pagid brake pads vs ebc greenstuff?
  • Help

pagid brake pads vs ebc greenstuff?

hey all,
    today i went to order some new pads for my 205, they looked up what greenstuff ones to get me then just as i was about to pay they told me that if i wasnt going to really use them for track use then i was better off using pagid brake pads? anyone with experience with these? apparantly they'll dump a heap of dust onto your rims but they work good and thats what i'm after wink

Advertisement

Speaking from my experience with WRXs, I always used Pagids for both road and race and found them to be excellent.

They do have various grades though (I used to use blue) but note that a harder pad will handle the heat of motorsport but take a fair bit longer to warm up during normal road driving and won't have the initial bite of a softer pad.

I've heard mixed reports re Greenstuff's so perhaps someone with direct experience can let you know.

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

I've got Greenstuff pads on my 205 and found them to be excellent on the street and on the track.

Even after many laps on the track they did not fade. For the money they are great for a light car. I have heard that on heavier cars they aren't as good and can fade after a few track laps.

Darren

I fitted EBC Greenstuff pads to my Clio Sport a couple of weeks ago and so far they have been an improvement over the standard pads. I will be taking them to the track for the first time tomorrow, so I will let you know how they hold up.

I think the fact that they produce negligible amounts of brake dust is a huge plus for anyone who is not keen on cleaning their shiney new alloys every five minutes!

Greenstuff pads do create brake dust at a track day, my wheels were black after 35 laps at wakefield!
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

For out-right track stuff EBC green's are not as good as Pagid's but are a good road/track alternative.
    If the car is to be driven on the the street with race type Pagid, then expect some issues.
    If your discs are up to handling the extra heat the go for Pagids/EBC Redstuff and take care on the road.
    If not try and find a Hawks/EBC (ie greens) to compremise beetween road and track.
    Also consider disc wear too... pad metal content and so forth.
    Cheers Xq

ps don't forget to get some new DOT4
    ... ptui!

Since it just got mentioned, if I put greenstuff on my standard rotors, would they chew my rotors? I have the '90 205gti

Also what are the noticeable differences b/w dot 4 and 3 fluids?
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

two-oh-philic:
    Since it just got mentioned, if I put greenstuff on my standard rotors, would they chew my rotors? I have the '90 205gti

Also what are the noticeable differences b/w dot 4 and 3 fluids?
    The EBC "greens" have a relatively low metal/pad content so they aren't too bad at all.
    Dot4 fluids have generally a higher boiling point but generally absorb moister/water quicker too, hence require more maintenance/flushing etc..
    But they handle track stuff a little better too.
    Not generally as long lasting as DOT3.
    cheers XQ
    ... ptui!

I think two-oh-phillic makes a good point. I've never done anything on track, only enthusiastic road use, but I can tell ya the standard rotors on a 205 GTi are damn soft!! They are not like jap rotors. Mine needed changing only on the 2nd set of pads! I used Pagids Road Pad and dont seem to notice much diff on the road.... maybe takes abit longer to heat up and bite, so if I had a choice, I'd prob. go back to a softer pad unless changing into harder rotors.... (just an opinion)
    *********A.K.A Eddy W*********
    " NOS! I need NOS!!...."
    92 PUG 205 GTi SIII Race Green... gone..gone..gone..

xqisid
    The EBC "greens" have a relatively low metal/pad content so they aren't too bad at all.
    XQ[/QB]
    EBC green stuff are great pads highly recommended by yours truly for all applications with ONE RESERVATION....
    If you are gonna use them for track work there is a rather good chance they will warp your disks if you are using the original items. The original disks are softer than "Jap" ones and are also thinner to reduce rotational mass of the car making them more sports orientated ("every single gram helps"). The downside is their high likelyhood of "hotspotting".
    I am not sure about the 205's or non-GTi 306's disks. But be warned. The upside of the soft disks is their legendary Porsche 911 like braking.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I did many laps at Wakefield with my standard rotors and Greenstuff pads and had no problem with warping the disks or hot spots.

For the price of the pads I couldn't think of a better low-cost braking upgrade.

Plus, if your rotors do warp, its a good excuse to get some DBA or EBC slotted rotors.

Darren

Fellow Frogger!
    so which is best to attend to "first" in light of road/race?

1. std rotor / upgraded pad
    2. upgraded rotor / std pad
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

Ashley

From my experience with a 405 Mi16 tarmac rally car which i use on road to drive to hillclimbs, rallysprints, etc. Go for slotted rotor upgrade and use OE(std) pads. You will get a fantastic pedal, non sqeaky pads for road use and great performance for track, if you are doing 3-5 laps per stint.
    If however you are doing longer races or tarmac rallying, a competition pad with a higher metallic content will fade less. It is not hard to swap the front pads from std to race/ & back to std agin when you need, with the Girling calipers on my car.
    My penny's worth.
    Don

It is best to go for an upgraded pad if you only want to spend a little bit.

Remember that if you want to get new rotors you will have to get new pads anyway as the old pads will have shaped themselves to the face of the old ones.

You will be pleasantly surpised by the added braking ability afforded by better pads.

Darren

...... id get Tarox 6-pot L/W calipers, Tarox 350mm 10-slots front and back rotors, Hawk Extreme pads all round, DOT-5 fluid, and 4-way in-cabin propertioning valve...... on second thought maybe not, wallet would faint.
    cheers Xq

ps, id wait and do pads/discs at the same time, front only is fine.
    ... ptui!

Replacement discs (non genuine Brembo) were only $72 ea a couple of years ago, which I consider to be fairly cheap. The std original discs do seem soft. Warpage is normally caused by people working the brakes hard , and then stopping without a cooldown period of a lap or so, causing the disc to warp, when stopped, as the cooling rate where the caliper is, being much different to the rest of the disc.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Fellow Frogger!
    thks gents.
    i've gone the pad option EBC greenstuff (rotor upgrade will depend on the existing wear on the originals) ...
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

Fellow Frogger!
    Replacement Rotors (Non Genuine) are about $80 each, and you can get DiscTech Pads, that claim to be 700 degrees+ and great for performance use, they are about $70 a pair from
    European Auto Imports (03) 98996683.

How much were the Greenstuff pads?, and where can you get them from??
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

i got greenstuff pads for my 206 from EBC distibuters on Mahoney's road in thomastown (Melbourne) - not sure about adelaide though. they were about $240 for front and rear (i think the rears were only $90 or so.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Lucin: GTI? Cause I bought EBC green rears for my S16 and they were $160. I am pretty sure they are the same pad.

$140 for the front. Supply and demand huh?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

that will be my next mod on my car i`ve be hearing good things about ebc greenstuff,and are lot of ppl on here use them and a very happy
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Thread Information