Performance upgrade for me 306xsi
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Performance upgrade for me 306xsi

Hi I'm wanting to have my pug go a little quicker and merform 'nicer' in the engine. I'm having the car lowered a tad and was wondering what should be my first mods i do to make it quicker and not so sticky in certain areas of the gear ratios. it lags a bit going up the hills - and i have to chuck it down usually do fifth and sometimes to 3 and even then the pick up aint that clash. bearing in mind im not wanting to spend a fortune on this! cheers lads and lassies.

Advertisement

Hi Blakeynz, welcome to Aussiefrogs.

I guess you have to start looking at what mods give you what increases for what cost.

To start off with I guess you can look at a cold-air intake system like the 57i K&N system. I got a very similar one custom made. Say around $100-$150 for 'about' 5kw at best.

A higher flow exhaust could potential give you another few kw, but the standard pug systems are good already. Say around $500 for a nice rear muffler and larger diameter pipe.

After these tho mods, you really have to start planning them. Chips can do some good, (10%) but poitless if you intend to do some future intake/exhust mods as the chip would need to be remapped. You should be able to get a Uni-chip for around $7-800.

I researched porting the head of my XU10J4, where a 10-15% torque increase could be had across the whole rev range for around $1500, including new gaskets, and all labor and freight. You would be wise to look at getting oversized intake valves (10% larger) at the same time to gain another 8-10% power, but only really higher up in the rev range. New valeves were $66 a peice, x8 is $528.

Unfortunatly there is no cheap way to get more power...like they say you get what you pay for.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    wow thats certainly put my mind into third as to what can be achieved cheers. and thanks for the welcome your the first person to have written a reply. im also looking at getting springs installed.a friend of mine who works in wholesale car parts was on the lookout for some springs for me but as of yet cant find any in nz so he suggested i might want to get them compressed. what do u think? im thinking firstly of an air filter and then getting the exhaust done. luckily i have a few friends who are in the business and can get me some great deals. im looking for a window regulator for my pug 3 door. in nz it will cost me 850 to get one but at pugspares in england it will be 65 pound however im not sure if the part will be right even though they say it is the right part for a 94 which is what mine is. is it true that peugeot dont put part numbers on their parts? Thanks heaps.

Fellow Frogger!
    in regards to part numbers..

I went to the pug dealer here in syd aust looking to get a purge valve. Only one part number came up on their system, they gave me the corresponding part and it was the wrong one! They eventually found the right one which had the same part number BUT it was a different size and colour, brand!

Fellow Frogger!
    it seems crazy that car manufacturers dont put part numbers on their parts. needle in a hay stack mean anything esp when there are cars with a cross over year huh. im getting a window regulator from england - a lot cheaper than nz but still might not be the right one, ive got a return option though which is cool.

I think <a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk" target="_blank">www.pumaracing.co.uk</a> gives an excellent idea about the value of all kinds of mods. This is a great site.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information