205GTi6 Exhaust
  • Help

Thread: 205GTi6 Exhaust

205GTi6 Exhaust

Hi All,

Conversions going well albeit slowly!!!

Just a few more plumbing items to sort (mainly emission control hoses) and its off to the exhaust shop, marking the end of my involvement so to speak. When the exhaust shop is finished, I'll "push" the car to the radiator shop for a custom radiator (2 workshop doors away). Then "push" the car to the auto sparky (4 workshop doors away) - and that will be it! (more or less).

It would great to know what you all recommend exhaust-wise for the GTi6 motor. Obviously I want to liberate as many kilowatts as possible without waking the neighbours everytime I arrive home late. (shame about power being proportional to sound).

The new system will be full stainless (utilising the sexy factory manifold which I wrapped in ThermoTec tape and the stainless Magnaflow back box I already have).

Advertisement

My initial thoughts where to run 2.5" pipe straight through with high flow cat and mandrel bents throughout. I could add a stainless resonator afterwards if it was a bit noisy and/or low-down torque suffered.

The original 1.9L had 2.25" press-bent pipe throughout, standard manifold and cat with the aforementioned Magnaflow back box. Sounded great - had a real raspy bark particularly when you gunned it. After 6 months I added a 24" hotdog reasonator installed in reverse. This smoothed out the note and reduced back-firing significantly whilst not greatly hindering flow.

As one would expect, the GTi6 motor will flow a lot more gas so what do you think? Am I right thinking 2.5" or should I opt for something else?

Regards
    Goat

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    standard the GTi-6 has a 2.25 mandrel bent system anyway and it seems to do the job fairly well
    have a talk to northshore rallysport as they make systems for the GTi-6 but as to what gain they get i am not sure
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC
    Goat:
    Hi All,

Conversions going well albeit slowly!!!
    Are you the guy that Gerry from Allpikes was talking about ? - he mentioned someone was putting a GTi-6 engine in a 205 the other day. Sounds awesome - hope you've got lots of "how to" pictures to put up on the web somewhere.

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

yeah thats me - what that Gerry at Allpikes doesn't know about Pugs is worth knowing - he's been an extremely good source of information.

So far this has been a 9 month project and I'm absolutely dying to drive my car again - engine converted or not. I barely have time to spend on the car let alone post pictures somewhere. Coupled to the fact that I wouldn't know how and this all sounds like a piss-poor excuse.

For all the Perth people I do promise, however, to attend drive days etc when completed. It would be great to catch up with fellow enthusiasts and talk Pug stuff all day.

Goat (aka Jeff)

Jeff, great to hear it's all coming together

Look forward to having another hot 205 on Perth streets (and track??)

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

Hi Goat,
    Gerry also told me about your car and the hard time you had with the clutch linkage setup. The car should hammer when you finish it. I'll bring some popcorn and watch you and wrx2pug go at it if/when there is a 205 meet. ;-)

<small>[ 08 May 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: fat bastard ]</small>
    Present: 406 petrol 2.0 turbo 97(GB Import), 205 gti 1.9 89, Yamaha TZR250 3xv 93 (Jap Import)

Past: 205 gti 1.6 1988 (Singpr Import), Citroen 1.9 BX16valve, 405 1.9 mi16, 405 2.0 mi16,
    205 si 93, Mini GT, Datsun SSS x3, Dodge Ram, kingswood, Yamaha TZR250 2ma x2

Hey mate...You've left your Barina's lights on

Yeah - that was as pain - but it seems to work well now (touch wood!!).

Although I've heard the BE3 5 speeds are pretty tough, my main concern is whether it will cope with the extra power - time will tell.

I think the biggest challenge is yet to come - wiring. My auto sparky knows his stuff but I don't think he's going to like working in this cramped little engine bay. With the 16v head and the extractors theres just no room to manouvre. I have been warned by Ecosse that its quite tricky getting all the dash gauges working properly with the GTi6 computer (tacho mainly I think)

I mentioned in a previous post that I may have terminal dramas with the computer anyway. In their infinite wisdom, Peugeot decided to include a "lock down" feature on their late model computers. The computer must be disconnected from the original vehicle in such a way so as to keep this lock down function disabled. This motor apparently came from the UK as a 'motor only' import and I think the likelihood that the computer was disconnected properly is slim.

So I might be looking for a new engine management system (that wasn't in the budget!!) Any suggestions?

The sparky said there might be the possibility of hacking into the system and unlocking it but I won't know until he gets his hands on it - hopefully that won't be long now.

Goat

HI Goat from Perth,
    306GTi6 engine in a 205 GTi? Awesome! Keep us posted....I take it that you are a mechanic...

dance
    *********A.K.A Eddy W*********
    " NOS! I need NOS!!...."
    92 PUG 205 GTi SIII Race Green... gone..gone..gone..

Not a mechanic (designer) I just ask the right people a lot of questions.

Goat

Thread Information