309gti Head
  • Help

Thread: 309gti Head

309gti Head

Anyone,

I'm getting an 88' 309gti head (130hp) from the UK, to fit on my 89 205gti......hopefully power will be MUCH UP....

Does anyone know whether or not I need the manifolds as well....??? I am pretty sure the 1.9gti's are identical in the 309 + 205's....If I use my 205's existing manifolds I can keep the costs down.... head_ban

Advertisement
    1993 205 GTI
    2009 MX5

Keep me posted. I'll be ineterested to see the differences. How much is it costing? Don't forget to advance the cam 4 degrees.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hey PeterT,

No probs. Cost is 40pounds.....not sure about shipping yet, the seller is investigating this. The risk's are many, but hey what the hell...apparently a UK friend has told me that parts there are dirt cheap.....but again you don't know what you are getting until it arrives.... black_ey
    1993 205 GTI
    2009 MX5

Peter, advance the single cam? Didn't you say this is the case for the inlet in the twin cam. Is it true of the single cam motor too?
    If it's a complete UK head (with cam) nothing needs to be advanced surely. Or am I wrong.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

I'm sure the manifold is the same, but the British car wouldn't have had a cat. The Aussie cars exhaust narrows to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inches before the cat and stays thin after it. I would think just widen the input and output of the cat, by cutting the ends of so they are 2 or 2 1/4 inches wide at this point and get exhaust made to suit from there to the blunt end. It's cheaper than fitting a new universal cat.Is the British head unleaded or Super? Leaded I suspect. i.e. WHat is the story of the valve seats
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Warwick,

UK guys have advised me that all leaded GTIs can run on unleaded from new cause they all have hardened valve seats and that none of the early ones were designed for unleaded so they work better on Optimax & the like.

I have also read that to retune a detuned Oz motor, you need to advance the timing by 4 degrees. A past article on here has a great comparison between the 130hp & 105hp heads...
    1993 205 GTI
    2009 MX5

Yes, both the 8V and 16V cat. motors have a different pulley to retard the inlet timing 4 degrees.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information