ports 2 and 3. With a Wade 112 cam (slightly more overlap and lift than TI cam) the square port head engines go very nice indeed.

As Graham indicated, on a standard engine, a good early 504 Solex goes as well as or sometimes better than a Weber, but the problem is it's very hard to find a good Solex anymore (most are worn beyond repair), and once you modify the cam, compression, etc, you really need to change the jetting to suit the new specs, and not many places stock Solex jets. You can use special drills which come in 0.01mm sizes to drill them out to suit, but with a Weber you don't need to, because every part imaginable is available for them.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like we'll leave the head standard, get "wade" to do us a good cam, and have a fiddle with the jets in the solex.

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Thread Information