405 peugeot brakes
  • Help
    Tadpole

405 peugeot brakes

Seeking info on testing and adjusting position of brake pressure regulator valve on 1989 405 estate. Regulator is chassis mounted load sensing type. Calipers are Girling and system is not ABS. Also any ideas about difficulty winding rear caliper pistons back in after bleeding. Is this due to trapped air in cylinder or build up of pressure btween inside of piston thread and handbrake plunger screw? Relief vents in outside circumference of pistons seem to be venting ok.

Advertisement

The calipers need to wound back in with a special tool. I made one from an old socket, to which I welded some pins. It's far easier to wind the pistons back with thecalipers on the bench, and no fluid in them. Once you've got them wound back, use a syringe to insert as much fluid as possible, then screw the hoses back on.
    The key to bleeding them easliy lies in the bias valve you spoke of. I can't recall whether it's best to have the car level, or with the right rear raised (wheel hanging), to simulate heavy braking. Most likely the later.

Have Fun.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole
    Thanks Peter T. I did as you described(having made my own special tool) and then did the bleeding procedure with the caliper removed from the disc and 20mm blocks of wood between caliper arm and piston as described in the Haynes manual. Not a pleasent task on my back winding the piston back in under the car as it would frequently turn freely enough but not travel in wards after about half way in. I finally suceeded after much frustration. Yes Peter you are correct, bleeding is done with right suspension arm raised on jack to open up regulating valve. Problem now is lack of balance between front and rear brakes hence query re adjustment of regulator valve. Car tends to nose dive when comming to a stop. Have not had car long so maybe this is normal behaviour?

Thread Information